Hotmail,outlook Express

taxexile

i use hotmail for my e-mail and normally open hotmail from a link on my favourites list.

i have just got a new computer and am trying to figure out outlook express.

i have got all my hotmail folders into outlook express, except the contacts folder . i can get inbox,junk etc but not contacts.

is there some (simple) way of importing it , or am i going to have to type all my e-mail addresses into the dedicated outlook express address book.

any help will be gratefully reeived,

thanks

taxexile.

there may well be a better way to do it but I have always saved my hotmail addresses by just highlighting the text on my contact page copying , then pasting into a text file on my comp.

have a search on google or your preferred search engine..

also give a thought to using a different email client than outlook express.

most of the worms and trojans circulating at the moment are written specificly to exploit outlook...

Tax,

I am not too familiar with Hotmail but microsoft should be able to help you being their systems. As mentioned above forget outlook express but microsoft outlook can import many different types of files. But you have to find out which type of files can be downloaded from hotmail? Switching from one system to another is a bloody pain.

Cheers.........kandt :o

i've decided not to bother with outlook express,its too bloody complicated, and i'm not receiving hundreds of e-mails a day so hotmail will do.

its just that i've got a new laptop and seeing as outlook express is there i thought i would try and use it.

thanks for the replies though.

tax you might want to get youself a yahoo email address aswell.

I have set my hotmail account to only allow contacts in my contact list to email me because of the amount of spam being recieved. I have not seen this problem occur yet with my yahoo account. ( though I have a yahoo.com.au address not a yahoo.com one)

another bonus is my yahoo.com.au account allows me 6meg of space so with 3 of these accounts I have nearly 20 meg of storage space online to allow me to place files there which I can access anywhere with a net connection.

:o

• 2 weeks later...
i've decided not to bother with outlook express,its too bloody complicated, and  i'm not receiving hundreds of e-mails a day so hotmail will do.

its just that i've got a new laptop and seeing as outlook express is there i thought i would try and use it.

thanks for the replies though.

:o Pity you've decided to give up using Outlook Express - I use it on Windows XP Pro and it's great - it is fast and can deal with many Hotmail email accounts at the same time. And it will allow you to copy all your emails into folders on your PC so you can look at them at any time, not just when you are online. So it is obviously faster to look at them offline than through the Internet connection.

One way to get Hotmail addresses into your Outlook Express address book is to run Outlook Express, open an email that you have received in your Hotmail account (open it using Outlook Express), double-click on the "From" line and then click on the "Add to Address Book" button. Click OK on the next screen and it's done.

Of course, you need to have emails from ALL your contacts to get them ALL into your OE address book. I have not found a way to export Hotmail contacts, although there is a way to do the reverse.