City of Oxford strips Aung San Suu Kyi of human rights award

webfact

City of Oxford strips Aung San Suu Kyi of human rights award

tag-reuters-1.jpg

FILE PHOTO - Myanmar State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi talks during a news conference with India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Naypyitaw, Myanmar September 6, 2017. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

LONDON (Reuters) - Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been stripped of a human rights award by the City of Oxford, where she was an undergraduate, as British institutions increasingly distance themselves from the beleaguered former rights icon.

Oxford City Council voted unanimously this week to recommend Suu Kyi's Freedom of the City award be withdrawn, citing deep concerns over the treatment of Rohingya Muslims under her watch.

The city's reputation is "tarnished by honouring those who turn a blind eye to violence," local councillor and Labour party member Mary Clarkson said in a speech proposing the motion.

Over 500,000 members of Myanmar's Rohingya minority have fled across the border to Bangladesh since late August, when militant Rohingya attacks led to a violent crackdown by the army.

Myanmar's de facto leader Suu Kyi, previously renowned for her human rights activism, has been widely criticised for her silence on the subject.

"While the UN calls the situation a 'textbook example of ethnic cleansing', Aung San Suu Kyi denies any ethnic cleansing and dismisses numerous claims of sexual violence against Rohingya women as 'fake rape,'" Clarkson said.

In a speech in late September, her first public statement on the subject since the exodus of refugees began, Suu Kyi said her government condemned all human rights violations and promised to punish perpetrators.

But she did not address accusations of ethnic cleansing and did not criticise the army's actions. Her speech was described as "little more than a mix of untruths and victim-blaming" by Amnesty International director for the region, James Gomez.

A similar Freedom of the City award is being considered for withdrawal by Sheffield city council in the north of England, after residents submitted a petition last month.

The award will likely be reviewed by councillors this month, the council's democratic services team, which handles petitions, told Reuters.

Oxford University college St Hugh's, Suu Kyi's alma mater, removed her portrait last week from public display while Unison, Britain's second-largest trade union, announced last month it would suspend her honorary membership.

(Reporting by Polina Ivanova; editing by Stephen Addison)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-05

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact is the Rohingya have been a thorn in the side always ,they are not exactly some lovely peace loving people ,nobody wants them ,Thailand has turned boatloads of them away for as long as i have been here ,Bangladesh has loads of them stuffed into camps but does not want them . Burma is glad to be rid of them ,and its not all about the fact they are Muslim .

It is getting clear more and more, England is becoming an muslim loving country.

Or should I say a muslimised country.

Anything done and lied about by Islam is taken as truth, anything done by "enemies" of Islam is ignored.

Shameful!

18 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

No-one ever seems greatly perturbed by the atrocious treatment of Christians by muslims, as so often happens in predominantly muslim countries. 

BS.  I read about this in the press on a regular basis.  But the scale of this dwarfs most atrocities like you describe.  It's stunning and a genocide.  Myanmar needs to be held account for this.

Watch this. Hopefully, it will provide some education as to what's going on.  Sickening.

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2017/10/04/myanmar-intv-amanpour-tirana-hassan.cnn/video/playlists/amanpour/

Amnesty: Myanmar military burned Rohingya villages

First: great you guys!

"...but...but...but...Muslims!"

Never heard a better point! :coffee1:

Second: to think, that this old hag was my hero in the 80"s, makes me cringe!

The whole world stood behind her, in her fight against injustice and for political freedom.

And now, when she is put in a position, where she could make a difference, she keeps silent or talks BS about an ethnic- minority and their rights!

It is laughable...but too sad!

Astonishing, what comes to light, if you shine it on your idols!

6 minutes ago, DM07 said:

The whole world stood behind her, in her fight against injustice and for political freedom.

And now, when she is put in a position, where she could make a difference, she keeps silent or talks BS about an ethnic- minority and their rights!

I avoided traveling to Myanmar until she was elected.  I was actually there when she was elected, and for several weeks leading up to the election.

What a shame.  We held out great hope for her.  But now are let down.  I understand the military are still running things there.  But she needs to speak up.  No matter the consequences.

