ASH Thailand says e-cigarette is harmful to health

webfact

ASH Thailand says e-cigarette is harmful to health

By Thai PBS

2009001.png

BANGKOK: -- The Action on Smoking and Health Foundation or ASH Thailand insists electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes is harmful to health.

Warning of the danger of e-cigarettes came from ASH Thailand executive secretary Professor Dr Prakit Vathesatogkit as advocates to vaping claim it is safe to health.

One strong advocate to electronic cigarettes is Mr Maris Karunyawat after he posted on his Facebook page informing the benefit of e-cigarettes and encouraging tobacco smokers to e-cigarettes citing laboratory tests by scientists that e-cigarettes is 95% safer than tobacco cigarettes.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ash-thailand-says-e-cigarette-harmful-health/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-20

12 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Convienently, he forgot to say non e-cigs are more dangerous, and he is on the payroll of local tabacco companies which don't sell e-cigs.  

I didn't see that on his CV, a lot of groups and bodies opposed to smoking yeah, tobacco companies, Nah.

Thai "experts" know more than everyone else in the world.

But seriously..... It is understood (in the real world) that E-cigarettes are probably harmful to your health, BUT less harmful than regular cigarettes.

Funny how many forget ($$$) to mention the last part of this.

According to a report sponsored by UK’s Department of Health and published by Public Health England – a prestigious group of highly qualified scientists, researchers and public health professionals – electronic cigarettes are at least 95 percent safer than tobacco cigarettes. The report also recognizes their potential as a viable approach to quitting smoking. 

In the US, however, electronic cigarettes are looked upon nearly as evil a product as tobacco cigarettes. Quite interestingly, the American Heart Association (AHA) took a rather cautious stance in contrary to the popular belief in the country. In the 20-page statement published in 2014, the AHA suggested that e-cigs are less hazardous than tobacco cigarettes, and vaping can actually help smokers quit. Here’s a small section copied from the report:

“E-cigarettes either do not contain or have lower levels of several tobacco-derived harmful and potentially harmful constituents compared with cigarettes and smokeless tobacco… [e-cigarettes] present an opportunity for harm reduction if smokers use them as substitutes for cigarettes.”

the above from :
 https://quitsmokingcommunity.org/how-to-quit-smoking/vaping-vs-smoking/

Quite conclusive, so, all other arguments are based on Economics and Profits .... not objective Medical and Pharmaceutical research .... 

take for example this statement:
"
In addition, scientists also found that those vaping e-cigarettes have tendency to turn to conventional smoking."  
( Sure, Nicotine is addictive, but by reducing the Nicotine intake, the addiction risks become smaller.
Also, why would someone bother with smelly tobacco, lighter, disposing of ash and butt, when he is used to a relatively clean alternative. 
Would love to read the methodology they used to come to this conclusion, the questionnaire they have used, and assess the quality of the work.
When asking someone who has not used nicotine before, but was a test person in the research, maybe 30 or 40 % will answer that instead of 0 % chance, now they will have a 5 % chance of starting to use tobacco.)

Or this rather revealing "confirmation" (along the line of kicking in an open door)
"Meanwhile the Department of Disease Control also affirmed that e-cigarette is harmful to health."
(Harmful, in comparison to what? in comparison to secondary smoke? cigars? cigarettes? car exhaust fumes? not being exposed to pollution ?)

Or my favorite, showing the biased approach more clearly than anything else 
"But Dr Prakit rebuffed the claim saying the tests claimed by the e-cigarette advocate was untrue and was not accepted by scientists, particularly in the United States."

(Well done, if the research into his statements is at the same level as that of his e-vaps, then we know that we need to look further.
For example at, amongst others, the American Heart Association (AHA) and the British "Public Health England" (see above), who conduct primarily research how to prevent heart disease, are highly respected in their field, have a range of scientists that are happy to support their cause, and do not depend on e- and regular smoke or alcohol producers' grants.)

// Stop ranting, and going out for a breath of freshly polluted city air. ;-) //

Latest survey in 2015 showed that 4.7% of Thai male teenagers from 13-17 years-old chose to vaping while vaping among female teenagers was 1.9%, and the trend is growing.

This is the most interesting takeaway - even young Thai's vaping and I know older Thai's here who vape as well.

I predict a complete legal backflip on vaping in Thailand within 12-18 months, it will happen just before the Government owned tobacco firm prepares to launches its own range of taxable vapes and vaping devices. 

Taken from the original article...

In addition, scientists also found that those vaping e-cigarettes have tendency to turn to conventional smoking.

Taken from the UK Gov...

there is no evidence so far that e-cigarettes are acting as a route into smoking for children or non-smokers

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e-cigarettes-around-95-less-harmful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review

And a recent article from the NHS...

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-and-lungs/long-term-vaping-far-safer-than-smoking-says-landmark-study/

I think I would rather trust the UK’s NHS and the Governments word than our dear Professor  :mad:

I sure some think a Lie a day keeps the doctor way.

Same as the asbestos report a few weeks back when some idiot said it is not harmful, yet around the world their are millions of cases that have caused death and had massive court damages awarded. Here its about protecting the wealthy income and peoples health counts for jack Sh>>.

The outside world knows nothing according to some, but here they know everything, which is true if you are talking about corruption and properganda.

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

"billowing dense smoke"? you really don't understand do you?

I've been downwind of a few unfortunately. Massive clouds of dense vile smelling smoke exhaled by anti social users. Oh yes I understand all too well thank you very much. That is why they are banned in most buildings, buses, aircraft etc.

8 minutes ago, The manic said:

I've been downwind of a few unfortunately. Massive clouds of dense vile smelling smoke exhaled by anti social users. Oh yes I understand all too well thank you very much. That is why they are banned in most buildings, buses, aircraft etc.

It's not smoke it's vapour and as such rapidly dissipates in the atmosphere, you would have to be standing pretty close or in an enclosed space, in which case you wouldn't be downwind.

Don't smoke myself but my girlfriend vapes and is not interested in going back to regular cigarettes when visiting Thailand.

So sadly we have to stop visiting Thailand unless they change their mind on Ecigs again.

Been to Thailand/koh Samui 10 times since 2011 and it's our favorite country to visit and would miss is a lot,

but if Ecigs are banned and huge fines or even jail is an option, we have to find another place to spend our money.

Hopefully the thai government come to their senses and realize that E'cigs are not harmless by any means , but they are most likely healthier to use than conventional cigarettes and lift the ban again.

Until then our money is being spent in other countries.

Sucks big time that i might have to spend my next summer vacation not in Thailand :(

18 hours ago, The manic said:

They don't generate smoke. It is only you that is doing that, 'smoke and mirrors'

6 hours ago, Virt said:

Don't smoke myself but my girlfriend vapes and is not interested in going back to regular cigarettes when visiting Thailand.

So sadly we have to stop visiting Thailand unless they change their mind on Ecigs again.

Been to Thailand/koh Samui 10 times since 2011 and it's our favorite country to visit and would miss is a lot,

but if Ecigs are banned and huge fines or even jail is an option, we have to find another place to spend our money.

Hopefully the thai government come to their senses and realize that E'cigs are not harmless by any means , but they are most likely healthier to use than conventional cigarettes and lift the ban again.

Until then our money is being spent in other countries.

Sucks big time that i might have to spend my next summer vacation not in Thailand :(

Are you serious? Stop coming because of a stupid  e-cig law. You really are risk adverse.