Smoke on Thai beaches this high season and face jail or 100,000 baht fine

webfact

8 minutes ago, Pchan25 said:

Maybe I have to look for another birthday present - not going to Thailand that is -  for my mother (she smokes one cigarette after another, and I am not sure if she can live with such a regulation).

And btw. she does never throw away the stubs . She allway scollects them and throw them in a bin.

"she smokes one cigarette after another, and I am not sure if she can live with such a regulation"

You seem a little confused.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, wvavin said:

This needs a collective effort to stay away from the beach and we shall see what come next.

With all the sewage and  human excrement pumped onto the sand and sea, the garbage, soi dogs and their excrement who would go to the beach.

7 minutes ago, jippytum said:

No chairs to sit on , no umbrellas, no food ,no drink and now no smoking at the beach . The recent storms washed most of the sand away .My days of relaxing on a Thai beach are long gone .

Its only on 20 beaches, there are quite a lot of beaches in Thailand, enough that you can actually still find a beach with a chair, an umbrella, somewhere to eat and drink and of course somewhere you can smoke.

2 or 3 years ago(when I was a smoker) went to sit in a chair at Koh Larn beach, next to the chair was an ashtray with a few butts in it.As I sat down the chair seller took up the ashtray and emptied it by dropping everything on the beach next to the chair and kicked sand over it.He then gave me a clean ashtray.!!!!!

5 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Does this mean that banning cigarettes on beaches will remove these deadly substances from Thai chocolate, or is that an unrelated issue? :)

killing  2 moto cy peeps and dragging their bodies 300 meters underneath a truck  warrants a 5000 baht fine ......ehhhh i truly did not notice that the butts were that bad .........

6 minutes ago, Thechook said:

With all the sewage and  human excrement pumped onto the sand and sea, the garbage, soi dogs and their excrement who would go to the beach.

Not many beaches in LOS fit that category. Most of the island beaches do not.

However, before I go to any Thai beach in future, I'll be checking that they are not one of the ones in the 20.

No way I'll go anywhere I can get scammed with the threat of a year in a Thai jail.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Its only on 20 beaches, there are quite a lot of beaches in Thailand, enough that you can actually still find a beach with a chair, an umbrella, somewhere to eat and drink and of course somewhere you can smoke.

never understood why tourists don't stop in chumphon. we have great beaches. clean and pretty much empty but people generally just stop over to go to the islands. we get a few tourists, not many though

10 minutes ago, Thechook said:

clueless at best 

1 hour ago, tore stenberg said:

One thing is smoke !!!!

What does thailand do with garbage.
No thing, they throw garbage in the woods, they do not have a cargo deck, they burn the garbage in their own garden or empty it in the neighbor's garbage bin.
And the car that was going to drain rubbish three times a week comes once a week.
There is a market outside our house, when this is done, it is littered by this in the street outside, or someone puts it in our garbage bin, because the comuna has not put up g...arbage bags so they can put it there.
Has not Thailand signed the Paris agreement?
I saw the news that everyone should have a trash can, but it was difficult to get people to pay for garbage disposal. This should not be a problem if they put the garbage bill together with the bill of water as they do elsewhere in the world.

A lot of people here get their water supply from underground wells, so no bills for water, but for those that do have Government water, your suggestion makes sense. And also landlords, hoteliers, restaurant owners etc could incorporate a few baht into their bills/rents for the garbage removal.

Unfortunately, this is a country where sense and suggestion do not go hand in hand, because (a) usually the suggestion comes from a dumb farang, who as every good Thai knows - knows nothing, and (b) the amount collected by the landlords, hoteliers and restaurant owners would more often than not, end up in somebody's back pocket. I personally know of one restaurant where all the tips go into a box behind the bar, and one would assume, shared out amongst all the staff on a weekly/monthly basis. Wrong - the owner pockets it. and says he uses/needs it to pay their wages, in the same way as he needs the dubious "compulsory service charge", which in effect is what a "garbage fee" would become.  

"Smoking will be banned on 20 major Thai beaches from November. And smokers who flout the law will face a year's jail or a 100,000 baht fine....or both."

I imagine TAT will be handing-out leaflets at all immigration points so the tourists will know that smoking on the beach is prohibited, or is this just another scam to extract more money from foreigners!

