British actor Colin Firth gets dual Italian citizenship after Brexit vote

rooster59

British actor Colin Firth gets dual Italian citizenship after Brexit vote

640x640 (10).jpg

Cast member Colin Firth arrives with his wife Livia Giuggioli for the world premiere of "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" in London, Britain September 18, 2017. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

ROME (Reuters) - British actor Colin Firth, who has often played the role of a quintessential Englishman in his many films, has become an Italian citizen, Italy's Interior Ministry said.

"The very famous actor, who won an Oscar for the film 'The King's Speech', is married to a citizen from our country and has often declared his love for our land," the ministry said in a statement.

Firth said he would remain a dual national, adding that his Italian-born wife would also be seeking British nationality.

"We never really thought much about our different passports," the actor said in a statement.

"But now, with some of the uncertainty around, we thought it sensible that we should all get the same," he added, in an apparent reference to last year's British vote to leave the European Union.

Firth has been married to Italian film producer Livia Giuggioli since 1997 and the couple live with their two sons in Britain. Unlike some other EU countries, Italy and Britain both allow dual nationality.

"My wife and I are both extremely proud of our own countries," Firth said.

A number of EU countries, including Germany, France and Ireland, have reported a surge in British citizens seeking a new nationality in the wake of the Brexit vote.

The Italian announcement came just hours after British Prime Minister Theresa May flew to Florence to make a keynote speech to try to revive stalled Brexit negotiations and reassure worried business leaders.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-24

15 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

His wife is Italian and she is seeking British nationality 

So next Headline

"Colin Firth's wife gets British Nationality after Brexit"? 

Err, no. This is the last we'll see of that little byline. I wonder why? (not)

I have just about had my fill of these vile luvvies and their anti Brit nonsense. Firth is a national disgrace, he is paid a fortune to act out personas in film end-of, he is not respected for or paid for his political views so no idea why this is getting media coverage. Cumberbatch is another one of this mob. Caused havoc with his foul-mouthed outbursts and promised to take in refugees into his huge mansion, although he did not in the end because he claimed it would be dangerous for his children(although presumable not dangerous for children in the low income areas where his desired refugees will be housed???!!). I just wish they would think before opening their mouths. 

If somebody can elect Mr Royle to parliament I promise I will revoke all their citizenships immediately -Firth, Allen, Lineker, Geldof, Cumberbatch et al, and send them off to a country which we will chose by popular online polling. Most likely Raqqa, they will receive an exuberant welcome.

9 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Err, no. This is the last we'll see of that little byline. I wonder why? (not)

You obviously just look at headline and pictures and didnt read the story

"Firth said he would remain a dual national, adding that his Italian-born wife would also be seeking British nationality."

7 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

If somebody can elect Mr Royle to parliament I promise I will revoke all their citizenships immediately -Firth, Allen, Lineker, Geldof, Cumberbatch et al, and send them off to a country which we will chose by popular online polling. Most likely Raqqa, they will receive an exuberant welcome.

So you are saying you would kick out anyone who publicly disagrees with you? I think you will be satisfied with the direction that Maybot's totalitarian policies are going.

6 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

I have just about had my fill of these vile luvvies and their anti Brit nonsense. Firth is a national disgrace, he is paid a fortune to act out personas in film end-of, he is not respected for or paid for his political views so no idea why this is getting media coverage. Cumberbatch is another one of this mob. Caused havoc with his foul-mouthed outbursts and promised to take in refugees into his huge mansion, although he did not in the end because he claimed it would be dangerous for his children(although presumable not dangerous for children in the low income areas where his desired refugees will be housed???!!). I just wish they would think before opening their mouths. 

All the celebs you namechecked are great at talking a good one but are full of sh1t and out of touch with reality. Geldof's claim to fame is 'feed the world" but all he did was feed a repressive government's army to make it the best equipped one in it's region. What a pillock! Good intentions are dangerous in the extreme with these luvvies.

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

All the celebs you namechecked are great at talking a good one but are full of sh1t and out of touch with reality. Geldof's claim to fame is 'feed the world" but all he did was feed a repressive government's army to make it the best equipped one in it's region. What a pillock! Good intentions are dangerous in the extreme with these luvvies.

Personally I think Geldof is a bit of Berkshire hunt, but regardless of how effective or otherwise Live Aid was, he elevated the issue and the sheer scale of the Ethiopian famine to many millions of people who, otherwise, may have remained ignorant of it.

What about the opinions of Michael Caine, Roger Daltrey, John Cleese etc - do you think that they should also have been prevented from speaking up for Brexit?

6 minutes ago, Seismic said:

You obviously just look at headline and pictures and didnt read the story

"Firth said he would remain a dual national, adding that his Italian-born wife would also be seeking British nationality."

You obviously didn't understand my post. The msm have created a story out of Colin Firth seeking dual nationality because of brexit. And the article prattles on about the numbers of Brits seeking dual EU nationality. The fact of his Italian wife seeking dual (British) nationality is a byline, and we won't be seeing any headline articles about that. Geddit?

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Personally I think Geldof is a bit of Berkshire hunt, but regardless of how effective or otherwise Live Aid was, he elevated the issue and the sheer scale of the Ethiopian famine to many millions of people who, otherwise, may have remained ignorant of it.

What about the opinions of Michael Caine, Roger Daltrey, John Cleese etc - do you think that they should also have been prevented from speaking up for Brexit?

I did some work for the first Live Aid. Read about what happened to the money.

I think celebs should concentrate on being celebs. They invariably talk out of their backsides on serious issues. Caine's pro-brexit proclamations are a case in point.

