HRH The King's Full Name

MrPatrickThai

I was asked this when at the Special Branch police and they said I should know for my Citizenship interview.

วชิราลงกรณ บรมจักรยาดิศรสันตติวงศ เทเวศรธำรงสุบริบาล อภิคุณูประการมหิตลาดุลเดช ภูมิพลนเรศวรางกูร กิตติสิริสมบูรณ์สวางควัฒน์ บรมขัตติยราชกุมาร

Any easy way to remember? 

Yesterday I asked a friend and he said that he couldn't remember! Today this came from him.
สมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัวมหาวชิราลงกรณ บตนทรเทพยวรางกูร
The first part is familiar "somdate prajow you hua maha (title- king) Wa chi ra long gon. I think that I would stick to that until I had figuered out how to split up the other syllables and whether the spelling is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

In English, that should be "H.M." not "H.R.H." Just as in the U.K., where it's H.R.H. Princess Anne but H.M. Queen Elizabeth. That is, the sovereign of a country is His/Her Majesty, while other members of royalty are His/Her Royal Highness. Thailand follows this convention in English.

วชิราลงกรณ บรมจักรยาดิศรสันตติวงศ เทเวศรธำรงสุบริบาล อภิคุณูประการมหิตลาดุลเดช ภูมิพลนเรศวรางกูร กิตติสิริสมบูรณ์สวางควัฒน์ บรมขัตติยราชกุมาร

I believe that was his old name when he was crown prince

Maybe I have too much trust in Wikipedia?

https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/สมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัวมหาวชิราลงกรณ_บดินทรเทพยวรางกูร

But the Thai version shows this:

สมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัวมหาวชิราลงกรณ บดินทรเทพยวรางกูร

and the second part (บดินทรเทพยวรางกูร) is definitely important as has been given to him after becoming king.

For สมเด็จ (somdet) I am also sure that this is the highest title in Thailand.

As far as I know there is only the King, the Queen and Supreme Patriarch who carry this title.

I keep away from the transcription topic.

What I find in the English language newspapers and online newspapers is just too confusing and not helpful (for me).

In this video his title is heard starting at about 14 s.

(the moment before he steps on the podium)

And here after 5 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PevdqP_3234

and also at about 2:27 min incl. a syllable separated Thai script in the video.

And finally in Thai script and officially announced script in English:

title.jpg

Question, Since scholars have dictated that ว แหวน is pronounced 'vee' which I find difficult to do even when reading the English, if I were to pronounce ว as w when speaking English would it be considered an affectation?

Notice that David's link uses the Thai pronunciation.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect