My O-A Visa was rejected (London) - Hindsight's for others

After making  application by post for O-A visa - After  three days I received an envelope special delivery back in the post.

Inside the envelope was: Passport (without visa) - 125 GBP in cash - Attached checklist  (see uploaded image)

My postal order for 135 GBP had been converted to 125 GBP cash (10 GBP used to pay for postage) and placed into the returned envelope.

Three photos are actually  required, but on the application it  asks for just two.

I had sent the original ACPO criminal record check (containing watermarks, originator signature and holographic embossed unique certificate number) and also the original signed doctor medical certificate, but it seems  that originals are not actually accepted.

- They want copies of the originals and then want the originals certified by public notary or solicitor certifying they have seen the originals and the copy is a true facsimile. 

The last requirement on the list was actually incorrect "You must apply in person only at Royal Thai Embassy in London" - However since I actually applied only by post and (not in person) after 2nd postal application I now have an O-A visa.

Note on getting the certifications:

I had certifications by a legal conveyancer  not a solicitor, who was insistent that a solicitor and a licensed conveyancer hold an entirely different authority / legality when certifying documents. However this certification was accepted - The stamp on my documents read  "certification by Property Lawyer" 

There was only the orange highlights on the original checklist - That was sent back in the post - The red pen and yellow highlights were latter added by me.

O-A Visa rejection.jpg

It might be possibly easier for purpose of retirement ( I am not married to a Thai), but I did the O-A route because I wanted to show funds via a UK bank not a Thai bank.

Also with the O-A this gets two years rather than one year that would be required for next extension.

3 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I'm surprised, I was informed that postal application couldn't be done on the non O/A. 

After speaking to the London Embassy last week they informed me that the O/A can be done by post.

I think the requirements sent back to spambot were out of date as it states £14000 income, I was told over the phone this week that the funds need to be £18000 because of the poor exchange rate.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/visa-by-post

Extract from the visa by post web-page

When Submitting your Application by Post

• Complete and sign one application form. Only visa application forms issued by The Royal Thai Embassy in London will be accepted. A separate form is required for each traveller regardless of age. Download form here.
  • Your Passport/Travel Document which must be valid for at least 6 Months from the date of  application.
  • Two (2) recent passport size photos.
  • Tourist Visa Single Entry (£25), Tourist Visa Multiple Entries (£125), Non Immigrant Visa Single Entry (£50) and Non-Immigrant Visa Multiple Entries (£125).
  • Each applicant must enclose return address and pay an extra £10 on top of the visa fee to cover the return of passport.

Visa application by post will normally be processed within 3 - 5 working days

2 hours ago, Lincsman said:

Hi Spambot

Im also going to apply by post to London.

Did you have to get each photo copy certified or just the original documents then photo copy those to send off?

Hi Lincsman

The way I read the list is seems to say each photocopy needs certifying - So I got

3 x Bank statement

3 x Medical Certificate

3x ACPO criminal record

Total 9 Certified documents

46 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I'm surprised, I was informed that postal application couldn't be done on the non O/A. 

Yup 

I was told exactly the same from each of the UK consulates I called asking if UK postal was available.

Went on this forum asking - Many said NO - Just one member announced that a fried had just done postal.

I emailed Embassy - and got confirmation back it was possible.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spambot said:

Hi Lincsman

The way I read the list is seems to say each photocopy needs certifying - So I got

3 x Bank statement

3 x Medical Certificate

3x ACPO criminal record

Total 9 Certified documents

Thanks spambot,

I got quoted today by my solicitors that the fee is £5.00 per document, so £45.00!

Edited by Lincsman

28 minutes ago, Lincsman said:

After speaking to the London Embassy last week they informed me that the O/A can be done by post.

I think the requirements sent back to spambot were out of date as it states £14000 income, I was told over the phone this week that the funds need to be £18000 because of the poor exchange rate.

• Complete and sign one application form. Only visa application forms issued by The Royal Thai Embassy in London will be accepted. A separate form is required for each traveller regardless of age. Download form here.
  • Your Passport/Travel Document which must be valid for at least 6 Months from the date of  application.
  • Tourist Visa Single Entry (£25), Tourist Visa Multiple Entries (£125), Non Immigrant Visa Single Entry (£50) and Non-Immigrant Visa Multiple Entries (£125).
  • Each applicant must enclose return address and pay an extra £10 on top of the visa fee to cover the return of passport.

The requirements probably were out of date that they sent - Since I did get a postal O-A visa.

