New Phone Covers for Old Phones in Chiang Mai?

Stubby

Hi, folks. This is just a stab in the dark, but you never know.

If anyone knows of any phone shop in CM that can get hold of new phone covers for old phones, please let me know. I've asked a few and get met with fits of giggles. Actually, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but some people do seem quite amused by the fact I still have an old phone.

I do have a smartphone, and I love all its bells and whistles. But sometimes I like to travel light and stick the old Nokia e72 in a pocket. Trouble is the front cover's a bit knackered—hence this post. I sent off for one on eBay and it never arrived (happened twice with different sellers).

Anyway, the phone is as good and as reliable as it ever was. I can get a good five days from the battery between charges. I'm not ready to trash it, just yet.

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

Thanks for the responses guys. 

Dante99, it's not ready for Duct tape LOL :) And I tried to shop on Lazada once but never again. They won't accept PayPal or UK credit card. Shame because they do seem to carry stuff you can't find elsewhere.

Thailand (how did you get that handle?) I'm close to a Big C in Hang Dong. I have noticed the phone shops on the ground floor but for some reason never thought to ask there. Will check them out next time, just in case ;)

Best regards,

Stubby

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Dante99, it's not ready for Duct tape LOL :) And I tried to shop on Lazada once but never again. They won't accept PayPal or UK credit card.

I always order my Lazada stuff COD, pay for it when it arrives.  Can't remember them wanting a credit card or pay pal for that.

Just now, Dante99 said:

I always order my Lazada stuff COD, pay for it when it arrives.  Can't remember them wanting a credit card or pay pal for that.

Didn't see that option. I contacted them about some product a while back and they suggested I pay at Tesco Lotus. I couldn't be arsed to did a one-click order on eBay, even though it took five weeks to arrive. I will have another look around the Lazada site soon, though. I have seen some good stuff on there before, so perhaps it's worth pursuing further ;)

Stubby

17 hours ago, Stubby said:

Dante99, it's not ready for Duct tape LOL :) And I tried to shop on Lazada once but never again. They won't accept PayPal or UK credit card. Shame because they do seem to carry stuff you can't find elsewhere.

Thailand (how did you get that handle?) I'm close to a Big C in Hang Dong. I have noticed the phone shops on the ground floor but for some reason never thought to ask there. Will check them out next time, just in case ;)

Best regards,

Stubby

Lazada accept PayPal.

On 9/24/2017 at 7:43 AM, oldcarguy said:

I just ordered a couple covers for a Nexus 5 and a Nexus 6 off ebay for $1.50 each and free shipping ,

if you have the time to wait for delivery you might look there

Thanks, Ooldcarguy.

I did actually order before from eBay (twice) and the items never turned up. I managed to track the orders all over the world and the last known destination was Bkk (no location given). Never did find out what happened to them. Oddly enough, I ordered a new Kindle Paperwhite from Amazon a couple of years back and it arrived in less than a week - same address.

Thanks anyway ;)

Stubby

14 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

Actually, they accept UK credit cards too. I just looked back to my older orders and I paid for one with a credit card before I ever had a Thai bank account.

Hi Mark,

Last time I tried to shop at Lazada I could see the payment options you mention but could not use any of them.

My UK PayPal account says it's not possible to send goods in Thailand from LAZADA. I then I tried to use my valid UK credit card. Again, the order didn't go through. This time I got a "transaction canceled" error. So then I tried Cash on Delivery and got the following message: "Cash on Delivery is not available for these products." I emailed Lazada and got a Copy & Paste reply detailing their available payment options. At that point, I gave up LOL :) 

Stubby

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

Hi Mark,

Last time I tried to shop at Lazada I could see the payment options you mention but could not use any of them.

My UK PayPal account says it's not possible to send goods in Thailand from LAZADA. I then I tried to use my valid UK credit card. Again, the order didn't go through. This time I got a "transaction canceled" error. So then I tried Cash on Delivery and got the following message: "Cash on Delivery is not available for these products." I emailed Lazada and got a Copy & Paste reply detailing their available payment options. At that point, I gave up LOL :) 

Stubby

That's odd then. I only opened a bank account here in January and I can see an order in my account history from 2016 that was paid with a credit card so that must have been a Nationwide card. Could have been a debit rather than a credit card though, if that makes any difference?

I thought that I'd used my UK PayPal account before as well although I do remember that PayPal UK makes it impossible to choose an address in Thailand when shopping on many sites so maybe I'm wrong. On that subject, I phoned PayPal a couple of times to ask why I couldn't choose Thailand as a delivery destination and they claimed it was because of 'risk factors' associated with certain countries. When I pointed out that I could select Somalia and many other dodgy countries from the drop-down list, they could not give me a valid explanation and promised to email me after investigating the matter. After several calls I gave up. The only reason I could think of for this behaviour was that they were trying to push customers to use eBay. I used to be able to order goods on eBay and choose a Thai delivery address with no problems at all and it was far too much of a coincidence that the only country that was missing from the drop-down box when trying to complete a delivery address on other websites was the one I was actually in.

Edited by Mark1066

8 hours ago, Stubby said:

Hi Mark,

Stubby

It is a wonder that so many people can buy form Lazada with no problem and use payment methods you can not, they probably black balled you.

19 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

That's odd then. I only opened a bank account here in January and I can see an order in my account history from 2016 that was paid with a credit card so that must have been a Nationwide card. Could have been a debit rather than a credit card though, if that makes any difference?

