Live Edge Tables

vogie

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with these live edge tables. I have visited a few wood yards in the Pattaya area and some have cuts of wood that looks like from the trunk of the tree, they are about 4 or 5 foot long and look aged and treated. If one was to make an outdoor table (under cover) from one, would any extra work to the top be incured? Enclosed an image of one to give idea.

images (35).jpg

Edited by vogie

I would plane and sand the top.  I would apply several "thick" coats of polyurethane to all sides including heavy applications to the bark.  As the wood dries the bark will become brittle and will come off very easily if bumped or run into.

1 hour ago, wayned said:

I would plane and sand the top.  I would apply several "thick" coats of polyurethane to all sides including heavy applications to the bark.  As the wood dries the bark will become brittle and will come off very easily if bumped or run into.

If the wood is already varnished, or whatever is applied to the wood is it necessary to sand it, also if the wood is flat is it necessary to plane it?

If the wood is already smooth and flat there's no need to plane it, I assumed that it was a rough piece cut with a chainsaw.  If it's already varnished, I would lightly sand it before applying the urethane.

I made a bed with a with a large irregular piece for the headboard for my niece from some wood from a large Manila Tamarind tree that I had cut down a few years ago.  The bark is still intact and looks good but is in a location where the edge doesn't get much abuse like a table would.

Make sure you choose a good piece, look underneath.

You will find a lot of those long tables have serious "shakes" and they make an attempt to butterfly/double dovetail the joints together.

Nothing in this world will keep water out of a shake.

Thats a red flag for me aside of the 30k baht price tag they want for a 6m table top

My fil saves material for when I come and my wife tells me what papa wants me to build for him. With no particular specifications, up to me. Here’s a rudimentary set I made with a circular saw, cordless drill, hammer and a chisel and a few concealed screws underneath.
Left unfinished but they’re quite happy with it.IMG_0136.PNGIMG_0138.PNGIMG_0139.PNGIMG_0140.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

Just to say I finally finished my table, in all honesty it could do with another sanding and another cat of polyurathane, but I'll probably leave it. The timber for the top cost 3,800baht and the steel for the legs 1000baht. Made some benches to go with it. It's good enough to have a meal and a few beers from. Tried to upload a photo, but won't let me.

Mods you may as well delete this post as its pointless without the photo.

Edited by vogie

51 minutes ago, vogie said:

Mods you may as well delete this post as its pointless without the photo.

Trying to upload any photos is pointless since the geeks introduced their latest upgrades!:sorry: But not really!!!