Couple agrees to remove Buddha images from fence at their Chiang Mai house

webfact

2 hours ago, bermannor said:

May be 40 years ago, I bought in Kathmandu a small ping pong sized bronze Buddha head, probably broken off a statute. It had a nice place in my home. Ten years ago, I felt, it belongs in a temple, pagoda, wat, name it, so I sent it to friends, by the way devoted Thai Buddhists, and asked them, to donate it to a wat, what they did.

They have by no means been offended. Could it be that ultra Buddhists have created that storm?

And, by the way, the Buddha heads have not been sitting on spikes on the wall, so the question is, who is the idiot.

There might be another storm of orthodox Thai Buddhists seeing the picture with dozens of Buddha heads standing on the ground. In my opinion the Thai wife should have complained to her husband. Wonder that police did not complain.

There's a difference between using Buddha for a decoration and donating it to a temple. 

As for the heads on the wall didn't you read the article? The photo is right there. 

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, madusa said:

Christ came from Bethlehem of course he was born there remember? 3 wise men came to visit him, said to him, "There you are my pretty little boy, you going to give those established Judaism priests lots and lots of problems, those funky little rabbis so full of themselves and they will bribe the Romans to nail you to the tree because you keep saying you are the son of the true God when they have their true God residing in their synagogue."

While I respect your right to believe what you will, I was responding to a post chrissables made which said, “But Buddha come (sic) from India.” 

He said that in response to 4MyEgo’s response which stated, “Their country, their Buddha, you would expect Thai's (sic) to respect your country, your religion, your ways if they were in your country.

I noted that many Westerners, including you perhaps, may complain if they thought Jesus Christ were being disrespected and Jesus did not come from a Western country. Sorry if that went over your head.

21 hours ago, Catoni said:

Such people are not real Buddhists....... not following Buddha's teaching.   You obviously have a problem understanding that. 

what is a real buddhist? you mean like the italian mobs in the U.S. years ago who will kill on monday thru friday and go to church on sunday and be forgiven? Thailand is a buddhist country and 99% claim to be buddhist, yet just look at the way most of them live. after being here 44 years I do NOT have a problem understanding anything about Thai's

13 hours ago, owl sees all said:

So a person living in a different country is going to find it difficult!

I have no views on buddhism; except what I see. I'm an athiest. Yes,,, I do find it a challenge but I've got more love and respect for things in Thailand than most of the Thais I know. I find them very shallow indeed. Will change direction at a moment's notice. And principles!!! One of the posters on TVForum has this quote; "Those are my principles and if you don't like them,, well I have others." Thais all over.

As an atheist (still a religious ideology), what is it about Buddhism that bothers you? It's not a 'god' worshipping religion. Its spiritual yes, but it, for the most part, doesn't adhere to the dogma that other religions do.

At its core, it teaches what I would consider being 'practices that  teach someone how to live a happy (enlightened) life and to live in peace and harmony with your environment and your fellow man. You say that western progress has created this enlightenment in the West which is true to some extent but it's also created this conflict between men and nature. 

This idea that religion(s) itself is the problem is seemingly this new cool thing to debate but in reality, most religions aren't the cause of our problems because anything that brings people together will be manipulated by smarter people so they can control the less intelligent.

9 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

As an atheist (still a religious ideology), what is it about Buddhism that bothers you? It's not a 'god' worshipping religion. Its spiritual yes, but it, for the most part, doesn't adhere to the dogma that other religions do.

At its core, it teaches what I would consider being 'practices that  teach someone how to live a happy (enlightened) life and to live in peace and harmony with your environment and your fellow man. You say that western progress has created this enlightenment in the West which is true to some extent but it's also created this conflict between men and nature. 

This idea that religion(s) itself is the problem is seemingly this new cool thing to debate but in reality, most religions aren't the cause of our problems because anything that brings people together will be manipulated by smarter people so they can control the less intelligent.

Yes, wolves keeping sheep in line. 

These items are not ornaments, they are representative of Buddhism in this Buddhist country. Total ignorance and disrespect of Thai culture.  

