Bad Experience With Uber

pj123

On 10/11/2017 at 3:29 PM, Just Weird said:

You suspect that they don't have insurance?  What do you base that on given that the majority of taxis are owned by huge co-operatives for whom not having insurance wouldn't make sense?  Your experience is that they aren't insured?   How does "your experience" show you that?

When I use a taxi I don't check, obviously, how could I?   The same goes for you, how could you check?  But you can guarantee that not one Uber is insured to carry fare paying passengers, they can't be, they are not a registered service. 

I'd put money on it that very few modern taxis are not insured, why would a driver rent an uninsured vehicle when he'd have to pay for any damage himself?  When it comes to the privately-owned, old beaten up taxis that, due to their age clearly shouldn't be on the road as taxis, it may be different but, then, I don't go anywhere near old taxis, there's thousands of brand new ones on Bangkok 's roads to choose from. 

I have have been involved in an accident with a Taxi - the Taxi was not insured. 

I have a friend who's family own a Taxi company in Bangkok - they don't insure their vehicles beyond Por-ro-bor because its too expensive. They've worked out that its more cost effective to pay for repairs of accidents etc themselves. 

UBER have their own 'world wide' policy which allegedly covers passengers involved in an accident in an UBER vehicle, although when it comes to the crunch I wouldn't like to rely on this. 

So, I have my own insurance - this way my medical bills are covered fully if I am in an UBER / Grab / on the back of a Taxi or in my own car. Also note, if someone else is a passenger in my car their medical bills are covered up to 200,000 baht each (with first class insurance). 

Thus, this insurance issue is somewhat of a distraction from the real topic at hand. Its a moot point because the insurance even when fully covered is fairly negligible. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have have been involved in an accident with a Taxi - the Taxi was not insured. 

I have a friend who's family own a Taxi company in Bangkok - they don't insure their vehicles beyond Por-ro-bor because its too expensive. They've worked out that its more cost effective to pay for repairs of accidents etc themselves. 

UBER have their own 'world wide' policy which allegedly covers passengers involved in an accident in an UBER vehicle, although when it comes to the crunch I wouldn't like to rely on this. 

So, I have my own insurance - this way my medical bills are covered fully if I am in an UBER / Grab / on the back of a Taxi or in my own car. Also note, if someone else is a passenger in my car their medical bills are covered up to 200,000 baht each (with first class insurance). 

Thus, this insurance issue is somewhat of a distraction from the real topic at hand. Its a moot point because the insurance even when fully covered is fairly negligible. 

On 10/11/2017 at 3:29 PM, Just Weird said:

You suspect that they don't have insurance?  What do you base that on given that the majority of taxis are owned by huge co-operatives for whom not having insurance wouldn't make sense?  Your experience is that they aren't insured?   How does "your experience" show you that?

First, if you quote me, please do not alter the content of my comments in any way that could alter the tone or meaning, as you did, forum rules do not allow it for obvious reasons.

Your incident with one taxi driver was just that, one incident, it wasn't representative of the rest.

So your friend's company does have it's vehicles insured, then?  That's exactly what I said most taxi drivers and co-operatives do, insure their vehicles.

Uber may have a policy that covers legally operating drivers anywhere in the world, I don't know, but I doubt it, but that policy will not cover drivers where they are an unregistered service operating illegally, like Uber drivers do here in Thailand.

First, if you quote me, please do not alter the content of my comments in any way that could alter the tone or meaning, as you did, forum rules do not allow it for obvious reasons.

Your incident with one taxi driver was just that, one incident, it wasn't representative of the rest.

So your friend's company does have it's vehicles insured, then?  That's exactly what I said most taxi drivers and co-operatives do, insure their vehicles.

Uber may have a policy that covers legally operating drivers anywhere in the world, I don't know, but I doubt it, but that policy will not cover drivers where they are an unregistered service operating illegally, like Uber drivers do here in Thailand.

So much for someone who is bored! I guess we could all be bored with your lies

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, shanesox said:

So much for someone who is bored! I guess we could all be bored with your lies

That comment wasn't addressed to you.  When I commented that I was bored, it was obvious, maybe not to you, that I was bored with your responses, no one else's.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:34 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Its incredible isn't it ???... A service which works seamlessly in other countries can at times become corrupted by the lazy and entitled mindset of a few. It is a shame that we have to jump through these extra hoops and 'negotiate' for a standard service !!!...  That said, UBER & GrabCar are still far more reliable, safe and polite than regular taxi's... 

To be honest, the only frequent issue I have is a driver accepting the fare who is too far away. the App will suggest they are 7mins away, but knowing Bangkok they are closer to 30 mins away stuck in traffic. 

I've used UBER all over and only ever encountered one issue outside of Thailand in London with a  Nigerian driver who got clearly upset after thinking he was taking me to Gatwick Airport only to discover I'd written Gatwick Express and not Gatwick Airport !!!

I don't think uber works seamlessly in other countries. Maybe some markets are better than others but regardless of this the uber company are losing $ billions every year. They will have to put prices up and then from what I can tell they will lose a lot of customers anyway.

In Bangkok I can't see the point in using an app when there are so many taxis. Yes the taxis can be challenging at times but by the looks of it uber is no different.  

Just depends on what your tolerance for bad driving and weirdness is.  My experience has been that using Uber definitely increases the odds of a relatively normal experience but I can see where others have a higher tolerance for craziness than I do.  

I just tried Uber during a day trip to Penang. Worked very well from and back to the airport. Taxi from the airport would have been 34 MYR, Uber was 11. Journey back was 15 (during rush hour). And no need to negotiate or use cash.  

28 minutes ago, strewth mick said:

I don't think uber works seamlessly in other countries. Maybe some markets are better than others but regardless of this the uber company are losing $ billions every year. They will have to put prices up and then from what I can tell they will lose a lot of customers anyway.

In Bangkok I can't see the point in using an app when there are so many taxis. Yes the taxis can be challenging at times but by the looks of it uber is no different.  

I agree with you....  UBER will have to increase their prices.....  Yesterday I took 3 UBERx cars under a promotion... I paid a total of 58 baht for the 3 journeys... UBER simply cannot sustain this.

That said, I had to cancel one UBER after he called up and rudely asked me to walk 5 mins to his location so it was easier for him - UBER's response to my complaint was adequate. 

Its still better than the taxi I took other night, after driving into the opposing lane I had to threaten to get out if he wouldn't put down his phone on which he was watching a movie. When we stopped I tried to get out but found I was locked in !!!... after I persisted he got the message and put the phone down. 

UBER is not perfect - but it repeatedly proves that it is still so much less irritating than taking a regular taxi.

I agree with you....  UBER will have to increase their prices.....  Yesterday I took 3 UBERx cars under a promotion... I paid a total of 58 baht for the 3 journeys... UBER simply cannot sustain this.

Not sure how you got 3 rides for 58 baht! Uber standard prices are now more expensive than a metered taxi!

12 minutes ago, shanesox said:

Not sure how you got 3 rides for 58 baht! Uber standard prices are now more expensive than a metered taxi!

Promotion: 60 Baht off for up to 10 rides from 16th to 22nd October....  

But I'd agree - the standard UBER rides now seem to be more than regular taxi's... at an estimated (un-calcuated 1.5 to 1.8x the taxi rate).

Edited by richard_smith237