Couple agrees to remove Buddha images from fence at their Chiang Mai house

webfact

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

I do actually agree, I could not be offended by anything like this myself, but I do also respect others enough as to try not to offend them, no matter how trivial or misguided I may feel the offence may be, I just make an effort to prevent upsetting people.

I am not an antithiest I'm an athiest. I treat others as I would like to be treated. I help people when ever I can. I don't go out of my way to upset anyone. But these religious <deleted> believing they have a right to be offended is against what I think.

Humans get off your knees!! Good idea for Thailand!

Edited by owl sees all

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I do actually agree, I could not be offended by anything like this myself, but I do also respect others enough as to try not to offend them, no matter how trivial or misguided I may feel the offence may be, I just make an effort to prevent upsetting people.

QUOTE: >>>>>>>>I just make an effort to prevent upsetting people.<<<<<<<<

Sounds nice, but it realy  is a nonsensical one liner, and typical for buddhist thinking.

Backward people, paternalists, dictators, religious and political zealots, profiteers NEED to be made upset.

It is the only way to achieve progress.

30 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: >>>>>>>>I just make an effort to prevent upsetting people.<<<<<<<<

Sounds nice, but it realy  is a nonsensical one liner, and typical for buddhist thinking.

Backward people, paternalists, dictators, religious and political zealots, profiteers NEED to be made upset.

It is the only way to achieve progress.

Perhaps in a backward thinking mind it would be the only way, however there is little evidence that it works, it is the method that has given rise to Islamic extremism, hardly progress we are seeing from disrespecting Islam, quite the opposite, as a result we are seeing countries move away from the liberalisms they had achieved.  I prefer the soft power approach of leading by example, an enormous amount of progress has been seen by this method, we have seen democracy spread around the world, human rights movements, abolishment of slavery, workers rights, free schooling and healthcare and many more real improvements simply by demonstrating that these things bring with them benefits for the state as a whole.  What are the greatest achievements of causing upset?

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Perhaps in a backward thinking mind it would be the only way, however there is little evidence that it works, it is the method that has given rise to Islamic extremism, hardly progress we are seeing from disrespecting Islam, quite the opposite, as a result we are seeing countries move away from the liberalisms they had achieved.  I prefer the soft power approach of leading by example, an enormous amount of progress has been seen by this method, we have seen democracy spread around the world, human rights movements, abolishment of slavery, workers rights, free schooling and healthcare and many more real improvements simply by demonstrating that these things bring with them benefits for the state as a whole.  What are the greatest achievements of causing upset?

QUOTE: What are the greatest achievements of causing upset?

E U R O P E

From the dark ages through the 19th century to 2017.

I can guarantee  that the war lords, emperors, popes, industrialists, generals were very upset.

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: What are the greatest achievements of causing upset?

E U R O P E

From the dark ages through the 19th century to 2017.

I can guarantee  that the war lords, emperors, popes, industrialists, generals were very upset.

And counter  reaction  by  those  same  is  to  inflict greater  upset. 

The wheel of  humanity   has  very  large  lumps  on  it  ! 

1 minute ago, Dumbastheycome said:

And counter  reaction  by  those  same  is  to  inflict greater  upset. 

The wheel of  humanity   has  very  large  lumps  on  it  ! 

Sure.

But we left the dark ages behind us.

Still have a long way to go though.

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Sure.

But we left the dark ages behind us.

Still have a long way to go though.

Hmmmm.  I am  not anything  has been  actually been left   behind.  Most  of  what we  believe  has  been achieved  is  really  just  the  glossy  streamlined  version  of  a  cave containing shiny  toys and  offered not  much  more  than an increased number of delusion  in  choices.

Be  it  religion or  politics  we   remain  primitives. 

8 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

Replace with Jesus heads then. Show  that we don't discriminate with our disrespect

I  generally  have  a problem   with  the  nominal image  of  a  Middle   Eastern  brunette with   blue  eyes  as  the   representation  of a  Jew  who  was  actually  crucified  for threatening  the  lucrative   money  lending  businesses being  operated in the  temples which  in turn  put at risk the   tax  percentage  being   forwarded  to  Caesar.