Noticed her elderly Farlang husband has kept out of the picture. District officials visited the house, so why did they not investigate whether or not the property was purchased legitimately other than just in the Thai wife`s name? If not, confiscate the property, kick them out, let them go back to America where they can display as many Buddhist images as they please and no one will give it a second thought.

5 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

These items are not ornaments, they are representative of Buddhism in this Buddhist country. Total ignorance and disrespect of Thai culture.  

Noticed her elderly Farlang husband has kept out of the picture. District officials visited the house, so why did they not investigate whether or not the property was purchased legitimately other than just in the Thai wife`s name? If not, confiscate the property, kick them out, let them go back to America where they can display as many Buddhist images as they please and no one will give it a second thought.

if they would live in buddhist community ower there...they can be kicked out.

if they did this with christ in USA???? OMG...keked out

6 hours ago, captspectre said:

what is a real buddhist? you mean like the italian mobs in the U.S. years ago who will kill on monday thru friday and go to church on sunday and be forgiven? Thailand is a buddhist country and 99% claim to be buddhist, yet just look at the way most of them live. after being here 44 years I do NOT have a problem understanding anything about Thai's

I find it interesting that you have been in Thailand for so many years, and yet you still know so little of the Dhamma teachings, and so little of what constitutes serious effort to live according to the Dhamma.  

People can "claim" to be anything they wish....  but remember the old saying... "Actions speak louder than words."        You can claim to be Catholic....  yet show no sign of being Catholic in you heart and mind.

You can likewise claim to be Buddhist....  yet show no sign of being Buddhist in your heart and mind.    Simply going throught the motions in the Christian church or the Buddhist temple means little or nothing. 

Do not attempt to impress me with your words and claims....  instead.. prove to me by the way you live and treat others. 

So you have spent 44 years in Thailand.... a Buddhist nation... (mixed with some Hinduism and Animism)       Good for you. Congratulations. 

I know people who have never stepped foot into south east Asia at all.... yet they know and understand more about the Dhamma than you... are wiser than you. 

Please re-read my other post, and then try to think about what I said in that post...     

You seem to imply that a person can truly be a practicing believing Buddhist, and still promote rape, pillage and murder of men, women and children...

Perhaps you might surprise me... but I truly doubt that you yourself are a practicing Buddhist. You certainly do not sound like one.

What is the very first Precept ? 

3 minutes ago, Catoni said:

I find it interesting that you have been in Thailand for so many years, and yet you still know so little of the Dhamma teachings, and so little of what constitutes serious effort to live according to the Dhamma.  

Please re-read my other post, and then try to think about what I said in that post...     

You seem to imply that a person can truly be a practicing believing Buddhist, and still promote rape, pillage and murder of men, women and children...

Perhaps you might surprise me... but I truly doubt that you yourself are a practicing Buddhist. You certainly do not sound like one.

What is the very first Precept ? 

I am not a practicing buddhist, never was, ever heard of hypocrites? got them all over the world,  they say one thing and do another, say do as I say. not as i do. 

When the gentleman purchased the concrete heads did he cement them onto the wall himself or did he pay a local? My guess is that he paid someone. Did the Thai given the job think that someone is not going to like this; so I'll give this work a miss'? Of course not. The baht dilutes most principles here.

Just now, captspectre said:

I am not a practicing buddhist, never was, ever heard of hypocrites? got them all over the world,  they say one thing and do another, say do as I say. not as i do. 

Hypocrites!! What you did was very, very bad, but give me money and it will be OK. 

18 minutes ago, captspectre said:

Namo Buddhaya  

Well of course I've heard of hypocrites... like Leonardo CiCaprio who preaches Global Warming Alarmism...  and how we should all cut back on driving and flying...  burning fossil fuels,.... while he has multiple homes, collection of fossil fuel burning vehicles, and goes cruising on CO2 burning yachts, and flys all over the world every year. 

But perhaps you missed this in my post:    

People can "claim" to be anything they wish....  but remember the old saying... "Actions speak louder than words."        You can claim to be Catholic....  yet show no sign of being Catholic in you heart and mind.

You can likewise claim to be Buddhist....  yet show no sign of being Buddhist in your heart and mind.    Simply going throught the motions in the Christian church or the Buddhist temple means little or nothing. 

