Foreign Ministry Cancels Thaksin's Diplomatic Passport

george

Strange

The ministry said

"Taking into consideration the appropriateness and security concern, the diplomatic passports of Thaksin and wife have been revoked since December 31, 2006," Kiatthikhun said.

So they had already revoked his passport but didnt care to admit it till 10 days later

And the bombs went off at the same time? curiouser and curiouser

I wonder if his uk visa was stamped in his dip passport

If he has now lost that passport, he should have to apply for a new visa (exactly the way the treat us over here if you happen to have your passport stolen - ie you are back to square 1 on a 30 day voa even if you have been here years on a legitimate long term visa - its a bummer, dont ever lose your passport, they dont care)

Well dont get too excited there are different rules if you have more than £5 mill invested and are clearly a high net worth crim

Thing is he wont find it very comfortable over there in UK, who would want to be seen with him? He would be out of the dip circles straightaway. Just an ordinary Khung Pingpong

Oh and btw not wishing to hijack the thread BUT generally as a citizen you are not entitled to a passport - not a british one anyway - its issued at the discretion of the gov and can be withdrawn at any time, you must then return home under special travel papers. Also for you brits, if you have resided out of the country for more than 20 years, you passport renewal in thailand say, may be downlgraded to a second class British subject, british commonwealth subject or worse - ther are 6 different categories - with no automatic right of abode back in UK - happened to a mate of mine

You cannot have your British citizenship status downgraded as a result of having lived abroad. British passports with no right of abode are nowadays issued to people from colonies like St Helena and the Falklands or former colonies like Hong Kong. Most are held by Hong Kong people. The downgrades happened decades ago when British colonial citizens lost the automatic right of abode in the UK.

You cannot have your British citizenship status downgraded

unquote

yes but you can have your right of abode revoked - please do your homework or read what I said more carefully

this happened to a born and bred cockney brit living in Nigeria for 30 years. They got fed up with him because he "lost" his passport for a second time in a year (genuinely stolen btw) and i saw what they gave him as a replacement. It looked identlical except for the small print British commonwealth subject

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin can't travel on some British Virgin passport, it would be inappropriate for a former head of state. He might even get strip searched if US immigration smells something fishy. Do they even recognize these 100k passports after 9-11?

Travelling on a Thai passport is a nightmare, applying for EU/US visas while being in a third country is nearly impossible, and if he tries to pull the rank every visa clerk will have to consult with his superiors, who in turn would be afraid to cause some diplomatic incindent.

No more hassle free jetting around the world.

Passports from countries like Belize that sell them to wealthy individuals are valid travel documents. The problem is that developed countries usually require visas from nationals of these countries. Definitely worth having has a back up in case his normal Thai passport gets revokes but no guarantee of hassle free travel. Being a citizen of a banana republic without extradition treaty with Thailand could provide a useful bolt hole.

i thought he was in china now?

ANyway, he'd now need visa to enter the UK.

And he'd have to prove he has funds (which he has stashed away illegaly), and that he has "ample reason" to return to thailand!!!

I wonder if he'll write a "sick buffalo" letter to Tony B.?

That post was hilarious............best post I have read in months!!!!!

Passports from countries like Belize that sell them to wealthy individuals are valid travel documents. The problem is that developed countries usually require visas from nationals of these countries. Definitely worth having has a back up in case his normal Thai passport gets revokes but no guarantee of hassle free travel. Being a citizen of a banana republic without extradition treaty with Thailand could provide a useful bolt hole.

On 21 May, 2002 the British Overseas Territories Act came into force and all existing British Overseas Territories Citizens (BOTC) (with the exception of those deriving their citizenship from a connection with the Sovereign Base Areas of Cyprus) automatically became British Citizens. They are not, therefore, subject to UK immigration control. This does not apply to those who acquired BOTC status by registration or naturalisation after 21 May 2002.

BVI where he has some companies exist befor 2002 so he has probleley a British pasport.

Dragon.

Edited by Phuket Dragon

"Foreign Ministry Cancels Thaksin's Diplomatic Passport"

It also shows that the people at the top are still scared...they could have done that on Sept. 19 - 2006.

