Are caffeine pills illegal in Thailand?

Santogold

Hi all,

I prefer to take caffeine pills instead of drinking coffee or energy drinks. A lot more convenient for me. I haven't been able to find any in the pharmacies. Online I've found conflicting reports...some articles saying they are actually illegal in Thailand, some saying they are legal, and some saying they are only illegal in certain provinces.

In case it matters, I'm in Chiang Mai. So what's the real answer, haha, are caffeine pills legal, or illegal, in Thailand (Chiang Mai specifically)?

I used to travel a lot on long haul flights and, on arrival, often onwards to a farm somewhere up country for a long day, or upcountry in China and no coffee available for early breakfast.

Although I prefer machine coffee, if no coffee available I would tip a one cup pack of black coffee on my tongue then swallow with bottled water.    Taste not so good but it certainly opened my eyes !

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

I bring them from Europe whenever i am over, as i couldnt find them here yet.

Hope i am not breaking the law.

Only downside I am now experiencing is that they come in 250mg pills while i would rather have 50-100mg pills.

I brought some from the US. When they checked my bags while entering Thailand they didn't say anything about the caffeine pills (I didn't know it would possibly be an issue at that time). They did ask me to pull out the creatine I had but that was because it was a powder. They said to put that at the top of the carry on next time so they could check it quickly instead of going through the entire thing (I had it at the bottom since it was heavy in my backpack.)

You can order caffeine tablets from Lazada and iHerb but I'm concerned that if order them there will be some Thai Policemen waiting for me in my apartment lobby or something. Hah. Definitely don't want to break the law so trying to find out if they are legal/illegal.

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

I bring them from Europe whenever i am over, as i couldnt find them here yet.

Hope i am not breaking the law.

Only downside I am now experiencing is that they come in 250mg pills while i would rather have 50-100mg pills.

So cut them in half.

Caffeine is not an illegal substance in Thailand, but there are no brands of caffeine-only pills registered with the Thai FDA for sale here (there are drugs registered that contain caffeine combined with other  ingrediants, mainly migraine remedies).

The ones being sold on Lazada are apparently marketed as a food supplement, which gets around the FDA registration requirement.

I think one is legally safe in buying them but should be sure ti be well informed of the hazards if taking it in large doses.

Thailand bans caffeine

No more coffee or tea in the country's northern provinces, in an attempt to curb methamphetamine manufacturers.

Six provinces in northern Thailand will be caffeine-free within a month because of a new law banning the substance, according to the Associated Press.

It's all because of methamphetamine: For those without a lab in the backyard, caffeine is an ingredient often found in the illegal drug. In recent years, methamphetamines have become a bigger problem in Thailand than heroin, which has enjoyed immense popularity in Southeast Asia, where opium grows readily in the subtropical environment. While Thai officials believe next-door-neighbor Myanmar is the major source of opium and heroin -- and now methamphetamines -- Myanmar officials say it is Thailand that is to blame. The government-run newspaper, New Light of Myanmar, recently accused Thailand of being a source for the chemicals used in the manufacture of the illegal stimulant.

Thai authorities denied the allegation, but have decided to ban caffeine in the northern provinces, which butt up against Myanmar and are a popular trade route for narcotics.

http://www.salon.com/2000/03/15/coffee_3/

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

IMHO, taking a caffeine pill instead of having a coffee - and they do have good coffee shops here in CM - would be like having sex with a rubber doll. The end result is the same, but nowhere near as satisfying.

Are you speaking for yourself or the doll ?

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Caffeine is not an illegal substance in Thailand, but there are no brands of caffeine-only pills registered with the Thai FDA for sale here (there are drugs registered that contain caffeine combined with other  ingrediants, mainly migraine remedies).

Are there any OTC migraine remedies with caffeine here in Thailand?  I always stock up when I'm in the USA, but would like to have a local source, if possible.

Why not drink an energy drink that has caffeine or eat coffee beans? You could coat them in chocolate. Or just eat with chocolate. I agree not the same as pills.