5 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

never understood why tourists don't stop in chumphon. we have great beaches. clean and pretty much empty but people generally just stop over to go to the islands. we get a few tourists, not many though

And Prachuap, in fact practically the whole of the East coast South of Hua Hin is deserted but doesn't deserve to be, even large parts of the Andaman coast are, so much space in Thailand but everyone has heard of a handful of resorts and heads to them, plenty of room for development for all those who seem to think that Thailand's tourism industry can't continue to grow, it could he 100x bigger and still not fill the beaches.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

oh dear, how about a general clamp down on all types of littering, if I smoke anywhere I use an ashtray or a bin and that includes on a beach, if I have litter it goes in a bin, I am all for cleaning up and stopping people littering but stopping people smoking on a beach adds absolutely nothing to this, how many April 1st's are there in Thailand, they seem to have one every week.

This is stupidity beyond belief

So you think it´s a April 1 joke?

I only can say try and find out.....

So many rules in Thailand even those there want to keep and follow the laws. Sometime i have to think Thailand not want to have foreigner stay in the country. Them there want to stay have to pay lot of money for hospital and much other things. Next step will be rise of cost for visa to Thailand i think.:WPFflags:

1 minute ago, beowolf2012 said:

So you think it´s a April 1 joke?

I only can say try and find out.....

So many rules in Thailand even those there want to keep and follow the laws. Sometime i have to think Thailand not want to have foreigner stay in the country. Them there want to stay have to pay lot of money for hospital and much other things. Next step will be rise of cost for visa to Thailand i think.:WPFflags:

Just after they extend the free visa exemption from 15 to 30 days and to another 21 more countries you think they are going to start charging for it, try again.

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

And Prachuap, in fact practically the whole of the East coast South of Hua Hin is deserted but doesn't deserve to be, even large parts of the Andaman coast are, so much space in Thailand but everyone has heard of a handful of resorts and heads to them, plenty of room for development for all those who seem to think that Thailand's tourism industry can't continue to grow, it could he 100x bigger and still not fill the beaches.

You are right, there is plenty of room for this aspect of the tourist industry to grow.

But so often people choose their holiday destination on perceptions - and this is just another negative, to add to many others, which d not create a good perception.

I all for cleaning up the Beach and any scumbag who throws there cigarette butts on the beach should be fined. But it should be all rubbish and I don't know about 100000THB.Glad I don't smoke anymore. This clearly is a money making scam. And it's quite pathetic some of Thai beaches are filth and banning smoking ant going to help much. 

15 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

"Smoking will be banned on 20 major Thai beaches from November. And smokers who flout the law will face a year's jail or a 100,000 baht fine....or both."

I imagine TAT will be handing-out leaflets at all immigration points so the tourists will know that smoking on the beach is prohibited, or is this just another scam to extract more money from foreigners!

The latter, IMO.

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Of course as people mentioned before all littering should be addressed at all places, not just cigarettes at the beach (and of course the government / shops etc. should be responsible to put enough trash cans), but that's at least a start. And besides of the littering aspect i also don't want to smell the smoke of the cigarettes, so i welcome this step

Not sure what to say to you as I may be banned for my real comment  "feeling like a vomit or two after reading your comments" May Santa Claus and the tooth Fairy bless you.. LMFAO

Mr and Mrs Tourist an easy target so money in the bank, but Mr and Mrs Tourist will no longer becoming as no food and drinks or umbrella's on certain days and now smokes and vapor . No wonder Britians tourism is up to 40 Million in 2017, only idiots do local these days.

Lets Get Real here. Its just an excuse to tax /Fine Falangs like feeding fish. What tourist could know such rubbish Thai police mafia will have a field day with this law. Noticing it is all aimed at Tourist destinations. Oh no !Thais do not smoke only tourists LMFAO . Meanwhile keep pumping the plastic bags and raw sewerage into the sea Thailand. Planet Mars!

"Smoking will be banned in November as the tourist high season gets rolling in many high profile locations - these include all beaches in Pattaya, Jomtien, Phuket, Cha-Am, Hua Hin and Bang Saen. Others mentioned in the story were in Pangnga and Samila in Songkhla, Mae Phim and Laem Singh!.

Archived