Lots of good info here:

http://edition.cnn.com/specials/asia/rohingya

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/28/asia/myanmar-un-security-council/index.html

UN Security Council finally losing patience with Myanmar

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told the council that the current outbreak of violence has "spiraled into the world's fastest-developing refugee emergency, a humanitarian and human rights nightmare."

"We've received bone-chilling accounts from those who fled, mainly women, children and the elderly," he said.

Mayanmar is best off without those trouble makers, they have been there 200 years but still not integrated and even monks want them out. She should be given another peace prize, in the long run the country will be far more peaceful without them, they will be better suited to a Muslim country. 

Mayanmar is best off without those trouble makers, they have been there 200 years but still not integrated and even monks want them out. She should be given another peace prize, in the long run the country will be far more peaceful without them, they will be better suited to a Muslim country. 

Unfortunately, trouble makers come in all guises.

However, failure or refusing to integrate then the Country leadership takes action, what a shocker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, UnkleMoooose said:

I'm sure she's devastated about what the snowflakes at Oxford think. Her choice was simple, offend the bleeding heart left-wing western media or rid her country of the Muslim plague.  Hmmmmm.........

What a heartless and racist post. Terrible. 

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

The fact is the Rohingya have been a thorn in the side always ,they are not exactly some lovely peace loving people ,nobody wants them ,Thailand has turned boatloads of them away for as long as i have been here ,Bangladesh has loads of them stuffed into camps but does not want them . Burma is glad to be rid of them ,and its not all about the fact they are Muslim .

You allude but you don't specify. Pray tell us what you seem eager to say about why the Rohingya are so hated (as you infer)?

this is all about a leader doing what is right for her country, she has guts, not like many other country leaders, and of cause, dogooders fueled by Muslims who are offended by such a thing, just in case other leaders get the same idea, soon Thailand is going to be stuck with the same problem, wonder what they will do

4 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

No-one ever seems greatly perturbed by the atrocious treatment of Christians by muslims, as so often happens in predominantly muslim countries. 

Christianity isn't PC old son. Islam is. Note that Islam always get's along with the extreme left.

4 hours ago, hansnl said:

It is getting clear more and more, England is becoming an muslim loving country.

Or should I say a muslimised country.

Anything done and lied about by Islam is taken as truth, anything done by "enemies" of Islam is ignored.

Shameful!

It's worth noting that Oxford City Council is a Labor controlled council. And Labor has a very big majority. The same Labor Party whose Diane Abbot called the Manchester concert outrage "an incident"; the London Bridge attack "an incident" but immediately referred to the "Terrorist attack outside a London Mosque".

Labor supports Islam, in all it's forms as the Muslim communities deliver big Labor block votes. Of course, they are rewarded for their enlightenment!

Note how senior Labor politicians avoid using the word terrorist in connect with Islam, muslims or any related terror attacks; always emphasizing it's radicals, a small minority etc and it's always "an incident". Yet watch them spring to the attack when defending Muslims.

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

Yeah, if yesterday's hero turns out to be a zero!

Nothing to do with "pc"! 

It does have something to do with PC.

There were interviews and reports over the years, from back when she was many people's hero, which contained some clues about a wider scope of positions and views held. But as such things often go, once a political figure is set on a pedestal as a hero, incongruous and uncomfortable details are shoved aside and ignored.

If the narrative pushed was that she's a symbol of the struggle for democracy, freedom and equality - it wouldn't do to complicate things.

It is understandable, if not highlighted, that she operates within the political and social constraints of country and society. The outsider expectation seems to be that she'll live up to a dreamed up image and exceed such boundaries. Whether the disappointment with her is warranted makes a good question - did she mislead international public opinion? Were there things she said strongly implying a different position?

Perhaps a good lesson about idolizing political figures (especially those hailing from foreign parts), and attempting to set them up as representing familiar ideals.

39 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

You allude but you don't specify. Pray tell us what you seem eager to say about why the Rohingya are so hated (as you infer)?

I can't answer your question to another poster.

However, it is somewhat strange that Bangladesh, with ethnic and religious similarities, rejects the Rohingya. Nor has any other regional or wealthy Muslim country offered them a welcome. Wouldn't you agree?

4 hours ago, DM07 said:

The military junta is still running the  country she is just the puppet

39 minutes ago, Morch said:

It does have something to do with PC.

