Internet Is Upside Down - 76 Down, 356 Up On A 1024/512 Business Line

yankee-expat

I'm getting weird results as well from different points, using True 2560/512 Kbps package non business account.

Test from Thaivisa:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 769 kbps (96.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 303 kbps (37.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Speakeasy speed test: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Test from Speakeasy NY:

Download Speed: 49 kbps

Upload Speed: 122 kbps

Test from Speakeasy LA:

Download Speed: 47 kbps

Upload Speed: 126 kbps

Test from Numion:

Download Speed: 93.77 kilobit/sec

Upload Speed: 409.77 kilobit/sec

===============================================================================

I'm getting weird results as well from different points, using True 2560/512 Kbps package non business account.

Test from Thaivisa:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 769 kbps (96.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 303 kbps (37.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

===============================================================================

I used to get better results than True 2.5mbs on TOT 1mbs.

Down: about 860 kbs

Up: 399 kbs

Proves that True's playing with numbers ....

But wait, these are the numbers for localnet (source adslthailand)

===============================================

Your current bandwidth reading is: 154.10kbps

which means you can download at 19.26 KB/sec. from our servers.

===============================================

So maybe the Taiwan cables are not to blame today if localnet is also slow ... (normally 860 kbs).

Test Time: January 8, 2007, 12:03 pm

Edited by sniffdog

True's service can be very weird. One of my friends had the same identical service installed, one at his work place and one at his house, a kilometer away. Both places got identical local speed test results, but vastly different international results... the one at his house got around 10% of rated speed, while the one at the work place got 70% rated speed.

Another friend had identical True DSL services at two office locations, around 2km apart, and at his home, 1km away. One office and the home services absolutely horrible international speeds (local speeds OK), to the point that Skype calls were patchy. The one at the other office had incredible (really, I was shocked, I felt that hel_l had frozen over or the apocalypse had come) international speeds, nearly 100% rated speed.

So all I can say is that True is a hit and miss affair, mostly miss, but if you're lucky you'll get a hit.

I have Buddy broadband 256/128 and surfing international (mainly US/hotmail Etc.) homepages works fine while Thaivisa is slow as a snail, as is other Asian server based homepages. Testing with Speakeasy I get about 280/380 (no typo!) via both NY and LA so nothing to complain about there.

The TV speedtest (to test via Singapore Etc.) can hardly load - I have given up trying for now - but it is obviously located in an area affected by the cable cuts too. Loading a TV page takes 1-2 minutes when it does not completely time out....argh....

Any tips is appreciated but I guess this will be the case until cables fixed...

Cheers!

Firefan, we need to do a swap. I'm on a 1Mb connection and Thai Visa is now faster than ever, 100KBs. I still get 860/450 with the speed test but many overseas sites are loading at less than 10% of normal speed. Before the cable problem l could download a 5Mb file in a minute, now a 1Mb file can take up to 10 minutes to download from outside Thailand.