AIS Fibre - Connection Stability Issues

Norcan

Have had AIS Fibre installed for almost 5 months now and 90% of the time it rattles along at 55Mbps, no problem.  Internet TV via the Android Box works perfectly.

Then at any time of the day (not just the traditionally 'busy' periods of the evenings) it will drop to 2Mbps.  This can last for 15 minutes, or 3 hours, no consistency to it.  It renders the internet TV unwatchable.

Doesn't seem to matter that I turn off all the other 3 devices that are using WiFi, the speed remains around 2Mbps even then.

My question is:  has anybody else noticed this and if so has anyone managed to find a stability solution?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just curious, why would that be a cause of the OP's problem? And why would turning off IPv6 make any difference?

well, my iptv system was struggling badly, I did a ip address check on the android box, I noticed that the public ip was a ip6 one.

a quick google search tells us that AIS have made a pigs ear of their ip6 config, causing routing issues,

I disabled it, now watching sky sports cricket in FHD

1 hour ago, JaiMaai said:

Which router model? I've had a quick look at the menus on my HG8245 but I can't seem to see an option to disable ipv6. If you have the same router, any pointers?

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

I will check when I get home , i am at work now.

it was ipv6 switch setting, once disabled and android box restarted all issues went.

Thanks guys for this info.

My IPTV service provider mentioned to disable IPv6, which I 'thought' I'd managed to do via the AIS admin section after I'd logged into it on my computer.  Found the "Disable IPv6" button quite quickly, pressed it, and nothing happened.  It didn't 'disable'.

I've since read that any changes in this manner need to be done while you hook your computer up to the router directly via a LAN cable.  I don't think you can disable IPv6, or make any changes, if you are connected wirelessly from your computer to your router, but I might be wrong about that.

My router is the HG180 v2 model.  I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers and thanks once again.

1 hour ago, Norcan said:

Thanks guys for this info.

My IPTV service provider mentioned to disable IPv6, which I 'thought' I'd managed to do via the AIS admin section after I'd logged into it on my computer.  Found the "Disable IPv6" button quite quickly, pressed it, and nothing happened.  It didn't 'disable'.

I've since read that any changes in this manner need to be done while you hook your computer up to the router directly via a LAN cable.  I don't think you can disable IPv6, or make any changes, if you are connected wirelessly from your computer to your router, but I might be wrong about that.

My router is the HG180 v2 model.  I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers and thanks once again.

you can on the HG180

it called IPV6 switch, once disabled reboot both router and android box

Thanks for  the screenshot.

This is my admin page.  Totally different to yours.  No simple "IPv6 Switch" on/off function.

Any idea how I can login differently to achieve the same page you've got?

Thanks in advance...

59e74945884fe_Screenshot(2).png.f6637a9cb831ffd9a4d7a79fe127a58b.png

14 hours ago, Norcan said:

Thanks for  the screenshot.

This is my admin page.  Totally different to yours.  No simple "IPv6 Switch" on/off function.

Any idea how I can login differently to achieve the same page you've got?

Thanks in advance...

59e74945884fe_Screenshot(2).png.f6637a9cb831ffd9a4d7a79fe127a58b.png

each router is different, look under the management tab, see if it has a ipv6 switch option

if not might be under lan settings, you might need to untick ipv6 from each port

If your Android box is rooted you can turn off IPv6 at the box too. 

I have no idea how IPv6 affects throughput but there is another reason to turn off IPv6 at the router.  If you are using a VPN to spoof websites in the US into thinking that you are in the US, IPv6 leaks can give away the fact that you are outside the US.

My setup with AIS Fibre is IPV4 tunnelled over IPV6, I think (router interface HG180Ev2, very similar to Norcan's - not immediately obvious where or how to disable IPV6). I haven't had *sustained* dropouts, but there are some occasional and seemingly random ones. Because of an accident with a tree (don't ask...) I had to get the line re-done a couple of days back. What surprised me was the speedtest results the tec got after the re-install, over UTP as opposed to wifi. UTP stable (at 30Mb), but wifi all over the place - not sure if that is the box, SSID / frequency conflicts  and so on; but before doing too much else, I would certainly try to see if a UTP cable helps stability of the connection (assuming you are on wifi from the box by default)

@suzannegohI also had a small issue with a VPN not masking me over this box a couple of days back, but only in one browser session. I use 3 different browsers - Firefox, Opera and more occasionally, Vivaldi. Only Vivaldi was getting me tracked, and the only thing I could find after using some browser leak testing sites was the WebRTC setting on Vivaldi. I haven't changed the setting so far, but I don't use vivaldi over the VPN anymore. The others seem OK. Generally, I find that geoiptool.com gives a reliable view of what the world thinks you are, but search for some leak testing sites to see what you might be giving away through settings.

1 hour ago, korkenzieher said:

@suzannegohI also had a small issue with a VPN not masking me over this box a couple of days back, but only in one browser session. I use 3 different browsers - Firefox, Opera and more occasionally, Vivaldi. Only Vivaldi was getting me tracked, and the only thing I could find after using some browser leak testing sites was the WebRTC setting on Vivaldi. I haven't changed the setting so far, but I don't use vivaldi over the VPN anymore. The others seem OK. Generally, I find that geoiptool.com gives a reliable view of what the world thinks you are, but search for some leak testing sites to see what you might be giving away through settings.

VPN leaks might be a good topic for another thread but I don't want to derail this one by going off-topic.