And, Mr. T for sure didn't sit still after that date and must have taken steps (to have a second, third or fourth passport, if he didn't have those a long time) already.

But, the story continues, also here:

Thai coup leaders target Thaksin

BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6247273.stm

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I thought Blize cancelled this program a couple of years ago.

It also shows that the people at the top are still scared

Maybe they were not scared in September, but as Thaksin refused to play by the rules, they decided to tighten the screws.

I like the reason - engaging in political activities. He can't plan to overthrow the government and carry its diplomatic passport at the same time.

Edited by Plus

What's the point of revocing Thaksin's diplomatic passport. He still has enough money to easily get a visa anywhere else. hel_l, he could even reasonably claim poltical asylum after the other decision of the government, not allowing the media to print statements of his lawyer.

I see this just as a sign of desperation by our present government to resort to such infantile populist measures in order to obfuscate that since their coup they have managed nothing else than creating confusion under investors and further division in Thai society.

But keep on gloating, boys, if that satisfies you... :o

Whether you like Thaksin or not with his truly massive wealth he will have no problem travelling or obtaining visas. And that is if he doesnt already have a passport issued by a western country. It may surprise people to know just how many Thais who studied in the US for example seem to have a US passport as well as their Thai one. He wont be lining up for visa extensions or making border runs. He is very rich and will just travel the world but base himself in I guess either the UK or China, and he will probably have or make investments in said countries making himself more welcomed. he could even buy a British football club!

Personally I am no fan of Thaksin but to think he will face the inconveniences that a normal person would in travelling is just plain fantasy. The removal of the diplomatic passport serves to belittle him among the Thai people. It also makes it somewhat easier for Thai embassy staff who have to deal with him or his presence. The biggest inconvenience for Mr. Thaksin may be the loss of the diplomatic VIP status and what comes with it. However, travelling first class or by private jet isnt so bad.

It seems that Mr. Thaksin has a case to answer in the Courts of Thailand regarding his tenure as Prime Minister and his numerous activities in business.

However, I believe it is inappropriate at this time to call him to account as there is a military government and there is no popular mandate from the public for this current state of affairs. Until a new constitution and a free and fairly elected democratic government is in place, it would be a wise move to leave Thaksin well alone; and at the same time maintain a careful watch on any political ambitions he may still have.

Thai people respect and love the man for whom we wear yellow. He has approved all of this by the way.

Some good news for a change.

I admired the guy actually :o

He helped the poor, introduced free (allmost) health care, housing projects for the poor, mega infrastructure projects (long over due).

Let me narrow it down for you.

I love my neighbour. Gave him a bowl of rice while I stole from him, overcharged for the construction projects around his house, had his drug dealer of a brother in law killed.

Do you admire me?

Does Thaksin not have property in UK and a daughter at university, which would surely help with a visa? And might he not already have a British and/or US passport anyway (he studied and I think worked there for some years), rather than passports from other tax havens?

When his daughter is married with a man from an EU member state let say the Netherlands and living both in the UK then his dauther has community EU rights and get a residence card for 5 years , aswell familiy members ( mr Taksin ) can get a residence card for 5 years.

With this residence card you can travel thrue all EU member states.

Dragon

Edited by Phuket Dragon

Update:

Thailand revokes diplomatic passports of Thaksin, wife

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has revoked the diplomatic passports of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife, according to a statement issued on Wednesday by the kingdom's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Under a headline stating "Foreign Ministry has revoked Diplomatic Passports of Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife," the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Wednesday evening issued the following statement:

"Taking into account of the appropriateness and changed circumstances relating to national security considerations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has revoked the Diplomatic Passport of both Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin Shinawatra and Khunying Potjamarn Shinawatra pursuant to the Regulation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Passport Issuance of 2005. The Ministry has, yesterday (January 9, 2007), instructed both the Royal Thai Consulate General in Hong Kong and the Royal Thai Embassy in London to inform the parties of the Ministry's instruction."

"Notwithstanding," according to the Foreign Ministry announcement, "both Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin and Khunying Potjamarn, are still able to travel with their ordinary passports."

Thaksin was attending the United Nations General Assembly in New York when Thai military leaders staged a bloodless coup d'etat on September 19.