So its not entirely clear which requirements on the list are still appropriate. But do watch out however for differences between what is listed on your post above / the embassy website and the extra requirements that were highlighted as missing on my application since they actually want 3 (not 2) passport size photos and they want 3 completed application forms (not 1)

- (see orange highlighter in image uploaded) as rejection.

it also says you should provide 3 O-A application forms - But I sent only one on the first postal and they did not  highlight this as an error.

Hats off to you if you got someone to answer the phone call - I spent 1 hr 45 Mins listening to a recorded message "please hold the line your call is important to us" before I gave up

3 minutes ago, Lincsman said:

Thanks spambot,

I got quoted today by my solicitors that the fee is £5.00 per document, so £45.00!

Hi Lincsman

The price you were quoted sounds about right per document - However it does seem ridiculous that Embassy need all 9 to be certified as this increases your costs by 30 GBP

Use the people that are linked in the Thai Visa website page. Its not far from the embassy and I used them and did mind the same day. Helps of course that I lived in London.

Also you only need to hand over 1 signed copy of each so it will cost no more than £15, if you go in person the person behind the window will give you back all the copies. She only wants one of each, and that it the photocopy  with the solicitors signature on it.

Edited by berybert

1 minute ago, spambot said:

The requirements probably were out of date that they sent - Since I did get a postal O-A visa.

So its not entirely clear which requirements on the list are still appropriate. But do watch out however for differences between what is listed on your post above / the embassy website and the extra requirements that were highlighted as missing on my application since they actually want 3 (not 2) passport size photos and they want 3 completed application forms (not 1)

- (see orange highlighter in image uploaded) as rejection.

it also says you should provide 3 O-A application forms - But I sent only one on the first postal and they did not  highlight this as an error.

Hats off to you if you got someone to answer the phone call - I spent 1 hr 45 Mins listening to a recorded message "please hold the line your call is important to us" before I gave up

Thanks for the info, strange thing is the web page I'm looking at says 3 photos etc but I have seen a web page still quoting £14000 funds!

Did you send a bank reference letter as asked for? Quote from web-page below...

If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

7 minutes ago, Lincsman said:

Thanks for the info, strange thing is the web page I'm looking at says 3 photos etc but I have seen a web page still quoting £14000 funds!

Did you send a bank reference letter as asked for? Quote from web-page below...

If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

I had a nightmare trying to sort out the letter from the back. Barclays whom I bank with would only do it if a 3rd party sent in the request.

In the end I just went to the branch on the day I did the visa and got them to print off my past 3 months statements which showed the money was in the back. Which was accepted no questions asked.

I only got the last copy signed and the rest I handed over and as I said previous, was all given back to me.

Edit.

It is a lot easier  to do the visa than you would expect.

Edited by berybert

Hi Lincsman

Because I have an online paperless Nationwide account - I had to walk into branch and they will automatically on request print out and stamp sign the printout as authentic (with a contact number). I got this printout then certified also with legal conveyancer  company.

16 minutes ago, berybert said:

Use the people that are linked in the Thai Visa website page. Its not far from the embassy and I used them and did mind the same day. Helps of course that I lived in London.

Also you only need to hand over 1 signed copy of each so it will cost no more than £15, if you go in person the person behind the window will give you back all the copies. She only wants one of each, and that it the photocopy  with the solicitors signature on it.

Hi berybert

Just So I understand - did you take three copies of Bank, medical criminal  to the Embassy - Only one of each was certified - You handed across all 9 copies - The Embassy then gave you back two of each of the Bank, medical criminal (6 in total) and these were the ones that were not certified?

1 hour ago, Lincsman said:

This is poor from the embassy as it really doesn't tell you what you need.

This does.

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay)

• Copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £18,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  • Criminal Record check from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  • Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

Note: Copies of bank statement, criminal record, medical record and marriage certificate must be certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors

2 minutes ago, spambot said:

Hi berybert

Just So I understand - did you take three copies of Bank, medical criminal  to the Embassy - Only one of each was certified - You handed across all 9 copies - The Embassy then gave you back two of each of the Bank, medical criminal (6 in total) and these were the ones that were not certified?

Yes mate. That letter you got seems to have been made up by someone for a laugh. Its not even on proper headed paper.

They only wanted one copy of each. The woman wasn't happy I gave her so much.

Just now, berybert said:

Yes mate. That letter you got seems to have been made up by someone for a laugh. Its not even on proper headed paper.

They only wanted one copy of each. The woman wasn't happy I gave her so much.

Hi berybert

Mnnn interesting - So for you 3 copies were not necessary - they only needed one copy (so long as it was certified)?

Hi berybert

Mnnn interesting - So for you 3 copies were not necessary - they only needed one copy (so long as it was certified)?

Yes. If I remember rightly Ashton's who are the linked solicitors in the embassy website told me only one was needed. I was handed back the original and one copy of each.

