Visa help- British father with 2 Thai kids

I would like to know if it is possble to get a long term visa so that I can stay in Thailand with my two Thai kids. I am British and I the registered father of both kids.

I am married to a Thai as well, but I don't want to show the monies if possible. I have read about the O visa and I wonder if that is applicable or is that just for marriage. Can I convert a single/multi entry O visa at CM immigration so that it lasts for a year? and then renew if within Thailand for the forseeable future based on being the father of two Thai kids.

My aim is to be with my kids for many years as I have been working overseas. and the time has come for me to live with my family.

I have read so much about Savannakhet being the easiest place to obtain visas. Is this correct? I am based in CM.

I hope someone can help me with some advice. Thanks in advance.

It is possible to get a multiple entry Non Imm O visa on the basis of marriage, without financial proof, in Savannakhet or Ho Chi Minh City. This will require you to make border runs every 90 days, but may be your best option.

A multiple entry Non O based on Thai children would be possible in selected locations, but would almost certainly require showing financial proof.

An extension of stay (no need for 90-day border hops) whether on the basis of marriage or Thai children would definitely require financial proof.

3 hours ago, Daz1966 said:

I am married to a Thai as well, but I don't want to show the monies if possible. I have read about the O visa and I wonder if that is applicable or is that just for marriage.

I have read so much about Savannakhet being the easiest place to obtain visas. Is this correct?

• You can get Single Entry visas based on marriage or being a parent, without any financials, from Vientiane or Savannakhet.
  • You can only get a Multiple Entry visa from Savannakhet based on marriage. No financials needed.

Can I convert a single/multi entry O visa at CM immigration so that it lasts for a year?

At the end of any 90 day entry from a single or multiple entry visa you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage or being a parent. You need to show 40K pm income (certified by your embassy) or 400K in the bank. If applying as a parent the 400K only needs to be in your account on the day you apply. 

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is possible to get a multiple entry Non Imm O visa on the basis of marriage, without financial proof, in Savannakhet or Ho Chi Minh City. This will require you to make border runs every 90 days

How sure are you this is correct?  I was originally using this exact visa obtained in UK honorary consulate and i needed to show 3 months bank statements with minimum amounts. This year they said that the 1 year multiple entry version of this visa is no longer available, only the 90 day and would then need to convert to something else in Thailand.

I ask because this would be a good option for me also, especially if no financials are needed. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Jimmyjames120 said:

How sure are you this is correct?  I was originally using this exact visa obtained in UK honorary consulate and i needed to show 3 months bank statements with minimum amounts. This year they said that the 1 year multiple entry version of this visa is no longer available, only the 90 day and would then need to convert to something else in Thailand.

The UK honorary consulates are no longer empowered to issue any multiple entry visas. If you want to get a multiple entry visa in the UK, you must now go through the London embassy (or the official consulate in Glasgow). Now, if you want to use the honorary consulates, they can only issue a single entry visa (useful if you intend applying for an extension of your permission to stay when inside Thailand which requires financial proof).

There are many threads on this board confirming the availability of a multiple entry Non O visa on the basis of marriage in Savannakhet. Reports elsewhere on the Internet say say HCMC will issue on the same basis. I believe the same would be true in London.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmyjames120 said:

I ask because this would be a good option for me also, especially if no financials are needed. Thanks.

The honorary consulates cannot issue a multiple entry non-o visa now. The embassy in London still issues them with no financial proof being needed.

The consulate in Savannakhet does issue them without financial proof being needed. A few reports of the consulate in Ho Chi Minh City issuing them as well.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The honorary consulates cannot issue a multiple entry non-o visa now. The embassy in London still issues them with no financial proof being needed.

The consulate in Savannakhet does issue them without financial proof being needed. A few reports of the consulate in Ho Chi Minh City issuing them as well.

Slightly off topic but the OP is also British with Thai children like me so could be beneficial,  my children currently have dual passports, about 2 years ago thai immigration told  me that when they reach age 18 they will need to choose one, not possible for dual citizenship   Giving up a British passport is difficult I think but if they are living in Thailand then life on a British passport would not be easy....

Do you know if this is true?