Currently in Hong Kong, the ex-prime minister has been living in London, Bali and Beijing.

The military-installed government of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont suggested that Thaksin or his close aides were to blame for the eight coordinated New Year's Eve bombings which left three persons dead and 43 injured, including nine foreigners.

Mr. Thaksin has denied any connection to the attacks.

--TNA 2007-01-10

It seems that Mr. Thaksin has a case to answer in the Courts of Thailand regarding his tenure as Prime Minister and his numerous activities in business.

However, I believe it is inappropriate at this time to call him to account as there is a military government and there is no popular mandate from the public for this current state of affairs. Until a new constitution and a free and fairly elected democratic government is in place, it would be a wise move to leave Thaksin well alone; and at the same time maintain a careful watch on any political ambitions he may still have.

Thai people respect and love the man for whom we wear yellow. He has approved all of this by the way.

Some good news for a change.

I admired the guy actually :D

He helped the poor, introduced free (allmost) health care, housing projects for the poor, mega infrastructure projects (long over due).

Let me narrow it down for you.

I love my neighbour. Gave him a bowl of rice while I stole from him, overcharged for the construction projects around his house, had his drug dealer of a brother in law killed.

Do you admire me?

Add to neighbour, neighbours sister, neighbours brother, neighbours father, neighbours mother, neighbours sister- in- law, neighbours brother-in-law. Not only did you steal but you shafted each and every one of them :o

He could apply for political asylum, claiming having been democratically elected and ousted as resuolt of a military coup.

for the zillionith 'n 1 time

He Resigned................................................... :o

Hahaha, yes, you're totally right, he resigned because he loved Thailand and he thought it was the "best" for the country, I don't see a reason for him to comeback unless he wasn't sincere... :D

He could apply for political asylum, claiming having been democratically elected and ousted as resuolt of a military coup.

for the zillionith 'n 1 time

He Resigned................................................... :o

Hahaha, yes, you're totally right, he resigned because he loved Thailand and he thought it was the "best" for the country, I don't see a reason for him to comeback unless he wasn't sincere... :D

:D:D:D

Ive just fallen off my chair :bah:

about bleedin' time. Now how about freezing his assets. It's a foregone conclusion that he and his family will get fined (multiple times) in the future, and you can bet dollars to donuts that when the final verdict comes down, money will be withheld by Thaksin and his family in every way possible. They still have a lot of cards to play. It's like a rabbits and a water buffalo. The slow-moving appointed gov't can be expected to continue to move ploddingly ahead, while Thaksin and corhorts zip around willy nilly.

hel_l, he could even reasonably claim poltical asylum after the other decision of the government, not allowing the media to print statements of his lawyer.

Does it also apply to the print media? The article I read said that it only applied to government owned TV and radio stations. Not that that is a good thing, obviously.

The generals are not vindictive, they just want him out of political picture, and maybe some money back for the state, not his total ruin. Their problem is that he refuses to go away.

By now it's obvious that there's no way back. He won't be accepted by millions of Thais, not counting the elite and the army, no matter what the result of investigations would be.

Wow! So many Taksin haters. I guess the present government is much better with their 90 day stay and the foreign investors "friendly" laws. :o

Good luck.

The new visa rules (I guess that's what you mean by 90 day stay) were initiated under the previous government.

So where does he now stand re staying in the UK, (where I understand he is now 'based')?

Think he will need to visit a UK Embassy overseas and try to get a Visitors Visa! Since he may well find it difficult to provide a good reason to return to Thailand, this should clearly be refused.....

Simon

War on Terror.

He will be welcomed by almost all non muslim countries.

Fascinatingly-Nothing new under the sun. See this article from TIME magazine for 1957.........http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,891356-1,00.html

Those who forget the lessons of the past are condemned to repeat them.........

We are in for an interesting year folks.

Will the last person to leave please turn of the lights?

His dosh is his passport, so being non-red won't have be an issue with any country. :D
To get a passport from another country (other than banana republics)he will need to be a citizen of that country It is a law of Thailand that you can not have dual citizenship If the Thai Government finds out that you do have dual citizenship they can confiscate all of your assets

:o