Hi berybert

Makes me wonder if the postal applications are different in some way, but if they are I can not work out why they would need to be.

I am guessing that the request for 3 photocopies was an old requirement - since 3 photo copies was not highlighted on the checklist as error when sent to me when I only sent one. Unfortunately for me the ones I sent were originals, but should have been certified copies.

Just now, spambot said:

Hi berybert

Makes me wonder if the postal applications are different in some way, but if they are I can not work out why they would need to be.

I am guessing that the request for 3 photocopies was an old requirement - since 3 photo copies was not highlighted on the checklist as error when sent to me when I only sent one. Unfortunately for me the ones I sent were originals, but should have been certified copies.

Yes the request for proof of 14,000 baht is very old, so you would imagine the others bits on the letter are also. Re the copies, that's why I tell people to use the solicitors links on the embassy website. They know what they are doing as they do it everyday.

6 minutes ago, berybert said:

Yes the request for proof of 14,000 baht is very old, so you would imagine the others bits on the letter are also. Re the copies, that's why I tell people to use the solicitors links on the embassy website. They know what they are doing as they do it everyday.

Yup - True.

But from Yorkshire doing a postal is more difficult - I did contact Ashtons and was advised they could not help in a postal application.

Yup - True.

But from Yorkshire doing a postal is more difficult - I did contact Ashtons and was advised they could not help in a postal application.

Fair enough. Not a lot of money anyway £30. But I'd rather it in my pocket than theirs.

10 hours ago, spambot said:

After making  application by post for O-A visa - After  three days I received an envelope special delivery back in the post.

Inside the envelope was: Passport (without visa) - 125 GBP in cash - Attached checklist  (see uploaded image)

My postal order for 135 GBP had been converted to 125 GBP cash (10 GBP used to pay for postage) and placed into the returned envelope.

Three photos are actually  required, but on the application it  asks for just two.

I had sent the original ACPO criminal record check (containing watermarks, originator signature and holographic embossed unique certificate number) and also the original signed doctor medical certificate, but it seems  that originals are not actually accepted.

- They want copies of the originals and then want the originals certified by public notary or solicitor certifying they have seen the originals and the copy is a true facsimile. 

The last requirement on the list was actually incorrect "You must apply in person only at Royal Thai Embassy in London" - However since I actually applied only by post and (not in person) after 2nd postal application I now have an O-A visa.

Note on getting the certifications:

I had certifications by a legal conveyancer  not a solicitor, who was insistent that a solicitor and a licensed conveyancer hold an entirely different authority / legality when certifying documents. However this certification was accepted - The stamp on my documents read  "certification by Property Lawyer" 

There was only the orange highlights on the original checklist - That was sent back in the post - The red pen and yellow highlights were latter added by me.

O-A Visa rejection.jpg

Hi spambot,

Did you send in a copy/copy's of the additional O/A long stay form which is only mentioned on some web-pages, see attachment

OA Long Stay Additional form.pdf

Web page

http://supibee.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/forms/Long Stay.pdf

Edited by Lincsman

4 hours ago, Lincsman said:

Hi spambot,

Did you send in a copy/copy's of the additional O/A long stay form which is only mentioned on some web-pages, see attachment

OA Long Stay Additional form.pdf

Web page

http://supibee.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/forms/Long Stay.pdf

Lincsman  you do need to include  that form. I recall filling in 1 copy although not 100% sure, it might have been 3. You do not need to get it notarized tho.

The embassy website is the only one you should be taking notice of. Having said that its a badly designed site.

Lots of the other sites you might read are agents trying to earn some money.

Edited by berybert
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, spambot said:

Hi berybert

This was my experience too with the non O/A in London 11 months ago (I went in person). Only one certified copy of each document was needed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, berybert said:

Lincsman  you do need to include  that form. I recall filling in 1 copy although not 100% sure, it might have been 3. You do not need to get it notarized tho.

The embassy website is the only one you should be taking notice of. Having said that its a badly designed site.

Lots of the other sites you might read are agents trying to earn some money.

Thanks berybert, I asked as I had not seen the additional form mentioned before in forum chats, cheers.

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

This was my experience too with the non O/A in London 11 months ago (I went in person). Only one certified copy of each document was needed. 

Just to confirm, was that 1 copy of the original then only the copy certified and given to the Embassy?

51 minutes ago, Lincsman said:

Just to confirm, was that 1 copy of the original then only the copy certified and given to the Embassy?

No you have to give them a copy. They do not want originals and you don't want to be paying to get the originals signed because it will be a waste of money.  Your solicitor needs to copy each original and then sign one copy of each. 3 copies £15.