3 minutes ago, Jimmyjames120 said:

Slightly off topic but the OP is also British with Thai children like me so could be beneficial,  my children currently have dual passports, about 2 years ago thai immigration told  me that when they reach age 18 they will need to choose one, not possible for dual citizenship   Giving up a British passport is difficult I think but if they are living in Thailand then life on a British passport would not be easy....

Do you know if this is true?

This was true until about 25 years ago, with the choice needing to be made at age 20. Dual nationality is now no problem.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

UJ...do you need to be divorced from your wife to apply for a dependancy visa for your kids or can you change from a marriage extension to a dependancy for your kids whilst still married...whilst waiting for divorce coming soon ?

19 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • You can get Single Entry visas based on marriage or being a parent, without any financials, from Vientiane or Savannakhet.
  • You can only get a Multiple Entry visa from Savannakhet based on marriage. No financials needed.

At the end of any 90 day entry from a single or multiple entry visa you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage or being a parent. You need to show 40K pm income (certified by your embassy) or 400K in the bank. If applying as a parent the 400K only needs to be in your account on the day you apply. 

Not true. It needs to have been in the account for 2 months prior to application. It needs the support of the mother and child or children. 

Quite a lot of paperwork needed. Look on the Immigration website for details.

2 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Not true. It needs to have been in the account for 2 months prior to application. It needs the support of the mother and child or children. 

Quite a lot of paperwork needed. Look on the Immigration website for details.

I have had two extensions of stay issued as a parent, with my wife present and without the funds in my account for two months, at two different offices.

If you look on the immigration website, or anywhere else, there is no mention that the parent must be single.

An office is within it's power to issue a married parent an extension without the need for the 400K to be in an account for two months.

11 hours ago, nongsangcity said:

UJ...do you need to be divorced from your wife to apply for a dependancy visa for your kids or can you change from a marriage extension to a dependancy for your kids whilst still married...whilst waiting for divorce coming soon ?

There is no dependency visa. It is either a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon being married to or being the parent of a Thai.

If you were already on an extension of stay based upon marriage you would not be able to  change the reason of being a parent until until you got divorced. After getting divorced you would show the divorce decree to have you current to extension so you could apply for a new one.

If you had a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage it would remain valid until it expires if you got divorced.

On 10/13/2017 at 9:59 PM, elviajero said:

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses.

Just to clarify. If I get a single entry O visa from Savannakhet for being a parent of two Thai nationals, I can apply for a year extension in CM at the end of that initial visa. Is there a cut off date in which I must apply?

After, if successful in securing an extension and that finishes, could I then apply in Thailand for another yearly extension continuously? or do I have to leave the country and start the O visa process again?

Sorry to ask, but getting visa's for Thailand is a minefield for me and I want to make the best choice for my kids.

Thanks in advance for any further support.

57 minutes ago, Daz1966 said:

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses.

Just to clarify. If I get a single entry O visa from Savannakhet for being a parent of two Thai nationals, I can apply for a year extension in CM at the end of that initial visa. Is there a cut off date in which I must apply?

After, if successful in securing an extension and that finishes, could I then apply in Thailand for another yearly extension continuously? or do I have to leave the country and start the O visa process again?

Sorry to ask, but getting visa's for Thailand is a minefield for me and I want to make the best choice for my kids.

Thanks in advance for any further support.

Why, if you are married, do you want to apply for everything as a parent?

It doesn't matter whether you apply for the visa as a parent or spouse because you end up with the same visa. When you enter with a single entry non 'O' visa you'll get permission to stay for 90 days. During the last 30 days you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay for any qualifying reason.

If you're married it's usual to apply as a spouse. The only benefit of applying for a 1 year extension as a married parent is to avoid having to keep 400K in the bank for 2 months. If you apply for the extension as a married parent your wife will need to be with you.

You can get a new 1 year permit to stay without leaving the country.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no dependency visa. It is either a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon being married to or being the parent of a Thai.

If you were already on an extension of stay based upon marriage you would not be able to  change the reason of being a parent until until you got divorced. After getting divorced you would show the divorce decree to have you current to extension so you could apply for a new one.

If you had a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage it would remain valid until it expires if you got divorced.

Thanks UJ.....I will pass on this info to my friend...