BTS fare increases - much more than public were led to believe

webfact

BTS fare increases - much more than public were led to believe

2pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

Thai media has said that the travelling public in Bangkok will just have put up with the new fares on the capital's BTS system.

Tnews said that the public thought the fare increases would be about two baht on average.

But from October they have to pay up to 7 baht more.

Depending on the length of journey the fares were supposed to rise between one and three baht.

But now passengers travelling long distance will see five to seven baht added to their routes.

This could be as much as 59 baht on the Sukhumvit Line to Mor Chit.

BTS promised to keep the fares at the old prices for six months for those using their pre-paid cards.

But everybody else will just have to fork out more.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-03

Not to mention the surcharges on the Silom Line extension !

I use a prepaid card and even buy discounted trips but each round trip cost me and extra 30 baht because I live on the extension ! What are they going to do after the new stations in Bang Khae go live, add another 15 baht per stop ?

Ridiculous !

Busses are more comfortable and just about as fast.  Yes, trying to make a profit, well that is more than TG can say...but raising fares can  reduce revenue however, Thais are known for raising prices instead of lowering them in low season.  And TBH, I have never known a group that collectively would shoot themselves in both feet as often as our lovely Thai hosts.  The NFL is finding out that their customers have limits, same with the cable companies.  

Edited by BuddyDean

When in Thailand I'm lucky enough to have a work provided car and driver, however in rush hour times if I want to get home in a hurry, I have every now and again used the BTS which I take to meet my driver at one of the suburban stations for an easy run home, or have to nip across town.

I find it horribly overcrowded even in off peak times. If, unlike in the West, fare increases actually mean an improvement in service (more carriages, more train frequency in peak hours), this could be no bad thing, however as mentioned by other posters I wonder if this is a move to price some folks out of the service which could lead to less overcrowding and reduce the actual need to modify the existing service.

14 hours ago, BuddyDean said:

.but raising fares can  reduce revenue however, Thais are known for raising prices instead of lowering them in low season.

true enough; and when i tried explaining it was an unproductive practice to people i thought were intelligent, i got the classic mindless thai blinking