I thought that I'd used my UK PayPal account before as well although I do remember that PayPal UK makes it impossible to choose an address in Thailand when shopping on many sites so maybe I'm wrong. On that subject, I phoned PayPal a couple of times to ask why I couldn't choose Thailand as a delivery destination and they claimed it was because of 'risk factors' associated with certain countries. When I pointed out that I could select Somalia and many other dodgy countries from the drop-down list, they could not give me a valid explanation and promised to email me after investigating the matter. After several calls I gave up. The only reason I could think of for this behaviour was that they were trying to push customers to use eBay. I used to be able to order goods on eBay and choose a Thai delivery address with no problems at all and it was far too much of a coincidence that the only country that was missing from the drop-down box when trying to complete a delivery address on other websites was the one I was actually in.

I do most of my financial transactions online Mark. Bringing money over to Thailand from my UK bank account mostly. I also use my credit card to buy eBooks on Amazon and have used PayPal to purchase things on eBay. You never know whether a financial transaction will work online or not until you try it. PP is great when there are no problems. However, PP can be a nightmare if you need support.  Had my account deactivated once (with money in it) and no one would tell me why. It took photocopies of personal ID, utility bills, and three+ weeks of email questions and answers before it was finally reactivated. I still have no real idea what happened or why. The only hint PP gave was that there was some unusual activity coming from Thailand. I've never lost money online but I'm always relieved once a transaction has completed ;)

Stubby

15 hours ago, Dante99 said:

It is a wonder that so many people can buy form Lazada with no problem and use payment methods you can not, they probably black balled you.

Who knows! Maybe it's an ISP issue as these things are automated responses not human.

On 26/09/2017 at 9:33 AM, Stubby said:

I do most of my financial transactions online Mark. Bringing money over to Thailand from my UK bank account mostly. I also use my credit card to buy eBooks on Amazon and have used PayPal to purchase things on eBay. You never know whether a financial transaction will work online or not until you try it. PP is great when there are no problems. However, PP can be a nightmare if you need support.  Had my account deactivated once (with money in it) and no one would tell me why. It took photocopies of personal ID, utility bills, and three+ weeks of email questions and answers before it was finally reactivated. I still have no real idea what happened or why. The only hint PP gave was that there was some unusual activity coming from Thailand. I've never lost money online but I'm always relieved once a transaction has completed ;)

Stubby

Yes, I've noticed that PayPal and eBay are full of bull when something goes wrong and you question their systems. I'm never all that comfortable leaving a balance in my PayPal account. I've also noticed that some payment gateways block debit/credit card transactions if the IP address doesn't tally with the billing address. So much for a global marketplace - you can order from anywhere in the world but don't you dare stray too far from home if you're planning on paying with your credit card!

eBay are really pathetic as far as admitting they've made a mistake is concerned. Two or three times they prevented me from bidding on things because they claimed they were not able to send them to Thailand. And these were things I'd already bought on eBay before, like vinyl records and safety razors. They even suggested that perhaps there was a limit on the number of vinyl records I could import in a year...(as if eBay's system would keep a count if such a ridiculous supposition were true). Minor problems but I got so angry with them because they didn't have the decency just to own up and admit they'd made a mistake....and some of us think it's just Thai people who can't admit to making mistakes!

Anyway, none of this is helping you get your phone covers - apologies for straying so far off topic. Did you manage to find anything locally?

Edited by Mark1066

3 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

Yes, I've noticed that PayPal and eBay are full of bull when something goes wrong and you question their systems. I'm never all that comfortable leaving a balance in my PayPal account. I've also noticed that some payment gateways block debit/credit card transactions if the IP address doesn't tally with the billing address. So much for a global marketplace - you can order from anywhere in the world but don't you dare stray too far from home if you're planning on paying with your credit card!

set your vpn so your IP synchs with your billing address

On 9/29/2017 at 8:44 AM, Dante99 said:

set your vpn so your IP synchs with your billing address

Now there's an option. Are country IPs random with a VPN or can you really select the country you want the IP to come from? I've read a bit about them in the past but don't have any first-hand experience using such a service. It's an interesting concept, though, especially if it's legal.

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

17 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Don't know about many but mine, a popular one, offers selection of countries.  Never heard of it being illegal but probably depends on what you do with it.

Thanks, Dante99 ;)

I know I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here, but since VPN was mentioned...

Can anyone advise me on a VPN service/tool? I'm assuming it's something you have to buy or subscribe to. A quick search on Google makes the search a bit overwhelming. 

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

It is a service, some possibly available for free others for a fee.  Private Internet Access is one you might look into. Subscription.  There is another forum on Thai Visa that probably has a lot of information, try the IT and Computers forum.

1 minute ago, Dante99 said:

It is a service, some possibly available for free others for a fee.  Private Internet Access is one you might look into. Subscription.  There is another forum on Thai Visa that probably has a lot of information, try the IT and Computers forum.

Thanks, Dante99, that's a good idea. I'm on my way ;)

Stubby

I would be careful if you are planning to start using a VPN with your debit/credit card online. What happens if you have told your bank that you will be using your card in Thailand, then they see a transaction that looks as if you are back in the UK? Even if this in itself is not a problem, you might find your card flagged if you use it to buy something online in the morning (supposedly while you are in the UK) then buy some groceries with it in Chiang Mai an hour or two later.

21 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

I would be careful if you are planning to start using a VPN with your debit/credit card online. What happens if you have told your bank that you will be using your card in Thailand, then they see a transaction that looks as if you are back in the UK? Even if this in itself is not a problem, you might find your card flagged if you use it to buy something online in the morning (supposedly while you are in the UK) then buy some groceries with it in Chiang Mai an hour or two later.

Good points. I've since decided not to use a VPN anyway. I just can't find enough reason to justify a monthly subscription. I've managed this long without one so will continue to keep life simple ;) Thanks for the tip though, Mark. I hadn't thought of that.