Couple agrees to remove Buddha images from fence at their Chiang Mai house

webfact

4 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Should?  Try telling that to Shakespeare, Dickens or Hemingway.  The sentence reads fine, nothing is ambiguous, that is the mark of proper punctuation. 

<sigh> Whatever. If you say "that is the mark of proper punctuation," I'm not going to quarrel with you; what's the point? P.S. Shakespeare you're not.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is always some religious fanatic trying to impose his/her will on others

The upset Resident would have to be tied by a chain and unable to move away from the house to have any real case to force these people to remove the images.

My answer if you think they are disrespectful then don't go and look at them

23 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Which migrant construction workers are not Buddhists?  Don't they all come from either Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar, I don't think there are any others who are allowed.  Perhaps some are Muslim but the vast majority will also be Buddhist, so what exactly is nonsense other that the assumption that is any one person of a religion should be offended then every single person of that religion should be.

no, the one in chiang mai are christ or their local religions

Just now, LolaS said:

The offended Thais probably recommended someone they knew to take them down; family!!

I don't like it one bit - it's offending me big time - but slip 1000 Baht my way and it will soon be forgotten!

It's just a money-go-round.

2 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

<sigh> Whatever. If you say "that is the mark of proper punctuation," I'm not going to quarrel with you; what's the point? P.S. Shakespeare you're not.

I would not claim to be, and I doubt you would either, my point was that my punctuation was rather more complete that any of the authors I mentioned yet you don't seem to hear people calling them out.  As for what would be the point in quarrelling, did you not jump in thinking you had one?  The mind boggles!

42 minutes ago, JGV said:

There is always some religious fanatic trying to impose his/her will on others

The upset Resident would have to be tied by a chain and unable to move away from the house to have any real case to force these people to remove the images.

My answer if you think they are disrespectful then don't go and look at them

I don't think that is how this type of offence works, it is not offence at the sight of them but offence at knowing how the icon is being treated, so just averting their gaze would not actually work at all.  Do you think a Christian could be offended by someone burning the bible even if they were not looking?

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I would not claim to be, and I doubt you would either, my point was that my punctuation was rather more complete that any of the authors I mentioned yet you don't seem to hear people calling them out.  As for what would be the point in quarrelling, did you not jump in thinking you had one?  The mind boggles!

Oh for heaven's sake. My initial comment was entirely in jest and in good spirit, as per my <stupid smiley face> insertion. It's only your continuing insistence on comparing your writing favorably with that of Hemingway and Dickens that begs ridicule. (BTW, your original post was indeed a run-on sentence: trust me, I'm a professional book editor.) Bye now!

9 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Really?  I thought as most of them come from Shan, and that as Shan is about 80% Buddhist, that most of them would be Buddhists.

There are nearly half a million Karens in Thailand, most in the north. There are smaller numbers of several other non-Buddhist hill-tribes.

59 minutes ago, LolaS said:

What a strange argument you are pursuing. Construction in Thailand is done by Thais. They may have foreign workers, but the boss is Thai and he gives the orders. On top of that, quite a few hill tribe people from Thailand and Burma are Buddhist.  

14 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

Oh for heaven's sake. My initial comment was entirely in jest and in good spirit, as per my <stupid smiley face> insertion. It's only your continuing insistence on comparing your writing favorably with that of Hemingway and Dickens that begs ridicule. (BTW, your original post was indeed a run-on sentence: trust me, I'm a professional book editor.) Bye now!

Bye now, are you sure?  You only managed to stay away for a matter of seconds!  

The point I made was clear, they are authors well known for their "runaway" sentences, I would have thought an editor would be better at getting the gist, how on earth do you manage?

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

What a strange argument you are pursuing. Construction in Thailand is done by Thais. They may have foreign workers, but the boss is Thai and he gives the orders. On top of that, quite a few hill tribe people from Thailand and Burma are Buddhist.  

No, construction is done by immigrants, projects, planing and architecture by thais.

They are not BUDDHIST, for sure. they are pagan(anima) nature...

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Really?  I thought as most of them come from Shan, and that as Shan is about 80% Buddhist, that most of them would be Buddhists.

Shan are contruction workers? they are too weak by body

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I don't mind if he put the concrete heads on the wall and painted them different colours. If they looked like they were just decoration; then that's OK with me. What I don't like is the religious nutters that are oh so easily offended. I feel the same about Muslims, Catholics, the ultra US Christians and the Jews.

If someone says something bad about my favourite cat I don't get offended or threaten violence.

Thais have been told what they must think for a very long time. Getting off their knees would be a good starting point for the country to escape from the third world.

I  agree  with  your  sentiment.  But  not  at all  exclusively  for  Thai.

Social/  cultural   naiveity  is  embedded  in  the  National  Pride  of   many locations in as  many  formats as possible or required in the  manipulation of  populist loyalty.

Humans  are  dubiously   sophisticated  apes who  collectively fail  to  use  the capacity they have  inherited and  instead  prefer  to   abjectively  concede  to the pack leaders in  ridiculous  belief they  have made or  have any more  valid valid choice.

