Gov't Proposes 6 Months Paid Maternity Leave, Debate Ensues

webfact

Gov't Proposes 6 Months Paid Maternity Leave, Debate Ensues

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

Baby-Child-Care-Paternity-633453-696x522.jpg  

Photo: Max Pixel

BANGKOK — Paid maternity leave of 180 days could be passed early next year if it wins approval from several ministerial departments including public health and labor welfare.

The measure, which would double the current period and has drawn proponents and detractors alike, is being proposed as a way to encourage mothers to breastfeed infants and follows a recent act which banned marketing of artificial breastmilk substitutes.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2017/09/18/govt-proposes-6-months-paid-maternity-leave-debate-ensues/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-09-18

Awesome news! A little late for my family, but I'm glad for all the future parents. It really is so much better for a child to be with their parent (father or mother) than to be at a nursery or with other family members. Breastfeeding is just one of many benefits that this will bring (if it is passed).

I am very much a proponent of both woman's and children's rights. 

However, six months? Three months- sure, but six months?

If I were a small business owner, I would not hire a woman of child-bearing age to work for me; the cost of carrying that employee for six months would be too much. Apologies if that sounds a bit harsh, but I do think it is an economic reality.

Cheers

If I were a small business owner, I would not hire a woman of child-bearing age to work for me; the cost of carrying that employee for six months would be too much. Apologies if that sounds a bit harsh, but I do think it is an economic reality.

Cheers

Good thing for society thar you are not a small business owner then.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There will be a lot of unemployed young ladies here in Thailand.

Family planning!?

Let their social insurance pay them during their absence.

Not fair to the employer at any length of time it is a conscious decision by the employee so they have to bear the responsibility.

This would also encourage more adherence to Social Insurance requirements here in The Kingdom.

18 hours ago, Stradavarius37 said:

Good thing for society thar you are not a small business owner then.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think his original comment is fair that is why in the west it is way less than this, why would someone risk hiring a lady of child bearing age running a small business when you will end up paying them for nothing for such a long time? I don't think it's harsh at all (the original comment) 

With an economically incompetent military government running the show while walking the slow path to bankruptcy with it's multitude of expensive military toys and HS trains criss-crossing the country this parental generosity plan will be short lived when budget reality takes hold. 

With Thailand 4.0 at a standstill and with all the wondrous Prayut 20 year plans ahead Thailand will eventually be left in the dust of it's other prospering neighbours and eventually become the Greece of Asia. 

On 9/18/2017 at 2:53 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

Cheers

No apologies needed I would do the same thing

15 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

•  
  On 9/18/2017 at 2:53 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

Cheers

Assuming that the woman's duties were important (as otherwise, why would she be employed in the first place?), the employer would not only have to pay her maternity leave for six months while not working, but also have to employ someone else in her place, assuming that anyone would accept the position just for a six month period.

This would make women less likely to be employed if a man was applying for the same job with similar qualifications and also reduce Thailand's competitiveness against other Asian countries with lower womens' rights.

5 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:
  •  
  On 9/18/2017 at 2:53 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

Cheers

Assuming that the woman's duties were important (as otherwise, why would she be employed in the first place?), the employer would not only have to pay her maternity leave for six months while not working, but also have to employ someone else in her place, assuming that anyone would accept the position just for a six month period.

This would make women less likely to be employed if a man was applying for the same job with similar qualifications and also reduce Thailand's competitiveness against other Asian countries with lower womens' rights.

It looks like too many are against this I can understand someone leaving for  3 moths 

As a matter of fact My sister in law ( Thai)  had been working for 11 months for a company was pregnant and had the baby  Took a  3 month leave with pay and then after just quite 

Prime example of someone taking advantage of the system

If you are going to do it have staggered maternity payments over a year so she does not get up and quite after