Smoke on Thai beaches this high season and face jail or 100,000 baht fine

webfact

2 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Just wait until the first tourist is jailed for beach-smoking and they news goes all over the world. Great marketing!

They'll be plenty of non-smokers who will get a kick out of this. Most Western populations are becoming familiar with very strict anti-smoking laws in their own countries. This won't attract much attention other than attracting more non-smoking tourists.

But don't worry smokers - no one is going to be arrested. People still smoke in restaurants and bars all over Pattaya despite the no-smoking law which was introduced several years ago.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Pattaya28 said:

Impossible.

This calculates to 1 butt every 20 CM. :cheesy:

More nonsense plucked from a monkeys bottom.

Dig down and you'll find your butts. Most of them are below the surface.

14 minutes ago, khunpa said:
16 minutes ago, tropo said:

Should they give up on cigarette butts because there are other problems to consider? Cleaning up plastic bags is a lot easier than cleaning up cigarette butts, which become integrated with the sand. If you sent a person along a beach to clean up litter they won't be looking for cigarette butts. 

No, but why start with the smallest of all problems?

Road in Thailand are e.g. crazy dangerous and kills thousands of people every year. What is the fine for driving without a license? THB 200.

Edited 6 minutes ago by khunpa

How big THIS problem is depends on whether you're a person who likes to lay on clean beach sand or not. 

It's not going to make any difference though. People will continue to smoke on beaches.

(Driving without a valid license - 400)

Edited by tropo

"No new laws need to be made. The authorities will use ordinances passed in 2015 about damage to the environment. These allow for one year prison terms and 100,000 baht fines or both."

So the fields filled with plastic bags of rubbish will also disappear along with the beach butts?

4 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Smokers hair, clothes, breath stink. 

Smoking is a filthy habit.. 

LOL> and then you've got to clean up their butts. I've noticed that Thai people often throw burning stubs onto the roadway.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

No new laws need to be made. The authorities will use ordinances passed in 2015 about damage to the environment. These allow for one year prison terms and 100,000 baht fines or both.

That is the maximum fine for environmental damage. I believe the correct wording should be "...up to...". 
We will have to wait and see what the actual penalties are. Any volunteers? 
I quit smoking a number of years ago. :smile:

2 hours ago, charly58 said:

In jomtien they give you aschtray at the beach if you smoke!I think cigarette buds come from ships out fishing in the evening til morning

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not on the bit of Jomtien Beach I lay my towel on, the beach is full of discarded butts and you can't rake them away. I think they will struggle to enforce it but we live in hope.Here in the Netherlands the % of smokers is heading towards 20% it's certainly more in Thailand, the tourists are the main cause of butts on the beach. I am struggling with the concept of the fishing boats being the cause of the discarded butts on the beach.A smokers perspective I guess. 

1 minute ago, AGareth2 said:

the average smoking tourist won't have 100 thousand

stupid

LOL> it's the maximum fine. In reality, if they were fined it would only be a few thousand at the most. Maybe the 100K could be applied to someone who threw a burning but which landed on someone and severely burnt them, causing permanent scarring.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

LOL> it's the maximum fine. In reality, if they were fined it would only be a few thousand at the most. Maybe the 100K could be applied to someone who threw a burning but which landed on someone and severely burnt them, causing permanent scarring.

A shovel and a sieve, two hours sieving sand instead of a fine, clean beaches within a week sorted.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

No, no, no, that would result in a big wai, ThB500 and quite possibly a long weekend as a monk...

Tourists will love to see this law enforced and will be wondering how Thais give a shit on caretakeing of the envirement...yes the mostly leave all the stuff they bring to the beach behind of them and wow: walk to a bin is a no go for them.......

If you talk to them they shake their head and just think: what another stupid farang want to teach us something!!!!

Thats what i have experianced mostly since i am living here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Remus1830 said:

Just another reason for tourists to go to different destinations the stupidity of the so called law makers is getting out of control maybe in the future you will get 5 years for farting.

Especially if you set light to it....

?

"The strict penalties are in line with existing ordinances concerning causing damage to the environment. "

Meanwhile, the government continues to pump raw sewage into the sea. Got it.

And could they explain just where "the beach" begins? Could a person smoke a cig on the sidewalk next to the beach? Is rule only applied on the sand?

If you see a cop coming, just put your fag in a condom and drop that on the beach. No problems with condoms