Are people who use smart phones smarter?

amvet

2 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Back in the good ol' days I hear tell of a contraption called an answering machine. People could leave a message and you could return their call at your convenience. I'm positive your fancy phone has that function. Is every incoming call potentially that urgent that it can't wait 10 minutes for you go get out of the shower? You stated that you had children 40-50 years old. That gives some clue as to your age, so please, please tell me you don't Face-Time while in the shower. That already leaves a mental image I'm struggling to delete.

The issue has nothing to do with answering the phone in the shower. Nor is it to do with answering the phone immediately. Bogus argument. What it is to do with is that if the call is from overseas without WhatsApp it will not be made due to the cost and the call will not be answered for the same reason.  Also, the smartphone user has access to wi-fi.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, amvet said:

Like savages in the jungle when first presented new technology.  First emotion is fear.  You have to be educated in the proper use of a smart phone for it to make a meaningful contribution to your life.  In a couple of years 80% of the world will use them so it's going to be forced on you the same as bank accounts were forced on people to collect pensions instead of cash.  Women in Thailand used to be topless and men used to wear skirts.  Any fool could have predicted eventually women would wear tops and men would wear pants same as I'm predicting you all will eventually get a smart phone.  Resistance if futile.

I'm not sure that resistance is completely futile. I have both friends and family who just ain't ever going to make the transition so I just have to live with and manage that. Assuming they do use email, I do use that facility on the phone and use the phone's camera to post them some images.

I have 2 Android smart phones but most of what I like to do requires a PC i.e. document, music, and video editing ... and anyone in US can call me on my SKYPE US phone number and rings right through to me in Thailand on the PC. I only carry the smart phones when I go somewhere but I hardly ever go somewhere.

Plus I use Twitter a lot where my Twitter posts link to other websites and while you can do that on a smartphone, I don't.

Edited by JLCrab

12 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I have 2 Android smart phones but most of what I like to do requires a PC i.e. document, music, and video editing ... and anyone in US can call me on my SKYPE US phone number and rings right through to me in Thailand on the PC. I only carry the smart phones when I go somewhere but I hardly ever go somewhere.

Plus I use Twitter a lot where my Twitter posts link to other websites and while you can do that on a smartphone, I don't.

Do you throw baht coins out the window at insects?  Why use SKYPE when Messenger for voice or video calls are free and just as good quality?

4 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Well I guess SKYPE should be out of business by now but it isn't.

They are closing the Sweden office and not replacing it.  Microsoft owns SKYPE.  I guess they can stay open as long as they like.  I'd be more likely to bet on Messenger, What's app and Line. 

So you can call people on Messenger as long as the other person is on Messenger? Who cares where SKYPE is HQ'd. I can call anyone whether they are on SKYPE or not. And the main reason I have it is to maintain a legal presence in the USA which for me is essential.

Edited by JLCrab

So you can call people on Messenger as long as the other person is on Messenger? Who cares where SKYPE is HQ'd. I can call anyone whether they are on SKYPE or not. And the main reason I have it is to maintain a legal presence in the USA which for me is essential.

SKYPE also has voicemail for unanswered calls. Not sure if LINE has that function?

12 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I use google voice for my USA phone number and who doesn't have facebook?  About 220 million facebook users in the USA.  I'm not saying SKYPE is a bad idea but for me Messenger is easier as I can send text, video or voice in an instant.  Messenger is a separate app so I can run one facebook account and a different Messenger account.  For example I have a separate Messenger on my computer that I log into without logging into facebook. 

8 minutes ago, Gregster said:

SKYPE also has voicemail for unanswered calls. Not sure if LINE has that function?

Messenger has voicemail and video mail and text messages.  Of course as mentioned before I think you must also have Messenger.  I don't use Line that much because wife is on there all the time. 

Edited by amvet

Messenger has voicemail and video mail and text messages.  Of course as mentioned before I think you must also have Messenger.  I don't use Line that much because wife is on there all the time. 

Can you call landline phones with Messenger....like you can SKYPE?

7 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Completely irrelevant George. I am not talking about using the phone for banking and clearly you have no idea what it means to register for a Line account. As I said earlier, once one demolishes each objection to using a smartphone, the dumb phone user retreats to another excuse. In your case we are now into the security nut phase. Why? Because having no practical argument against using WhatsApp or Line, let's burble on a bit more about phone zombies and security issues. I'm swapping Line IDs with friends and girls in Thailand who just really and I mean really, just hear your stuff as old geezer talk. Actually, its not quite just old geezer talk, its scared old geezer talk.

