Couple agrees to remove Buddha images from fence at their Chiang Mai house

webfact

17 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yes, there really are many people from Shan working in construction in Thailand. It is estimated that over 1000 people enter Thailand from Shan every month,  their biggest employment is found in agriculture but many of them also find construction work. 14% of construction workers in Thailand are migrants, 75% of which are from Myanmar, the state providing the most being Shan, that is a fact.  Shan are the single largest group of migrants in Thailand working in the road building and construction industry.  I have no idea where you think you are getting your "facts" but I get mine from the Institue for Population and Social Research at Mahidol University.

not correct for chiang mai and hangdong...

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/27/2017 at 11:09 AM, Catoni said:

Such people are not real Buddhists....... not following Buddha's teaching.   You obviously have a problem understanding that. 

The Holy Grail. The true Christian (who beats his wife and buggers boys behind the apse). The true Buddhist (who shoots men, rapes women and uses children as mine detectors). Get it? The Concepts never measure up to the Reality. BTW the Buddha never asked anyone to "follow" but to think for themselves. It's the ignorant followers who mess it up. 

1 hour ago, jgarbo said:

The Holy Grail. The true Christian (who beats his wife and buggers boys behind the apse). The true Buddhist (who shoots men, rapes women and uses children as mine detectors). Get it? The Concepts never measure up to the Reality. BTW the Buddha never asked anyone to "follow" but to think for themselves. It's the ignorant followers who mess it up. 

Correct, some guidelines to think for yourself, but  unfortunately the sheep need a wolf to guide them. 

2 hours ago, LolaS said:

It is, there are construction projects with hundreds of Shan people working on the them in China Mai.  A quick Google search would confirm this for you, there are loads of articles about Shan construction workers in Chiang Mai.

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

I live in Chiang Mai...  Most of the workers building my house (and the previous 2 houses) are from the Shan state. 

yes Christian one. bcs it is the big concentration of Christians in North. you are changing the story from there is NO immigrants in construction to all my workers are immigrants, 

which they are and not same type of Buddhism and culture as Thai, it is assumption that Thailand and burma are same in ideology and religion

3 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

It is, there are construction projects with hundreds of Shan people working on the them in China Mai.  A quick Google search would confirm this for you, there are loads of articles about Shan construction workers in Chiang Mai.

yes, why you think I dont agree with you.... I know that all those projects immigrants did it.

we all live in same thailand, when low jobs are done by them.

13 hours ago, LolaS said:

yes Christian one. bcs it is the big concentration of Christians in North. you are changing the story from there is NO immigrants in construction to all my workers are immigrants, 

which they are and not same type of Buddhism and culture as Thai, it is assumption that Thailand and burma are same in ideology and religion

It is you who is changing it from they are not Buddhists to they are not the same type of Buddhist, which they are not, but the majority from Shan are Buddhist, just with a different amalgamation of ancient animist culture to Thai Buddhism.

13 hours ago, LolaS said:

No.  They are Buddhist.  I asked them.  They have all the Buddhist stuff hanging in their car.  I never said there are no immigrants in construction... you are confusing me with another poster.  

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

It is you who is changing it from they are not Buddhists to they are not the same type of Buddhist, which they are not, but the majority from Shan are Buddhist, just with a different amalgamation of ancient animist culture to Thai Buddhism.

i think you are mixing chan and shan, it is not same nation

37 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

No.  They are Buddhist.  I asked them.  They have all the Buddhist stuff hanging in their car.  I never said there are no immigrants in construction... you are confusing me with another poster.  

strange, do they go to thai temples?

59 minutes ago, LolaS said:

i think you are mixing chan and shan, it is not same nation

I don't know what chan is, i was talking about the state of Myanmar called Shan, formally a nation and the state of Myanmar that produces the largest amount of immigrant construction workers to Thailand, over 80% of which are Buddhist.

41 minutes ago, LolaS said:

so why you call them thai?