Do not attempt to impress me with your words and claims....  instead.. prove to me by the way you live and treat others. 

So you have spent 44 years in Thailand.... a Buddhist nation... (mixed with some Hinduism and Animism)       Good for you. Congratulations. 

I know people who have never stepped foot into south east Asia at all.... yet they know and understand more about the Dhamma than you... are wiser than you. 

Sukhi Deegayuko Bhava

19 minutes ago, captspectre said:

non sence, most of ppl in construction, are migrants, and not thais.

7 minutes ago, LolaS said:

7 minutes ago, LolaS said:

what the hell are you talking about? what does construction have to do with  thai buddhism?  are you sure you are responding to the same topic?

Just now, captspectre said:

what the hell are you talking about? what does construction have to do with  thai buddhism?  are you sure you are responding to the same topic?

person claimed why contruction workers didnt object against putting those heads on walls

I was refering to that

8 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

How about all the little Buddha statues glued to the dashboard of taxis? Is there some sort of rule book for this or is it some subjective argument going on within the Buddhist membership?

Generally they are people other than Buddha that you see glued to dashboards, sometimes they are Buddha, but in my experience more often than not they are monks and other figures from Buddhas time and from the stories he told.

34 minutes ago, LolaS said:

person claimed why contruction workers didnt object against putting those heads on walls

I was refering to that

Which migrant construction workers are not Buddhists?  Don't they all come from either Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar, I don't think there are any others who are allowed.  Perhaps some are Muslim but the vast majority will also be Buddhist, so what exactly is nonsense other that the assumption that is any one person of a religion should be offended then every single person of that religion should be.

I don't think the issue had anything to do with the sculptures being bodyless.  Lots of Buddha heads available in this country. Also making a bust of a famous persons head is a tradition older than Buddhism. It is never considered decapitated. It is simply a likeness of the persons head. I imagine some of you might go to a museum and be horrified at all the decapitated historical figures they have there. It's a bloodbath :cheesy:

9 hours ago, Crash999 said:

What do you think would happen if someone moved to the Southern US and put heads of Jesus on spikes on their wall? 

It is just done in bad taste that's all really, nothing really worth arguing in real sense of the word.  If only he had put the head of Trump on the wall nobody would object just my conjecture.

20 minutes ago, Catoni said:

That would be most Thais then.

I think it is important to know;

01 If the gold paint had any gold in it

02 Were the concrete heads painted before they were put on the wall or after.

7 hours ago, elektrified said:

Another falang with too much money on his hands. Buying thousands of Buddha heads.... Get real!

Those are cheap stuffs probably rejected ones from some backyard factories. Take the whole lot, 50 Baht each. So he took them all home and got into trouble. Those buddha's heads look ugly I am sure Buddha didn't look like that at all, I would think Buddha probably looked like George Clooney, yes, honestly, even his height would be about the same as George, tall elegant looking. 

How sad Thais don't know how to love Buddha. They just want Buddha to work for them, protect them, give them money, make sure they don't get into accident. Incroyable.

1 hour ago, LolaS said:

Yeah you right, too much wonking make the legs weak so if they work in construction they will fall down from the scaffolding, dead. Too many wonkers walking around in Thailand.

17 minutes ago, madusa said:

Those are cheap stuffs probably rejected ones from some backyard factories. Take the whole lot, 50 Baht each. So he took them all home and got into trouble. Those buddha's heads look ugly I am sure Buddha didn't look like that at all, I would think Buddha probably looked like George Clooney, yes, honestly, even his height would be about the same as George, tall elegant looking. 

How sad Thais don't know how to love Buddha. They just want Buddha to work for them, protect them, give them money, make sure they don't get into accident. Incroyable.

What I find sad is that so many come here and then generalise on all Thais based on their limited discovery, bigotry is the word, no one is saying it is sad that Americans don't know how to love Jesus because there are some churches in America claiming that all you donate will be returned to you ten fold, it would be ridiculous to generalise on all American Christians based on the actions of some, wouldn't it?  So why do you think Thais are fair game?

Archived