Obviously, using a phone does not impart good manners or civility.

I like SKYPE. No one I know has ever told me they prefer to use LINE, Facebook, or anything else. The Thai girls call me and hang up and I call them back. None of them speaks or reads/writes English so it works fine.

I have had Google Voice, Facebook and LindIn accounts in the past. I like what I'm doing now.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

The issue has nothing to do with answering the phone in the shower. Nor is it to do with answering the phone immediately. Bogus argument. What it is to do with is that if the call is from overseas without WhatsApp it will not be made due to the cost and the call will not be answered for the same reason.  Also, the smartphone user has access to wi-fi.

The issue is if smartphones makes people smarter, not what you are on about.

Certainly makes some ruder.

43 minutes ago, amvet said:

I use google voice for my USA phone number and who doesn't have facebook?  About 220 million facebook users in the USA.  I'm not saying SKYPE is a bad idea but for me Messenger is easier as I can send text, video or voice in an instant.  Messenger is a separate app so I can run one facebook account and a different Messenger account.  For example I have a separate Messenger on my computer that I log into without logging into facebook. 

who doesn't have facebook?

Around 6.350 billion people

I still have close friends in the USA who are in rural areas without cell phone coverage and one still has no high-speed computer connection and has to use dial up -- goes into town to the library when he wants to do high-speed wi-fi hookup.

8 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Facebook when I joined invaded my email accounts and sent out a message Hey would you like to join JLCrab on Facebook?

Nuts to that. Some of those people would prefer that I didn't even exist.

Never happened to me.  You must have clicked something.  Ask Facebook. 

On 15/09/2017 at 1:44 PM, amvet said:

It is the framework which changes with each new technology and not just the picture within the frame. One of my old teachers said that.

That's why people will get smarter.

Last week I upgraded my computer to run Augmented Reality.  It will eventually take over the market.  The key to making students smarter is using technology they like, for example smart phones to assist learning and critical thinking.   One begins to understand that if you concentrate on the framework and not what is in the frame. 

augmentedreality-grid.jpg

Are you a productive and active person that interacts with humans on a day to day basis?

Or, are you now a slave to the machines and live with your parents on a generous allowance?

How you can suggest "smart phones" can make people smarter when the evidence is the complete opposite I can only think is because your brain has also atrophied to the point of submission to the US Global Masters: Apple, MS, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Starbucks, McDonnell's etc.

:biggrin:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Are you a productive and active person that interacts with humans on a day to day basis?

Or, are you now a slave to the machines and live with your parents on a generous allowance?

How you can suggest "smart phones" can make people smarter when the evidence is the complete opposite I can only think is because your brain has also atrophied to the point of submission to the US Global Masters: Apple, MS, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Starbucks, McDonnell's etc.

What evidence that smart phones makes one dull?  The evidence is the complete opposite. I can only think it is because your brain has atrophied that you would not recognize the complexity of the photo you commented on and its obvious merit for intelligence in the future.  

Have you also eschewed all technology like the other nutters commenting on anti tech bias?   

Of course I'm an active and productive person evidenced by the fact I moved from a nanny state 20 years ago to face the hazards and trials of living in a 3rd world country and the excitement that life here brings. 

Last night the Thai family was visiting to watch Mission Impossible dubbed in Thai on my giant screen TV and I used my smart phone to listen to the audio in English while they listened in Thai.  Not an easy intellectual accomplishment.  I imagine you could not even figure out how I did it. 

Edited by amvet

6 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

'A slave to the machines'. You have got to be joking George. One simple question. Given that you are presumably a 'productive and active person', why should anybody have to spend money sending you a text message or making a phone call to you?

27 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Well I've only been here 14 years but I don't feel that I've had to face any significant amount of hazard and trials. Maybe you just like to make life difficult for yourself and your smart phone is more like this:

latest?cb=20090301044429

Basically down to your choice of women and employment.  I worked for the Thai Army and considered Soi Six a marriage agency.  The smart phone remembers my cache of defensive implements, maps with back doors of pubs, and emergency phone contacts for high speed extractions and language assistance when flight to other countries seems wise.  Ever had a major operation alone in a Thai hospital where no one spoke English?   Ever paid hill tribe people to smuggle you over a border?  Ever had a stroke in a Thai entertainment complex during a riot?  Or try flipping off a group of motorcycle taxi drivers when they insult your girlfriend (that's a fun one).