Our aim should not be to take away power from those in power, and give it to "better" leaders.

Our aim should be to end the existence of power, and replace it by authority based on merrit, and with lots of checks & balances.

A few thousands of years should be enough to accomplish this.

2 hours ago, LolaS said:

They are not BUDDHIST, for sure. they are pagan(anima) nature...

Shan are contruction workers? they are too weak by body

Who are not Buddhist?  A small minority or tribals in Thailand and Myanmar are animist, the vast majority are Buddhist, but then those are not the ones the guides are selling you tours to go to gawp at, perhaps that is what you are confusing.

I said from Shan, it is a place you know, not everyone in Shan is a Shan tribespeson, they are only one of 13 ethnicities in the state, and only 6% of them are animist, 81% are Buddhist.

Perhaps best not to comment on an ethnicities body strength, it only makes you sound weak in the mind.

45 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Our aim should not be to take away power from those in power, and give it to "better" leaders.

Our aim should be to end the existence of power, and replace it by authority based on merrit, and with lots of checks & balances.

A few thousands of years should be enough to accomplish this.

Our aim could be a little more forward thinking than that, try Icelands method they used to write their constitution for a taste of future democracy.

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Who are not Buddhist?  A small minority or tribals in Thailand and Myanmar are animist, the vast majority are Buddhist, but then those are not the ones the guides are selling you tours to go to gawp at, perhaps that is what you are confusing.

I said from Shan, it is a place you know, not everyone in Shan is a Shan tribespeson, they are only one of 13 ethnicities in the state, and only 6% of them are animist, 81% are Buddhist.

Perhaps best not to comment on an ethnicities body strength, it only makes you sound weak in the mind.

i am talking based on facts, not a feelings,

there are no shans as you present in contructuion so much, 

3 minutes ago, LolaS said:

i am talking based on facts, not a feelings,

there are no shans as you present in contructuion so much, 

Yes, there really are many people from Shan working in construction in Thailand. It is estimated that over 1000 people enter Thailand from Shan every month,  their biggest employment is found in agriculture but many of them also find construction work. 14% of construction workers in Thailand are migrants, 75% of which are from Myanmar, the state providing the most being Shan, that is a fact.  Shan are the single largest group of migrants in Thailand working in the road building and construction industry.  I have no idea where you think you are getting your "facts" but I get mine from the Institue for Population and Social Research at Mahidol University.

39 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

They wrote their whole constitution by public forum, we could be ready to do away with parliament altogether and replace it with the public, a real democracy.

But as they did not eliminate "power", they ended up with crooked bankers that gambled away people's savings (Kaupthing), and crooked politicians that parked their money in tax heavens (Panama Papers).

Also, Iceland is not really a country, based on the number of inhabitants it is more like a rather small town, and therefore not a possible role model for other countries.

Beautifull place though, in my younger days I spent 6 months there.

12 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I  agree  with  your  sentiment.  But  not  at all  exclusively  for  Thai.

Social/  cultural   naiveity  is  embedded  in  the  National  Pride  of   many locations in as  many  formats as possible or required in the  manipulation of  populist loyalty.

Humans  are  dubiously   sophisticated  apes who  collectively fail  to  use  the capacity they have  inherited and  instead  prefer  to   abjectively  concede  to the pack leaders in  ridiculous  belief they  have made or  have any more  valid valid choice.

Nice job proving your own point while trying to be pretentious. Another common trait of men. 

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

But as they did not eliminate "power", they ended up with crooked bankers that gambled away people's savings (Kaupthing), and crooked politicians that parked their money in tax heavens (Panama Papers).

Also, Iceland is not really a country, based on the number of inhabitants it is more like a rather small town, and therefore not a possible role model for other countries.

Beautifull place though, in my younger days I spent 6 months there.

My comment wasn't meant as an example of success, just of how a public forum can function as do politicians, and that I think that the concept could be taken, expanded on and used instead of a parliament.  I think we need a radical change now, we have stagnated for a while now, people have become disillusioned with democracy as it does not necessarily represent them, we need a way to provide representation for everyone, a forum based system could be the answer.

On 9/29/2017 at 2:17 AM, cyberfarang said:

Many westerners that come to Thailand have three problems:

Their hearts and souls are still firmly based in their own countries and do not adapt well in Thailand and believe they can push the boundaries regarding the laws and general lifestyle in this laid back country because they are in Thailand, thinking no one will care so they can do what they please.

I know many Thai who live in Europe and they do exactly the same. there is nothing wrong with that. Why do you think that it is a problem? 

21 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

There are nearly half a million Karens in Thailand, most in the north. There are smaller numbers of several other non-Buddhist hill-tribes.

The people of the tribal villages I visited in the mountains northwest of Chiang Dao were Animists. Complete with their village Shaman.  I saw a small Christian church in one village... but it looked abandoned, and I was told it was no longer in use. 

Archived