The  IRS  has  been   about  for  a  very  time  !  lol

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

What I find sad is that so many come here and then generalise on all Thais based on their limited discovery, bigotry is the word, no one is saying it is sad that Americans don't know how to love Jesus because there are some churches in America claiming that all you donate will be returned to you ten fold, it would be ridiculous to generalise on all American Christians based on the actions of some, wouldn't it?  So why do you think Thais are fair game?

I must admit i am wrong Mr Kieran00001 what's all these zero for? How do I go about saying something is wrong with a country without being called a bigot? 

Jesus loves you Kieran00001. Never forget that. Jesus looks for lost souls in Thailand (mostly farangs) to bring back to his kingdom. He is all forgiving.

1 minute ago, madusa said:

I must admit i am wrong Mr Kieran00001 what's all these zero for? How do I go about saying something is wrong with a country without being called a bigot? 

Jesus loves you Kieran00001. Never forget that. Jesus looks for lost souls in Thailand (mostly farangs) to bring back to his kingdom. He is all forgiving.

Yes,  yes,  the  Evangelists  seek  wallets   here , there  and  everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Yes,  yes,  the  Evangelists  seek  wallets   here , there  and  everywhere.

Please, please i feel bad already having said bad things about Thais . I have always wanted to be someone who is pleasant and what I wish to say should be carefully weigh and measure before I say it. My speech and manner should be impeccable so to speak. My god, how did I get misled by all these nonsense written by so many here is now making me feeling disturbed. I must go to a quiet place and contemplate.

2 minutes ago, the guest said:

religion is a pain ... lets bring back the square wheel ey?

Religious  belief  is  not  the  pain. The  pain  is   due  to the  infliction  of  dogma  dictated  by   the  business  interest  of various/all organised  religion.

The  square  wheel   might at least  give  people   cause to  consider  the   genuine  reason  or  the   next   thump !

Many westerners that come to Thailand have three problems:

Their hearts and souls are still firmly based in their own countries and do not adapt well in Thailand and believe they can push the boundaries regarding the laws and general lifestyle in this laid back country because they are in Thailand, thinking no one will care so they can do what they please.

21 hours ago, LolaS said:

it is nbot on public desplay

What is the difference? Why do you think Thais place their Buddhas far above the head in a room? It's also not on public display. It's a question of respect. It's not the American collector but his wife who should have opposed the placing of the Buddhas.

10 hours ago, madusa said:

The zeros do not serve much purpose, I tried just my name, then my name and a 1, then my name a zero and a 1, they were taken already, I added zeros until there was a name available, anyway I think it rather a fetching name, don't you?  Whats the 'mad' for?  Is it as in lunatic?

And the way to criticize without being bigoted is to not generalize, to use terms like, some, many or most, but never just 'the Thai people' when referring to things that not everyone does.

On ‎27‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 2:29 AM, Crash999 said:

What an idiot. Putting Buddha heads on spikes on a wall. Would be tasteless even outside of a Buddhist country let alone here. 

First of all, I can't see any spike, second, it's not a fence but a garden wall and third, the heads were placed on a small podium.

Nevertheless, it's a question of taste and when the old man collected Buddha heads he should may be have also had a deeper interest in Buddhism.

But on the other side, some collect Buddhas, some stamps.

The problem with religious statutes or pictures is always, are they stolen?

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Many westerners that come to Thailand have three problems:

Their hearts and souls are still firmly based in their own countries and do not adapt well in Thailand and believe they can push the boundaries regarding the laws and general lifestyle in this laid back country because they are in Thailand, thinking no one will care so they can do what they please.

Why do you think they are called expats? And "laid back country"? Been in Bangkok in the last ten years?

Edited by bermannor
addition

15 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Which migrant construction workers are not Buddhists?  Don't they all come from either Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar, I don't think there are any others who are allowed.  Perhaps some are Muslim but the vast majority will also be Buddhist, so what exactly is nonsense other that the assumption that is any one person of a religion should be offended then every single person of that religion should be.

In the north, there are many Karens and hill-tribe peoples who are not Buddhist -- many are evangelical Christians. But I think this is all beside the point; any laborer, regardless of faith, who's living hand to mouth is likely to take most any job that pays money.

13 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

The sentence is properly punctuated, the syntax is clear, try again.

