Medical travel insurance age 70 and beyond??

atyclb

Me older than that, no problem with "Travel Insurance" coverage.

Just a reminder, Travel Insurance only covers you outside The country you purchased it in, and a few high cost destinations , which you can pay an additional premium for.

December Japan 1 week 4 $USD death, 3 $USD liability and the usual other things, travel interuption ect. less that 1,000 baht for 10 days.

Never leave home with out it!

1 minute ago, dotpoom said:

When I book my flight with my credit card the travel insurance is included.

but would it cover you at 70+ years also would it cover pre existing conditions that most 70+ have.

Pattaya expats axa insurance can be taken out at age 70, they also have one with pacific that can be taken out older than 70 

I gave up looking when I could not get a quote under 30,000 per month and that wasn't all inclusive.  Waste of money at 70 as there were too many exclusions and the payout was not consistent with the premium. I am 69 and self insuring.  

3 minutes ago, tomwct said:

Hopefully you setup a health Savings account a long time ago!

Very fortunately, I have the funds to self insure.  I would be screwed if I didn't and would spend  my time quite worried about what could happen at my age. 

15 hours ago, atyclb said:

Any companies to suggest??

It gets difficult as you know.  Many conditions.  Some want full medicals  but some just want to know about any and all hospital admissions in the last 10 years.  Don't lie.  They will accept your money but not pay out if you claim and they find out if you lied.   Many of the biggest companies are the most unlikely to cover.   Some of the biggest insurers stop at 60, 65 or 70 even if you had the policies for years.    Some will give you cover to 80 but only if you have the policy before you turn 70.   That is the condition of the company I insured with.  Some will give you the cover but only if you take a life policy as well.  (I also had to take life cover too.)   

The premiums go up every 1, 2 or 5 years and most stop all cover at 80.  After that you are "self insured " on your own savings and investments or on the Thai Government hospital system, which varies from hospital to hospital.  The best ones have the longest queues.  Some queues may start "today" but you may have to come back tomorrow or so until your turn comes up.   TIT!!!

I got it down to Thai Life Insurance and Pacific Cross Insurance which is Hong Kong based.  I will not mention which one I went with but but both were equally good policies but different approach.  I was happy with the deal I got and how it worked for my  particular circumstances.

Good luck and be prepared to be put through the hoops.    All insurance is a waste of money unless you need to claim

I

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I gave up looking when I could not get a quote under 30,000 per month and that wasn't all inclusive.  Waste of money at 70 as there were too many exclusions and the payout was not consistent with the premium. I am 69 and self insuring.  

Agree, medical insurance companies really don't want the business of people over 70. Some smart person is going to make a mint insuring my age group when he/she realises all we really want is medical insurance in case of a vehicle accident - we can take care of pre-existing conditions ourselves. And the fact we've made it to 70 on roads in several countries means we are a low-risk cohort.

Like you, I self-insure. The cheapest premium I could find here was AUD $12,000 a year, which is BS.

I have top level private health insurance in Australia for $2400 a year, which takes care of my pre-existing conditions. It's just a matter of getting myself on a flight.

6 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I have top level private health insurance in Australia for $2400 a year, which takes care of my pre-existing conditions. It's just a matter of getting myself on a flight.

Who with? I pay double that.

Just now, bazza73 said:

Lysaght PeopleCare. Best private health insurer in Australia - even the hospitals and doctors say so.

Cheers mate. Will check them out. Currently with BUPA and on hold while over here. Can do that for up to 2 years 3 times, but they are expensive.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

When I book my flight with my credit card the travel insurance is included.

Be careful - I once paid a flight with "some" Points - and the rest ($475.00) with the Card. When I had a mis-hap, I was made aware, that one has to put a MINIMUM of $ 500.00 on the Card to be covered by the Card-Associated-Travel-Insurance!!

