Receive OTP in the UK with AIS

stubuzz

I was in Hanoi in July and used AIS roaming and the Kasikorn bank internet facility to obtain the OTP to top up my AIS prepaid account numerous times (roaming is expensive)...I talked to an AIS rep on 1175 to set it up before I left Thailand as I only wanted phone calls and SMS and not data...can't remember if there was a charge for the OTP SMS, if ye speak to a rep on 1175 he/she can advise in this regard...

very handy...

9 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I was in Hanoi in July and used AIS roaming and the Kasikorn bank internet facility to obtain the OTP to top up my AIS prepaid account numerous times (roaming is expensive)...I talked to an AIS rep on 1175 to set it up before I left Thailand as I only wanted phone calls and SMS and not data...can't remember if there was a charge for the OTP SMS, if ye speak to a rep on 1175 he/she can advise in this regard...

very handy...

As above. You didn't need data enabled to receive SMS,. Next time turn Data Roaming off in the phone settings.

For AIS you can disable mobile data: *129*1# SEND,

to re-enable it" *129*2# SEND

Some find it safer to utilize the phone's OS: for Android: Settings, Data usage, toggle Cellular data to "OFF".

FWIW, SMS is not a guaranteed service, but assuming your phone has a GSM roaming signal you should be able to receive (and send) SMSes. You won't be charged for incoming SMSes. Most people have reported success here over the years, but it is dependent on the bank's originating SMS network, and the local service provider. There have been a few reports of issues as well. Turn your phone on and acquire a stable local signal before requesting the OTP; this might take a few minutes.

I receive SMSes - and missed calls ( I usually don't answer ) when roaming in many countries with both AIS and DTAC.

Archived