It's a run-on sentence; it should be two or three sentences, and/or a few of the commas should be semicolons. (Sorry ... I work as an editor <stupid smiley face>.)

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Everyone is equal. Science is enough to kick all religions into the dust bin. The reason they continue is through indoctrination of children and regeims and groups holding on to power to dictate to the masses.

I don't care if the guy put the concrete heads on the wall and painted them. I don't care if they looked nice or not. What I care about is the religious <deleted> getting oh so easily offended. Sounds like the Salman Rushdie affair or ultra US Christians insisting that the earth is less than 10k years old. 

It's all nonsense.

You keep blaming this on religion but thats not really the issue here. The image of Buddha is a cultural icon that just happens to be based on a religious figure. But people who are not religious generally will still respect something other than themselves and hold it in high regard. Nowadays that can be an Apple logo, a sports figure, or a parent. If a community reveres a person who made significant contributions to that community (we will always need leaders and people to look up to its human nature) they usually will erect a statue of that person. If an outsider comes into the community and happens to like the look of the person's head and starts to collect sculptures and paintings of his head and eventually places several of them on a wall and tells everyone it's for decoration only, I think he would experience something similar if not worse (if in America).

I mean just look at whats going on in America with the NFL and the flag. That's not even a person, its an object but its still a symbol of a community that is revered. 

Just now, thenoilif said:

You keep blaming this on religion but thats not really the issue here. The image of Buddha is a cultural icon that just happens to be based on a religious figure. But people who are not religious generally will still respect something other than themselves and hold it in high regard. Nowadays that can be an Apple logo, a sports figure, or a parent. If a community reveres a person who made significant contributions to that community (we will always need leaders and people to look up to its human nature) they usually will erect a statue of that person. If an outsider comes into the community and happens to like the look of the person's head and starts to collect sculptures and paintings of his head and eventually places several of them on a wall and tells everyone it's for decoration only, I think he would experience something similar if not worse (if in America).

I mean just look at whats going on in America with the NFL and the flag. That's not even a person, its an object but its still a symbol of a community that is revered. 

I don't mind if he put the concrete heads on the wall and painted them different colours. If they looked like they were just decoration; then that's OK with me. What I don't like is the religious nutters that are oh so easily offended. I feel the same about Muslims, Catholics, the ultra US Christians and the Jews.

If someone says something bad about my favourite cat I don't get offended or threaten violence.

Thais have been told what they must think for a very long time. Getting off their knees would be a good starting point for the country to escape from the third world.

1 hour ago, Cory1848 said:

It's a run-on sentence; it should be two or three sentences, and/or a few of the commas should be semicolons. (Sorry ... I work as an editor <stupid smiley face>.)

Should?  Try telling that to Shakespeare, Dickens or Hemingway.  The sentence reads fine, nothing is ambiguous, that is the mark of proper punctuation. 

34 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I don't mind if he put the concrete heads on the wall and painted them different colours. If they looked like they were just decoration; then that's OK with me. What I don't like is the religious nutters that are oh so easily offended. I feel the same about Muslims, Catholics, the ultra US Christians and the Jews.

If someone says something bad about my favourite cat I don't get offended or threaten violence.

Thais have been told what they must think for a very long time. Getting off their knees would be a good starting point for the country to escape from the third world.

Easy to say, but not getting on your knees is currently a prison sentence.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

If you look closely at practically every culture, there is a dominant ideology telling everyone what to do and think. You're not any more enlightened (in the grand scheme of things) than Thais. 

I also find it hard to be believe that you've never been offended due to a disagreement someone else had towards something you believe in. In just this thread your beliefs have been challenged and you're not coming off as being totally fine with it.

Just now, thenoilif said:

If you look closely at practically every culture, there is a dominant ideology telling everyone what to do and think. You're not any more enlightened (in the grand scheme of things) than Thais. 

I also find it hard to be believe that you've never been offended due to a disagreement someone else had towards something you believe in. In just this thread your beliefs have been challenged and you're not coming off as being totally fine with it.

Anyone can say what they want to me and about me if they wish. I'm not offended in the slightest.

I am a Darwinian. Proud to be so.

Show me evidence and I'll make up my mind. I don't have faith in, or believe in, religion any more than I believe in ghosts on the moon or flying unicorms.

Just leave my cat out of it!!

Edited by owl sees all