YES, it was MY fault .... for not reading the FINE-PRINT carefully!! Had I known, it would have been very easy to use less points - just to cover the extra $15.00 to reach the required $ 500.00 Minimum.

Also, another point to be aware of is- that you MUST have a Return Ticket and the maximum period of cover is only 6 months. Since I am retired, I now mostly use OW Tickets, because I want to be free to extend my stays in other places at my leisure - and if you have a fixed Return Ticket and need to change a date, the Airlines again slug you with penalties....

I now have bought a Travel Insurance (AXA) here in Thailand for a 1 year coverage!

7 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Cheers mate. Will check them out. Currently with BUPA and on hold while over here. Can do that for up to 2 years 3 times, but they are expensive.

Please don't be disappointed if you are turned away. Peoplecare originally was a private private health fund set up specifically for BHP Steel employees and dependents back in the 1970's. I'm not sure whether they take on new accounts.

In the 1990's, they offered a buyout scheme where for about $7000 you would leave Peoplecare and shop around with other insurers. I stayed in - best decision I ever made. Just wish I could have been that smart with women.

Edited by bazza73
Addition

5 minutes ago, rhodie said:

I have also changed from HCF to BUPA, since with HCF you have to STAY in OZ for a period of 6 months - after returning to Oz from suspended monthly contributions. While with BUPA, such a time-period to remain in Oz does NOT apply.

35 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Please don't be disappointed if you are turned away. Peoplecare originally was a private private health fund set up specifically for BHP Steel employees and dependents back in the 1970's. I'm not sure whether they take on new accounts.

In the 1990's, they offered a buyout scheme where for about $7000 you would leave Peoplecare and shop around with other insurers. I stayed in - best decision I ever made. Just wish I could have been that smart with women.

Cheers. Just did an online quote. For me on a basic private hospital care plan without extras is less than $110 a month up to 65 yo. Will check them out next time I am back.

3 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Cheers. Just did an online quote. For me on a basic private hospital care plan without extras is less than $110 a month up to 65 yo. Will check them out next time I am back.

I'd recommend Level 1 if you can afford it, we never know what's around the corner. I think the reason they are cheaper is they are not-for-profit, and fund members can actually get elected to the Board. Which shows what the for-profit funds make off their customers.

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

I'd recommend Level 1 if you can afford it, we never know what's around the corner. I think the reason they are cheaper is they are not-for-profit, and fund members can actually get elected to the Board. Which shows what the for-profit funds make off their customers.

Good advice and would heed. Just did the low quick online quote to see.

OP, sorry for the TF, but this could be useful info for many. :smile:

4 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Agree, medical insurance companies really don't want the business of people over 70. Some smart person is going to make a mint insuring my age group when he/she realises all we really want is medical insurance in case of a vehicle accident - we can take care of pre-existing conditions ourselves. And the fact we've made it to 70 on roads in several countries means we are a low-risk cohort.

Like you, I self-insure. The cheapest premium I could find here was AUD $12,000 a year, which is BS.

That's the judgement, for me its can I get on a flight to the UK to get treatment.  if, God forbid, its an accident, then maybe not, but if its something like MS, cancer or a  heart condition etc that pops up, I would be on a flight asap. 

American Express Platinum International Currency card gives travel insurance cover up to age 80 (as well as other benefits such as airport lounge access and car hire excess cover for principal card holder). Also includes travel insurance cover for family and up to four supplementary card holders.

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

That's the judgement, for me its can I get on a flight to the UK to get treatment.  if, God forbid, its an accident, then maybe not, but if its something like MS, cancer or a  heart condition etc that pops up, I would be on a flight asap. 

If you have private cover in the UK then that is fine. But beware the NHS are clamping down on Brits that live overseas (outside the EU for now) most of the year or more.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

The way to have full medical coverage in Thailand when you are 70 is to start buying it when you are 50.

I didn't even know Thailand existed when I was that age, but thanks for the hindsight. Do you have any insights into which bitcoin is a good investment?