Weinstein on indefinite leave as company investigates allegations

rooster59

Weinstein on indefinite leave as company investigates allegations

By Piya Sinha-Roy and Jill Serjeant

640x640 (6).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Harvey Weinstein poses on the Red Carpet after arriving at the 89th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California, U.S., February 26, 2017. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Co-chairman Harvey Weinstein was taking an indefinite leave from the Weinstein Co, the film production company said on Friday, adding it will conduct an internal investigation into the New York Times' report of sexual harassment allegations against one of the most powerful men in Hollywood.

The Weinstein Company board of representatives said in a statement that it takes "extremely seriously" the accusations made in the Times story that said Weinstein had made eight settlements with women who had accused him of unwanted physical contact and sexual harassment over three decades.

Meanwhile, the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and several Democratic politicians including Senators Kamala Harris, Cory Booker and Chuck Schumer said Friday they will re-route Weinstein's political donations to women's rights groups.

Weinstein Co board representatives called it "essential" to company culture "that all women who work for it or have any dealings with it or any of our executives are treated with respect and have no experience of harassment or discrimination."

The company said it has retained an outside legal firm to conduct an independent investigation into the allegations.

Weinstein, 65, will take an indefinite leave of absence, the company said. His brother Bob, a co-chairman, and chief operating officer David Glasser will lead the company.

"As Harvey has said, it is important for him to get professional help for the problems he has acknowledged. Next steps will depend on Harvey’s therapeutic progress, the outcome of the Board’s independent investigation, and Harvey’s own personal decisions," the board representatives added.

Weinstein initially responded to the Times story on Thursday by apologising for causing anyone pain, and saying he was taking a leave of absence.

His lawyer later threatened to sue the New York Times.

Weinstein, one of Hollywood's best-known figures, has produced or distributed Oscar-winning movies including "Shakespeare in Love" and "Chicago." He was a prominent donor to Democrats during the 2016 general election campaign.

"The DNC will donate over $30,000 in contributions from Weinstein to EMILY's List, Emerge America and Higher Heights because what we need is more women in power," DNC communications director Xochitl Hinojosa said in a statement.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-07

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Hollywood producer with a casting couch.   Who'd a' thunk it?

8 settlements over 30 years?  I wonder who's been harassed, the ladies or the guy they've gotten money from?   I suspect they'd have paid that many settlements even if there was no merit to them, just to make the cases go away.

OTOH, string him up if he did abuse the women in the company.

Edited by impulse

An internal company investigation......seems Thailand is not alone with the Hi So culture...why aren't the police involved?

Maybe the equivalent of a 500 baht and a Jewish Wai cover up to the allegedly abused women will occur and then back to business as normal.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Given the power and influence he wields, I would imagine he would be the one being harassed.

It seems the more information coming out would lead one to believe that Weinstein has indeed used his position and power to take advantage of the "casting" couch.  He has seemingly admitted to his "problems" and is seeking help.  Of all people coming to his legal defense is Lisa Bloom, Gloria Allred's daughter.  What hypocrisy on her part listening to her spout off in his defense.  Shows you who is following the big bucks on this case.  

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

Maybe the equivalent of a 500 baht and a Jewish Wai cover up to the allegedly abused women will occur and then back to business as normal.

I do think that you are trying a bit too hard to be clever, there .

16 hours ago, impulse said:

A Hollywood producer with a casting couch.   Who'd a' thunk it?

My thoughts exactly, probably dates back to the origins of theatre itself. 

If the trend picks up who knows what stories will surface about who, both boys and girls.

When I'm not impressed with someone's acting ability and they somehow go on to popularity my usual remark is "their talents must lie off-screen."  A lot of that going around.

43 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Ah...the folly of youth...but he's repented his ways :)

You might also want to takemnote that our President was expressing VERBALLY his fantasies about women to a male friend whereas dozens of women are coming forward and reporting instances of serious verbal and physical intimidation and unwanted sexual contact by this Weinstein creap. I think the more appropriate comparison would be to that other Clinton...what's his name...oh yeah William Jefferson Clinton.

