Coast of build this home?

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

As everyone (a rough guess) who has built here, and had to leave during the build, would say out loud...you must be here for the build.  Things don't happen the same if you, not your wife, are not here.

'Thailand building code 101'

I agree, and would like nothing better, but unfortunately I don't have that luxury . So far I am personally very impressed by my builder, and he comes highly recommended  . 

I realize  that past performance does not guarantee future results. I am mostly concerned with the structural integrity of the basic structure, any other problems can be repaired later. Let's hope there are none, and even if there are some, they are minor.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, carlyai said:

As everyone (a rough guess) who has built here, and had to leave during the build, would say out loud...you must be here for the build.  Things don't happen the same if you, not your wife, are not here.

'Thailand building code 101'

Was on site for my entire build, apart from avoiding some very simple but potentially disastrous misinterpretations by the builders, it had one supreme benefit. It enabled me to make numerous changes to the plan as we went along. 

Sheepishly apologised to my builder about this one day and he said it was perfectly normal, Thai owners being the worst at changing their minds....several times.

Price is right, i would not start the building without being present. Especially for the footings, slab, pillars etc. That is the foundation of the building and must be done as good as possible.

If work does not allow you to be present, start the build later. What is a few months but just a little time in the great scheme of things.

11 hours ago, Khun Jean said:

Price is right, i would not start the building without being present. Especially for the footings, slab, pillars etc. That is the foundation of the building and must be done as good as possible.

If work does not allow you to be present, start the build later. What is a few months but just a little time in the great scheme of things.

I think he was leaving Sunday.

On 9/24/2017 at 1:58 PM, Khun Jean said:

Back in the US now 22 hr trip,:sad: take shower,  eat something, hope I can sleep got to go to work tomorrow, many fires to put out.

I could not agree with you more, and I would like nothing more than for me to be there, but either now or later it will not be possible, Until I later retire, and I don't want to wait until then.

In my business I have learned to delegate responsibility, the  instinct to micromanage is also strong in me, but I try to responsible  (operative word here is responsively) overcome it.

I understand the perils of not being there, Thai workers working as laborers in construction, for obvious reasons do not live in farang style houses, and like everyone else tend to try to do what they are familiar with.That's why they need strong supervision. 

I looked at the work my builder has done and it was impecable, I talked to people he has build and they were very impressed by him. I also talked to him  and I am also very impressed.

Of course time will tell... They say " in Thailand , don't invest more than you can afford to lose".  I am hesitant to talk about money, I don't want to sound like some arrogant Ahole, but I work in a very expensive market where I can barely afford to maintain a middle class lifestyle , but where $60,000 is not a lot of money. 

Like everyone else, I don't want to lose a penny, but if things did not work out  it will not kill me.

So let's see . if it works ,,, Great, if it does not , expensive lesson learned.

PS: maried to a great Thai lady over 10 years, being coming there a lot longer than that, I am well aware of  All the Good that make Thailand so desirable, and all the bad that are so frustrating.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Too many  replies to answer, will look at them this weekend , Thank you all for good wishes.:smile:

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Back in the US now 22 hr trip,:sad: take shower,  eat something, hope I can sleep got to go to work tomorrow, many fires to put out.

I could not agree with you more, and I would like nothing more than for me to be there, but either now or later it will not be possible, Until I later retire, and I don't want to wait until then.

In my business I have learned to delegate responsibility, the  instinct to micromanage is also strong in me, but I try to responsible  (operative word here is responsively) overcome it.

I understand the perils of not being there, Thai workers working as laborers in construction, for obvious reasons do not live in farang style houses, and like everyone else tend to try to do what they are familiar with.That's why they need strong supervision. 

I looked at the work my builder has done and it was impecable, I talked to people he has build and they were very impressed by him. I also talked to him  and I am also very impressed.

Of course time will tell... They say " in Thailand , don't invest more than you can afford to lose".  I am hesitant to talk about money, I don't want to sound like some arrogant Ahole, but I work in a very expensive market where I can barely afford to maintain a middle class lifestyle , but where $60,000 is not a lot of money. 

Like everyone else, I don't want to lose a penny, but if things did not work out  it will not kill me.

So let's see . if it works ,,, Great, if it does not , expensive lesson learned.

PS: maried to a great Thai lady over 10 years, being coming there a lot longer than that, I am well aware of  All the Good that make Thailand so desirable, and all the bad that are so frustrating.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Too many  replies to answer, will look at them this weekend , Thank you all for good wishes.:smile:

Good post 

I wonder if you have thought about recording steps with video.......perhaps just photos would be better.....to record critical stages like rebar before pour etc.

However you know better than us about the builder, you may be right to give him his head who knows.

Forget it and sleep a while.....ZZZzzzzzzzz.....

Edited by cheeryble