"Tai" (without the "h") refers to a broad linguistic grouping that includes Thai, Lao, Shan, and many smaller groups. "Tai Yai" is the Thai word for Shan. Most Shans are Buddhist. There is a Tai Yai temple near where I live outside Chiang Mai and they have temple fairs occasionally; when I've gone, it's like going to a foreign country, and the Thai person I go with doesn't understand the language, although it's related to Thai. I don't know how many Shans are involved in construction and will defer to others on that, but I do know that many Shans work in agriculture in northern Thailand, some here legally, some not. It's been my impression that they are somewhat looked down upon and mistrusted by the Thais, perhaps like Mexicans are by racists in the United States.

3 hours ago, LolaS said:

strange, do they go to thai temples?

yep. Have big Thai Yai / Shan festivals at the local temples..... where the boys dress up and ride the dancing ponies... and the parade goes down the street... people dressed up in traditional Shan dress, and even doing the show dressed up as peacocks etc.  Been to a few myself.  

3 hours ago, Cory1848 said:

"Tai" (without the "h") refers to a broad linguistic grouping that includes Thai, Lao, Shan, and many smaller groups. "Tai Yai" is the Thai word for Shan. Most Shans are Buddhist. There is a Tai Yai temple near where I live outside Chiang Mai and they have temple fairs occasionally; when I've gone, it's like going to a foreign country, and the Thai person I go with doesn't understand the language, although it's related to Thai. I don't know how many Shans are involved in construction and will defer to others on that, but I do know that many Shans work in agriculture in northern Thailand, some here legally, some not. It's been my impression that they are somewhat looked down upon and mistrusted by the Thais, perhaps like Mexicans are by racists in the United States.

yes I know that,

I was referring to members who called them and equate them with Thai culture and thai style of Buddhism, 

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

yep. Have big Thai Yai / Shan festivals at the local temples..... where the boys dress up and ride the dancing ponies... and the parade goes down the street... people dressed up in traditional Shan dress, and even doing the show dressed up as peacocks etc.  Been to a few myself.  

yes, not same as Thai temples and thai culture, as some of you want to present

On 9/30/2017 at 5:22 PM, LolaS said:

Perhaps not correct in detail but the just of it is correct, there are a lot of Shan people working construction in CM, probably easily over half the workers are Shan.

Thus I agree 100% with several of the posters above.

Lola S is baiting repeatedly.

2 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Perhaps not correct in detail but the just of it is correct, there are a lot of Shan people working construction in CM, probably easily over half the workers are Shan.

Thus I agree 100% with several of the posters above.

Lola S is baiting repeatedly.

Hmm, I think you dont follow topic, the discussion was about why would Shan disrespect Buddha by putting those heads on the fence.

BCS they are not Buddhist or same kind of Buddhist as thai-

follow the topic before judge

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Because they are very much a part of Thailand, there have been Shan and Shan temples in Chiang Mai since before it lost independence to Bangkok.

thai ppl would disagree with you.

On 9/30/2017 at 6:21 AM, tracker1 said:

Because these buddhists didn't appear to complain as much about the activities of the monks involved in their little escapades as placing buddist heads on a fence.

Which Buddhists didn't complain and how do you know that they didn't complain?

Which monks were drug dealers, what scams did monks commit and which monks were shaging [sic].

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Which Buddhists didn't complain and how do you know that they didn't complain?

Which monks were drug dealers, what scams did monks commit and which monks were shaging [sic].

The number of ones ones that complained about the heads as for the other issues I suggest you do some catch up reading of articles posted previously !

On 9/27/2017 at 8:39 AM, Artisi said:

The only thought going thru the suppliers head was -  the controlling God of Thailand - "money". 

Money is the controlling god of nearly every country in the world, not just Thailand. Still you could not miss an opportunity to talk bad about the Thais

30 minutes ago, Throatwobbler said:

Money is the controlling god of nearly every country in the world, not just Thailand. Still you could not miss an opportunity to talk bad about the Thais

Did you miss the cynicism? 

On 2017-09-30 at 6:35 AM, jgarbo said:

You are truly lost..... I feel very sorry for you.  

No true Christian beats his wife and buggers boys behind the apse.   Get it ? ? 

No true Buddhist shoots men, rapes women and uses children as mine detectors.   Get it ? ?

By the way.... Would you mind quoting me where I claimed Buddha told anyone to "follow" ? ?    

Thanks buddy... because I can't remember typing that. 

Lord Buddha said: “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” 

Lord Buddha said:  “Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” 

Archived