It seems that you want to play politics with this.   I am not sure why, since Weinstein is not a politician.   Of course, that won't stop you, so let's take a look at how YOUR President's situation was handled as opposed to Weinstein.   

Weinstein was removed from the country, very, very early once the allegations were made public.   His wife has since said she would leave him.   So basically, he is now a powerless person.   YOUR President on the other hand continued to deny, deflect, threaten and in other ways intimidate his accusers; and there are quite a few.

It's important that people like Weinstein and YOUR President be removed from power is because once they have no more power, their influence quickly wanes over accusers.   The accusers are at a distinct disadvantage as long as the predator remains in power.   

Once Weinstein was removed from HIS company, more victims came forward, some with serious allegations and others with information that go toward establishing a profile of how he operated with his victims.   In short, some of the information simply corroborates the more serious victims.

Why do they wait to come forward?   Because as long as Weinstein is in power, he has the ability to negatively affect the careers of many actresses.   He's out, and they are free to talk.

One the Pervert-in-Chief is out, I suspect the same thing will happen, except he probably has more serious legal problems to deal with first.   

50 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

You might also want to takemnote that our President was expressing VERBALLY his fantasies about women to a male friend whereas dozens of women are coming forward and reporting instances of serious verbal and physical intimidation and unwanted sexual contact by this Weinstein creap. I think the more appropriate comparison would be to that other Clinton...what's his name...oh yeah William Jefferson Clinton.

“He’s repented his ways”

which of his ways has he repented—his love of Democrats or his penchant for sexual harassment?

When it comes to accusations of sexual harassment, for those who’ve been living in a cave:

A Running List Of The Women Who've Accused Donald Trump Of Sexual Assault

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-running-list-of-all-the-women-whove-accused-donald-trump-of-sexual-assault_us_57ffae1fe4b0162c043a7212

Furthermore, Trump as admitted to (and it has been confirmed by contestants who were present) perving  on teens in their changing rooms during Miss Teen USA contests.

On 10/8/2017 at 2:06 AM, JHolmesJr said:

Given the power and influence he wields, I would imagine he would be the one being harassed.

That poor potted plant he ejaculated into  while wanking off in front of chicks is the one that was ultimately harassed! 555

57 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

And to compare Trump with this pervert Weinstein is like crickets to a chain saw. ..

On 10/8/2017 at 4:20 AM, OMGImInPattaya said:

Major Democrat Party donor, self-described "feminist," Woman's March participant (did he wear a pink pussy hat?), Hillary supporter, Trump hater, ...oh the irony...LOL

Trump fans are trying to whip this up into a Democratic-Party-bashing orgy.  It's an old white guy who probably fiddled around with some pretty young women.  He happens to be a donor to the Dem party, as are tens of millions of other folks.  

11 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

It's an old white guy who probably fiddled around with some pretty young women.  He happens to be a donor to the Dem party, as are tens of millions of other folks.  

Those words could also be describing Trump!

11 minutes ago, coconuthead said:

1507662761491.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Hilary doesn't mind the odd sex beast, after all she is married to one.

You’re right, she doesn’t mind having her photo taken with a creep.

84CA777F-7A0F-4B29-887E-5C442340373A.jpeg.207d0449c9f1914b12297c24165de4b7.jpeg

and the creep and his family don’t mind being photographed with other creeps

0526011A-47B1-4D7A-A790-9E0DB6B56B79.jpeg.23df4b49a1881ff2034297de5175d3cd.jpeg

AB816FB5-DA98-4680-99BF-785096AE8E29.jpeg.60eab693f67c86e0be6e0e0640d306fa.jpeg

Edited by Thakkar

2 hours ago, Credo said:

It seems that you want to play politics with this.   I am not sure why, since Weinstein is not a politician.   Of course, that won't stop you, so let's take a look at how YOUR President's situation was handled as opposed to Weinstein.   