There were interviews and reports over the years, from back when she was many people's hero, which contained some clues about a wider scope of positions and views held. But as such things often go, once a political figure is set on a pedestal as a hero, incongruous and uncomfortable details are shoved aside and ignored.

If the narrative pushed was that she's a symbol of the struggle for democracy, freedom and equality - it wouldn't do to complicate things.

It is understandable, if not highlighted, that she operates within the political and social constraints of country and society. The outsider expectation seems to be that she'll live up to a dreamed up image and exceed such boundaries. Whether the disappointment with her is warranted makes a good question - did she mislead international public opinion? Were there things she said strongly implying a different position?

Perhaps a good lesson about idolizing political figures (especially those hailing from foreign parts), and attempting to set them up as representing familiar ideals.

A thoughtful post.

I visited before the elections and then 18months later. 

The difference wad extraordinary- simple things such as availability of mobiles, internet, ATMs - new infrastructure, hotels . Investment pouring into the country.

I think you are correct- everyone imagines she is now president; wielding power in the parliament. No she has no real power, she cannot change the constitution- the military ( which is vast and powerful ) still calls the shots and parliament. 

If she does bow down to accept the Rohingya into the country- she knows exactly what will happen- a civil war- a long fight for a separate Muslim state, Sharia law etc etc. 

Dont forget Muslims do not accept man made laws- only those handed down by the sky fairy. 

13 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

A thoughtful post.

I visited before the elections and then 18months later. 

The difference wad extraordinary- simple things such as availability of mobiles, internet, ATMs - new infrastructure, hotels . Investment pouring into the country.

I think you are correct- everyone imagines she is now president; wielding power in the parliament. No she has no real power, she cannot change the constitution- the military ( which is vast and powerful ) still calls the shots and parliament. 

If she does bow down to accept the Rohingya into the country- she knows exactly what will happen- a civil war- a long fight for a separate Muslim state, Sharia law etc etc. 

Dont forget Muslims do not accept man made laws- only those handed down by the sky fairy. 

I don't know that she wants to "accept the Rohingya into the country" or that she ever did. People seem surprised at Myanmar's nationalist/sectarian/racist outburst, and somehow dismayed that the hero cast for the role fails to fulfill expectations. 

Without getting sidetracked, Thai politics and politicians would show that a Western education (or even upbringing) is not a guarantee that Western ideals will take precedence to accepted norms and social traditions when push comes to shove.

The nonsense wide brush comment making your last remark is both factually incorrect and not really all that relevant to the current situation.

It's worth noting that Oxford City Council is a Labor controlled council. And Labor has a very big majority. The same Labor Party whose Diane Abbot called the Manchester concert outrage "an incident"; the London Bridge attack "an incident" but immediately referred to the "Terrorist attack outside a London Mosque".

Labor supports Islam, in all it's forms as the Muslim communities deliver big Labor block votes. Of course, they are rewarded for their enlightenment!
Note how senior Labor politicians avoid using the word terrorist in connect with Islam, muslims or any related terror attacks; always emphasizing it's radicals, a small minority etc and it's always "an incident". Yet watch them spring to the attack when defending Muslims.

Well Labour are very anti Jew .but pro Muslim

45 minutes ago, Thechook said:

The military junta is still running the  country she is just the puppet

That the junta was running the country, didn't keep her from speaking out on "her" issues...

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

I can't answer your question to another poster.

However, it is somewhat strange that Bangladesh, with ethnic and religious similarities, rejects the Rohingya. Nor has any other regional or wealthy Muslim country offered them a welcome. Wouldn't you agree?

No it's not strange that Bangladesh - a somewhat overpopulated & poor country - should not want another half-million of another country's citizens. It does, with help from NGOs, provide basic shelter & food for them. There is also a small contingent of Hindus who were forced to evacuate their villages and flee to Bangladesh too.

Actually you should know that both Malaysia & Indonesia accepted many Rohingya from the last instance of ethnic cleansing.

ASSK is half helpless with the army really in control and half preserving her political base with the neo-Nazi monks having stirred up ethnic Burman. The army (Tatmadaw) is a brutal organisation which has driven large numbers of non-ethnic Burman (Karen, Kachin, Wa, any many others) over the border into Thailand & China - the list of atrocities is a long one.