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

His wife is Italian and she is seeking British nationality 

So next Headline

"Colin Firth's wife gets British Nationality after Brexit"? 

May one ask if obtaining an Italian passport/nationality is a thing to be proud of?

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

I did some work for the first Live Aid. Read about what happened to the money.

I think celebs should concentrate on being celebs. They invariably talk out of their backsides on serious issues. Caine's pro-brexit proclamations are a case in point.

I think the same of many posters here :)

But you and me reach just a few people, these celebrities reach many more.

Edited by stevenl

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

You obviously didn't understand my post. The msm have created a story out of Colin Firth seeking dual nationality because of brexit. And the article prattles on about the numbers of Brits seeking dual EU nationality. The fact of his Italian wife seeking dual (British) nationality is a byline, and we won't be seeing any headline articles about that. Geddit?

It was a joke.  The FACT is he and his wife think it sensible for BOTH of them to seek dual nationality. Brexit is neither here nor there.

2 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

I feel for you.

You don't like the nanny state, but you are homesick for mummy state.

Life can be such a nightmare.

"My wife and I are both extremely proud of our own countries," Firth said.

2 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

QUOTE from Freddie: >>>>>>Firth is a national disgrace, he is paid a fortune to act out personas in film end-of, he is not respected for or paid for his political views so no idea why this is getting media coverage.<<<<<<<<

QUOTE from OP:>>>>> "My wife and I are both extremely proud of our own countries," Firth said. <<<<<<

Freddie, your reading skills suck big time, or is it your prejudice that causes the problem?

At the end of the day, this 'story' boils down to a wealthy, well known actor and his wife wanting dual nationality.

It's been turned into a brexit related 'story' as the actor apparently wanted to make an anti-brexit point by saying "But now, with some of the uncertainty around, we thought it sensible that we should all get the same" - which is ridiculous as there's zero chance that he would fail any financial requirements proving that he was able to support his wife....

51 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE from OP:>>>>> "My wife and I are both extremely proud of our own countries," Firth said. <<<<<<

Freddie, your reading skills suck big time, or is it your prejudice that causes the problem?

"My wife and I are both extremely proud of our own countries," followed by a "BUT" and insert traitorous garbage claiming he is forced to get foreign passports and denigrating Brits that had the testicular fortitude to vote for Brexit knowing that it could cause short term financial pain but in the long run the Brits would have the chance to save Britain from the ending of it's culture as seen in other Euro cesspools. 

If I have a prejudice it is only to see Britishness preserved for the next generation of Brits rather than this monstrous social experiment taking place in so many formerly peaceful and prosperous nations than are nowadays complete dumps. A novel cause in my opinion, and one that Mr. Firth is at odds with me on.

40 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

"My wife and I are both extremely proud of our own countries," followed by a "BUT" and insert traitorous garbage claiming he is forced to get foreign passports and denigrating Brits that had the testicular fortitude to vote for Brexit knowing that it could cause short term financial pain but in the long run the Brits would have the chance to save Britain from the ending of it's culture as seen in other Euro cesspools. 

If I have a prejudice it is only to see Britishness preserved for the next generation of Brits rather than this monstrous social experiment taking place in so many formerly peaceful and prosperous nations than are nowadays complete dumps. A novel cause in my opinion, and one that Mr. Firth is at odds with me on.

I am intrigued - what is British culture?

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I am intrigued - what is British culture?

Christian sensibilities, a sense of fair-play, an ability to laugh at one's self, tolerance of other's opinions, bad teeth, musically creative, a taste for literature, an appreciation of our history - warts and all, bland food, acceptance of scientific principles, equality for both sexes, ability to moan constantly about the weather.. I'm sure there is more

50 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Freddie,your reading skills are not really improving as your post count rises.

Please inform us where you read QUOTE  >>>"followed by a "BUT" and insert traitorous garbage claiming he is forced to get foreign passports and denigrating Brits that had etc"<<<

Edited by oldhippy
spelling

3 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Christian sensibilities, a sense of fair-play, an ability to laugh at one's self, tolerance of other's opinions, bad teeth, musically creative, a taste for literature, an appreciation of our history - warts and all, bland food, acceptance of scientific principles, equality for both sexes, ability to moan constantly about the weather.. I'm sure there is more

And this is exclusive British? Or perhaps it is European?

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

The nl in your name does not stand for Holland?

Even the Dutch beer is as blend as spruitjes.

:sorry:

Beer bland, yes, spruitjes bland, no. There is a reason in general kids don't like spruitjes. But yes, one needs nootmuskaat to make the spruitjes taste nice. As a kid I did not like them, but do like them now :)

The nl stands for both my name and for Netherlands, so not 'Holland'. But glad to see someone is using his observation skills :)

Edited by stevenl

He is a British national, His wife an Italian national, I assume they have interests in both countries.Given the uncertainties resulting from Brexit IMO a prudent move to protect themselves and their interests by both of them getting dual citizenship in their respective  adopted countries.

I dont understand what is the controversy.

If I could have Thai dual citizenship , and it was advantageous for me to have, I would jump at the chance. Wouldn't  most of as?

6 hours ago, thaihome said:

Again, a poster has displayed the rabid defensiveness about brexit when confronted by a rational reaction to the consequences of the UK's upcoming withdrawal from the EU. 

TH 

Err, isn't the issue here that an actor has chosen to turn a family decision into a piece of political showboating? Why does the public need to know about Colin Firth's family matters?

This is hardly surprising.

If I was retired in Spain I would be seeking Spanish nationality to continue to get all the services in my adopted home. I am sure there are a lot of non-British people in the UK who would like British Nationality.

Some French actor went off and became a Russian.

Unremarkable stuff.