Weinstein was removed from the country, very, very early once the allegations were made public.   His wife has since said she would leave him.   So basically, he is now a powerless person.   YOUR President on the other hand continued to deny, deflect, threaten and in other ways intimidate his accusers; and there are quite a few.

It's important that people like Weinstein and YOUR President be removed from power is because once they have no more power, their influence quickly wanes over accusers.   The accusers are at a distinct disadvantage as long as the predator remains in power.   

Once Weinstein was removed from HIS company, more victims came forward, some with serious allegations and others with information that go toward establishing a profile of how he operated with his victims.   In short, some of the information simply corroborates the more serious victims.

Why do they wait to come forward?   Because as long as Weinstein is in power, he has the ability to negatively affect the careers of many actresses.   He's out, and they are free to talk.

One the Pervert-in-Chief is out, I suspect the same thing will happen, except he probably has more serious legal problems to deal with first.   

I knowof no credible reports of any sexual intimidation or harassment by the President and there are NO reports that he has ever paid legal settlements or "hush money" to women who have claimed harassment or sued him in court.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

21 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Weinstein was removed from the country, very, very early once the allegations were made public

After new allegations emerged that he had engaged in decades of sexual harassment, Oscar-winning film producer Harvey Weinstein was fired from his firm, the Weinstein Company. He was fired for violating the company's very strict '127 strikes and you're out' rule." ..................:wub:

21 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

This perv isn't on indefinite leave., he's been outright fired and his name Stripped from the company and all movies and entertainment associated with him. 

That is a shame because he is a genius who knows how to spot a winner script like nobody else. After this miramax is done.

I cant see whats the big deal if he used his position to pressure a few women into submission....it is a very normal thing that happens in corporate life....and this is showbiz, which is way more OTT version.

Another consequence of the ultra PC bs and saw culture that has pervaded our society.

Where a man sticks his dick is his own business....unless the recipient is unwilling. If he did that, that's his mistake.

3 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Trump fans are trying to whip this up into a Democratic-Party-bashing orgy.  It's an old white guy who probably fiddled around with some pretty young women.  He happens to be a donor to the Dem party, as are tens of millions of other folks.  

Yep...nothing to see here. The Democrat Party and the mainstream media went ape-shitz over Trump's words in the Access Hollywood video but the ACTIONS of this creap should be ignored.

The latest is that prosecuters are investigating possible rape charges against this sick perv.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

9 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Yep...nothing to see here. The Democrat Party and the mainstream media went ape-shitz over Trump's words in the Access Hollywood video but the ACTIONS of this creap should be ignored.

The latest is that prosecuters are investigating possible rape charges against this sick perv.

Obviously a real sleaze ball. He should come to Thailand ?. I'll bet he could get an Elite card!

I don't really go along with all this sobbing starlets stuff. They got the parts didn't they? You expect me to believe they didn't know about the casting couch before hand. Fine line between directors privileges and unconsensual fiddling about!

54 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I don't really go along with all this sobbing starlets stuff. They got the parts didn't they? You expect me to believe they didn't know about the casting couch before hand. Fine line between directors privileges and unconsensual fiddling about!

People should have called him out long time ago, I also don't agree with the sob stories. Some actors didn't have dignity and became a slut to get a role. Not that I am downplaying this sexual predators action. 

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Who says the actions of this creep should be ignored? more and more politicians are coming out to condemn this sexual predator.

Trump is president, he needs to be held to a even higher standard compare to a businessmen. The fact that many of his fellow politicians and news anchors keep on insisting Trumps locker room talk and lies are acceptable is simply mind blowing. No legitimate president will have sexual harassment cases, and thousands of lawsuits against them. Perhaps if there are handful of cases, it would be understandable as there are always those gold diggers and opportunists.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:20 AM, OMGImInPattaya said:

Major Democrat Party donor, self-described "feminist," Woman's March participant (did he wear a pink pussy hat?), Hillary supporter, Trump hater, ...oh the irony...LOL

Whereas the conduct of the rapists and lowlifes at Fox news completely aligns with the practices of the current President. So, whatever else that foul den of molesters might be called, hypocritical isn't one of them.