7-Eleven convenience stores cease selling draft beer temporarily

webfact

21 hours ago, brommers said:

The rationale given for not allowing the sale of draught beer was that car drivers could drink and drive after buying one. It seems to me that the dolts who made this comment have not realised that if you buy a can of beer or a bottle of whisky or wine you can also drink this the moment you get into your car. Duh!

I was in my local village shop yesterday morning. The shop is next to the village school gate and sells alcohol openly. I saw a truck driver delivering to the shop who bought a can of beer and cracked it open just before getting back into his truck and driving off. It is one thing for these groups to apply pressure to stop the sale draught beer in 7/11s but the reality is that there is virtually no way to stop alcohol being sold to whoever wants it in places and at times when alcohol should not be sold. 

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Gotta love the logic here. No wonder it's a culture of not complaining or debating. Just do as I say.

Remember dating a girl who said she didn't drink. Not because it's bad for your health or she just didn't like it - because she was a 'good girl'. That really ticked me off, so I started to question her on the logic. How does having a beer, etc, make you a bad person? She had no answer because the logic was stupid and completely uninformed. I asked her if she ever paid 'tea money' to the police when driving. She said she had, so I went on a rant about how corruption is a cancer in society. 

Suffice to say we never met again. 99% of the time I let things go. But ignorance mixed with sanctimony can set people off. 

drinks.jpg

7 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I'm the same as you BP, I never knew that "draft/draught beer was available at any 7-11 anywhere. Draft beer by definition is drawn from a pressurized cask or keg.

I always thought 7-11 sold canned and bottled beers.

Clarification anyone?

Sorry just saw the machine.

Edited by amvet

3 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

I was in my local village shop yesterday morning. The shop is next to the village school gate and sells alcohol openly. I saw a truck driver delivering to the shop who bought a can of beer and cracked it open just before getting back into his truck and driving off. It is one thing for these groups to apply pressure to stop the sale draught beer in 7/11s but the reality is that there is virtually no way to stop alcohol being sold to whoever wants it in places and at times when alcohol should not be sold. 

What time should alcohol not be sold? What time should chickens not be sold?

Just now, amvet said:

What does my phone have to do with a fake news story about 7/11 selling draft beer?

I thought smart phone users were smarter than the general populace, 

This is not fake nes...go back a couple of pages...or read the thread from a few days ago. 7/11 were selling beer on tap and it has been temporarily suspended pending discussion with senior executives.

The information is all out there...and available.on your smart phone!

2 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

What time should alcohol not be sold? What time should chickens not be sold?

The whole licensing timetable in this country is somewhat childish and poorly thought out.

You can only buy alcohol at supermarkets, 7-11 stores etc, between 11:00hrs and 1400 hrs and 17:00  to 00:00 . However my wife can send our 9 year old nephew down to the little store under the big tree by the river and return with 3 bottles of Leo at 15:00 any day of the week.  He hates beer.

And for those that think that is irresponsible, I also was sent down to the off license, Stowells, in  London in the 1950s to buy a bottle of Spanish sherry for mum and dad after lunch..I like sherry. 

6 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I thought smart phone users were smarter than the general populace, 

This is not fake nes...go back a couple of pages...or read the thread from a few days ago. 7/11 were selling beer on tap and it has been temporarily suspended pending discussion with senior executives.

The information is all out there...and available.on your smart phone!

If you had read my update before you posted you would have seen I corrected it before you posted.

10 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

A thousand apologies

I should have looked better.  I was aware they had them in Japan but I've never seen one in Thailand.  I think it's a great idea.  Draft tastes better and is better for your digestion.

draft.jpg

8 minutes ago, jvs said:

So is there a difference in taste?

Most draft beer that I'm used to is still live so a major difference and you should be able to culture the yeast at least the last time I tried that was possible. 

On 10/6/2017 at 4:04 PM, brommers said:

The rationale given for not allowing the sale of draught beer was that car drivers could drink and drive after buying one. It seems to me that the dolts who made this comment have not realised that if you buy a can of beer or a bottle of whisky or wine you can also drink this the moment you get into your car. Duh!

That wasn't mentioned at all in the link.

On 10/7/2017 at 9:28 AM, malt25 said:

I'm missing something here. I think only 2 countries still use imperial measurements. I thought English = metric ?

Why do think they're called Imperial units? The frogs are the ones who have always pushed metric units.

On 10/7/2017 at 8:56 AM, LoZth said:

So, if draught beer dispensers are maybe going to be outlawed in the 7's will there be any chance of buying a secondhand one to put in my front room do you think?

That would save me the 500yds (I'm English, I don't do foreign measurements :smile: ) trek to the 7.

Good thought!

on the measurement system, stick to your guns. That will teach these heathens that you're nobodies fool.

In the meantime it guarantees that you will be misunderstood and cause annoying errors.

21 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Why do think they're called Imperial units? The frogs are the ones who have always pushed metric units.

What are you on about ? The WORLD is metric, except 2 countries. Nothing to do with the Frogs pushing anything.