You could brew tea with many, many tea bags. Then freeze it and pop it like a pill.

Just some thoughts.

19 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Why not drink an energy drink that has caffeine or eat coffee beans? You could coat them in chocolate. Or just eat with chocolate. I agree not the same as pills.

You could brew tea with many, many tea bags. Then freeze it and pop it like a pill.

Just some thoughts.

I make my own cafeine pills (buy the powder in the Netherlands), reason not to take energy drinks or eat coffee beans are the following, energy drinks are full of sugar.. something I don't want to take. I dislike the taste of coffee never drink it so chewing beans would be a bad things. 

With a pill you got an exact dose plus its far less of a hassle and you get the same boost you get from coffee or an energy drink. 

Interesting video in this link

I personally use caffeine pills, but they are NOT legal in Thailand (not sure why), 

https://www.kingepic.com/thailand-drugs/

In the year 2000 22 tons of caffeine were seized in the north of Thailand. 22 tons is enough to produce 400 million Yabba pills.  https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=HJby3cGSEjoC&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=caffeine+in+thailand&source=bl&ots=1b6vWBbDB4&sig=2lG66tWaORzJMYuXsg3pVgbKMQ0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhmPXdrLrWAhXCN48KHVryAWE4ChDoAQhjMAc#v=onepage&q=caffeine in thailand&f=false

If you want a caffeine buzz then try this.

Miang

Miang: The Weird Thai Snack With More Caffeine Than a Cup of Coffee

June 21, 2013 by Kevin Cook | 4 Comments

Miang is a Thai snack made from fermented wild tea leaves wrapped up tightly into a chewable pouch that packs a caffeine buzz stronger than a cup of coffee. A bag full of these energy-boosting, antioxidant-rich treats only costs 5 baht (15 cents).

Miang

A bag of miang only costs 5 baht (15 cents).

Miang (mee-yang) is loaded with caffeine from wild tea leaves, so you’ll get a quick buzz of energy after chewing on it for a few minutes. And because miang is loaded with antioxidants, it’s said that chewing it everyday will make you appear younger (many elderly Thai people chew on miang regularly).

On 9/23/2017 at 9:03 AM, robblok said:

I make my own cafeine pills (buy the powder in the Netherlands), reason not to take energy drinks or eat coffee beans are the following, energy drinks are full of sugar.. something I don't want to take. I dislike the taste of coffee never drink it so chewing beans would be a bad things. 

With a pill you got an exact dose plus its far less of a hassle and you get the same boost you get from coffee or an energy drink. 

All true. Was just throwing out ideas. Good luck!

Just now, elgenon said:

All true. Was just throwing out ideas. Good luck!

Never bad to throw out some idea's for others they might work though I really think the energy drinks are the wrong way to go. Occasionally they might help but using them too much would give you really too much sugar. 

The chewing beans is a good idea though for those that do like coffee. I really never acquired the tast for coffee. 

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Never bad to throw out some idea's for others they might work though I really think the energy drinks are the wrong way to go. Occasionally they might help but using them too much would give you really too much sugar. 

The chewing beans is a good idea though for those that do like coffee. I really never acquired the tast for coffee. 

Well, there are sugar-free energy drinks. Though never looked for them in Thailand. Not sure sugar substitutes are a good idea.

23 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Well, there are sugar-free energy drinks. Though never looked for them in Thailand. Not sure sugar substitutes are a good idea.

I have not seen those in Thailand.. but I never really looked for them as I just took a cafeine pill. Sometimes it gives a nice boost. I try not to use it too often because the body does get used to it and then the effect is gone. (just like drinking coffee gives less of a energy kick over time)

On 9/24/2017 at 10:19 AM, robblok said:

I have not seen those in Thailand.. but I never really looked for them as I just took a cafeine pill. Sometimes it gives a nice boost. I try not to use it too often because the body does get used to it and then the effect is gone. (just like drinking coffee gives less of a energy kick over time)

Yes indeed. Any drug is like that. Witness the opiate addictions.

Archived