Bangkok Metropolitan Police to strictly enforce time ban on trucks

webfact

Metropolitan Police to strictly enforce time ban on trucks

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- All 88 police stations in Bangkok have been instructed by the Metropolitan Police commissioner to strictly enforce a time ban on trucks to prevent the traffic congestion from worsening.

Pol Maj Gen Jiraphat Phumijit, deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said the commissioner, Pol Lt Gen Charnthep Selavej, had ordered the 88 stations to strictly enforce the time ban.

He said if truckers continued to enter inner Bangkok during the banned hours, the bureau may be forced to consider banning trucks from certain routes.

Currently trucks with at least ten wheels are banned form inner Bangkok from 6-10am and 3-9pm. Six-wheel trucks are banned from inner Bangkok from 6-9am and 4-8 pm.

Violators will be subject to a fine of Bt1,000.

All trucks are also banned from using the aged Krung Thon Bridge, Jiraphat added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30328811

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-09

Given that a 10 wheel truck may be delivering tens of thousands of $$ dollars worth of goodies, I'd call a $30 fine a reasonable cost of doing business.  And if the shipper or recipient is connected, even that goes away with a phone call...

Trucks and deliveries is a problem in all major cities. Gosh at our restaurant the damn guys would show up at noon rush hour!  But those are small delivery local trucks.  The big 18 wheelers is a different thing. I believe New York City and many major USA cities have similar traffic rules.

I remember working in Calif, I was a backhoe operator and carried my machine on a trailer behind a dump truck. The city of Beverly Hills had the strictest truck laws, absolutely no trucks in city limits before 7:00am and I think 6:00pm. 

Once I was sent to a job one block from the city limits. The semi dump trucks cut their engines and coasted the block, and the locals called the cops at the sound of them setting the air brakes. $100 fine each truck. 

Next, I was sent to an emergency job on a Sunday night for AT&T, a cable tv crew bored through 2ea 800 pair telephone cables cutting telephone service to the most elite of BH residents. It took several days to repair the cables and I had to haul the spoils many miles away, I got stopped a couple of times. 

Ahh life in the big city!

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Oh oh

6 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Trucks and deliveries is a problem in all major cities.

The electric trams shuttling car parts and groceries around European cities

French and German cities using trams to move products show how to cut congestion while making a profit from the network

image.png.ce436712bdb2ced5f3efa6a70e5e45a4.png

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/21/electric-trams-cities-groceries-europe-edinburgh-dresden

5 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Trucks and deliveries is a problem in all major cities. Gosh at our restaurant the damn guys would show up at noon rush hour!  But those are small delivery local trucks.  The big 18 wheelers is a different thing. I believe New York City and many major USA cities have similar traffic rules.

I don't know about NYC but I know in Los Angeles and many surrounding cities/districts they tried legislating night deliveries & roadwork. It went over like a lead balloon, modified, exception permits made a mockery of the rules. Eventually I believe they were eliminated or just ignored. Ah, but drive a truck off an approved route would be costly, (unless making a delivery)

15 hours ago, impulse said:

Given that a 10 wheel truck may be delivering tens of thousands of $$ dollars worth of goodies, I'd call a $30 fine a reasonable cost of doing business.  And if the shipper or recipient is connected, even that goes away with a phone call...

That would make sense if $30 dollars was going to be the punishment..." He said if truckers continued to enter inner Bangkok during the banned hours, the bureau may be forced to consider banning trucks from certain routes."

Are they really going to strictly enforce anything? Rhetorical question.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why not? Trucks breaking those restrictions is a relatively new thing. It’s difficult to put a date to it because things have worsened gradually. Ten years ago when driving in from the provinces parked trucks lined the roads waiting to enter.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:
19 hours ago, impulse said:

That would make sense if $30 dollars was going to be the punishment..." He said if truckers continued to enter inner Bangkok during the banned hours, the bureau may be forced to consider banning trucks from certain routes."

If they do ban trucks from certain routes 24/7, what's the penalty if one of them violates the ban?  Probably 1000 baht...

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:
14 hours ago, impulse said:

If they do ban trucks from certain routes 24/7, what's the penalty if one of them violates the ban?  Probably 1000 baht...

Why 'probably', just because you pulled that figure out if the air?

Well, if the current fine for driving a truck on a road where it's not allowed is 1,000 baht, that's a pretty reasonable number to pull out of the air.

Or the OP.  I forget which.

On October 10, 2017 at 11:39 PM, Just Weird said:

Whether I believe it or not is irrelevant when it has been threatened.

Thai "threats" get thrown around like confetti, so you're being naive if you think any ban is going to be instigated, let alone enforced rigorously. Let history be your guide - I've witnessed numerous "threats" against trucks going back to the mid-90s. All died a quick death. I had a close window to many of them because my office was on the Bangna highway and I worked late at night, so the effects were right in front of me.

21 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Thai "threats" get thrown around like confetti, so you're being naive if you think any ban is going to be instigated, let alone enforced rigorously.

You're just speculating that the threat won't be carried out, perhaps you're the naive one.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You're just speculating that the threat won't be carried out, perhaps you're the naive one.

Then I'll speculate some more and suggest that you have had several previous IDs on TV in which you have played the superior snark. But if you were in any way knowledgeable about Thailand you'd know that anecdotal evidence and conclusions are often all that we have to go on. Thus, this threat, in my very extensive experience (30 years), will with 99% certainty go one of two ways: either not be enforced at all or, be enforced for only a short timespan. I suggest you stop playing the superior snark and listen to those with more understanding than yourself. You toddle off and have a nice day, now. And thanks for the opportunity to pass on my extensive experience to other newbies to Thailand. :)

39 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Then I'll speculate some more and suggest that you have had several previous IDs on TV in which you have played the superior snark. But if you were in any way knowledgeable about Thailand you'd know that anecdotal evidence and conclusions are often all that we have to go on. Thus, this threat, in my very extensive experience (30 years), will with 99% certainty go one of two ways: either not be enforced at all or, be enforced for only a short timespan. I suggest you stop playing the superior snark and listen to those with more understanding than yourself. You toddle off and have a nice day, now. And thanks for the opportunity to pass on my extensive experience to other newbies to Thailand. :)

Bit full of yourself, aren't you?  Passing on your extensive, unsolicited experience to other newbies to Thailand?  You're assuming that there is anyone who wants your experience?  I'm curious as to what makes you think that I'm a new to Thailand? 

It's very odd that you accuse someone on a public forum with a different point of view to yours of being a "superior snark", some would suggest that is a personal attack that a person with all your experience will know contravenes the forum rules but I just think that it may suggest something about you, so I'll let it go.

There is a reason that anecdotal evidence and (inaccurate) conclusions are not useful in this case...it has been announced as actually happening if trucks do not comply with regulations, it is not speculation. 

Of course, it may not happen, that's the reason the truck companies are being threatened, so that they will stop entering the city during banned hours.  But that won't be because it's been quietly dropped, it will be because the truckers are behaving themselves.