How to best stay 70 days in Thailand?

I'm planning on going to Thailand in October and back home for christmas. For various practical reasons, the most convenient dates for travelling mean that I would spend about 70 days in Thailand. The thought of standing in line at immigration and paying 2000 baht for an extension which I will only use 1/3 of doesn't seem that appealing... are there any better/cheaper alternatives when only staying slightly more than 60 days? Thought I've seen something about a 7 day extension somewhere?

As above:

I am afraid there is no better way than visiting the immigration office and pay the 1900 for a 30 day extension (I assume you travel on a tourist visa and do not qualify for a Non-O).

The 7 day extension is not cheaper/easier and would not gap the 10 days.

And a border run in high season?

Sure not convenient/cheap.

22 minutes ago, BadCash said:

Thought I've seen something about a 7 day extension somewhere?

There is no 7 day extension. Immigration give people 7 days to leave the country that don't qualify for an extension of stay or have an extension application refused. As you would qualify for a 30 day extension thats what they would give you for your 1,900 baht.

Unless you're staying very close to a border crossing getting an extension is your best option and almost certainly the cheapest.