Bangkok Marathon will be one of world’s best, Kobkarn vows

webfact

Bangkok Marathon will be one of world’s best, Kobkarn vows

By The Nation

36f67c50214a2650c8778bbdf298386f.jpeg

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul 

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul hopes to make the Amazing Thailand Marathon Bangkok one of the top 10 such events in the world within three years.

The inaugural Amazing Thailand Marathon Bangkok will be held on February 4.

Kobkarn’s ministry has allied with the Ironman Kona World Championship in organising the event, tapping its experience with such major gatherings as the famous Boston Marathon in the US.

Kobkarn expects Bangkok’s inaugural event to draw 30,000 runners, a number she believes will double in the second year.

She anticipates the debut run will generate Bt700 million in revenues for the country and further boost Thailand’s reputation as a tourism destination.

Ironman organisers would ensure the route meets international standards, Kobkarn said.

Starting at Rajamangala Stadium, it will pass landmarks including the Victory Monument, Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall and Golden Mount before finishing at the Democracy Monument.

The ministry is seeking the aid of the private sector, including the Thai Hotels Association and leading tourism firms, to promote the event and offer travel packages linked to it.

Discount “early bird” admission passes will go on sale on November 9 ahead of normal ticket prices coming into effect on January 1.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30329649

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-19

I'm sorry but as a runner..I believe she is dreaming..or better yet, having a bad nightmare....I walk around Bangkok one day and by late afternoon I'm digging loads of hardened snot out of my nose....the air in Bangkok is atrocious ..as filthy as the sewage ridden sea in Pattaya...Anyone running the streets of Bangkok is taking their best interests in their health at a huge risk...

Just now, colinneil said:

Whatever that crazy woman is on, i want some.

Tourist numbers up, revenue is up, Bangkok marathon will be 1 of the best.

One thing though, you got to give her credit for trying, yes she is very trying.:cheesy:

The only credit I would give her is for not giving up, even after countless PR disasters.

Just don't breathe, because the world health organization has declared the air in Bangkok bad. The particulate count in the air exceeded the limit by 50% . The particulates clog the pores in the lungs, so if you want to lead a long life don't stay in Bangkok

4 hours ago, Lupatria said:

The only credit I would give her is for not giving up, even after countless PR disasters.

Indeed. And interesting she wants to achieve this within 3 years. Presumably thinks she has 3 years left in office??

Hope they get the distance right for one thing!

OMG, lots of very bitter posters just as expected, whenever there is any positive news about Thailand. However much you guys may wish for the event to be a grand failure, it will be a big success and as always, the tourists will keep coming and enjoy the experience. 

4 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Apart from grossly polluted air, I couldn't trust the authorities to keep the trucks, buses, cars, and motorbikes off the road during a marathon.

long distance races are regularly held in bangkok, they are run in the early hours, due to the climate and to avoid traffic disruption, they are usually over by 6am/7am, so if the authorities have any sense they will do the same for this marathon.

There must be a competition going on this week to see who can tell the best lies, first Facebook then the Amazing Thailand Marathon.

Take a deep breath in any part of BK then blow your nose into an hanky, your find its full of filth, these runners will love this I expect, year 1 and then the end of the idea.

19 hours ago, saakura said:

OMG, lots of very bitter posters just as expected, whenever there is any positive news about Thailand. However much you guys may wish for the event to be a grand failure, it will be a big success and as always, the tourists will keep coming and enjoy the experience. 

The trouble is that most of the "successes" are in fact merely forecasts, with very little follow up with any meaningful figures after the events.

The trouble is that most of the "successes" are in fact merely forecasts, with very little follow up with any meaningful figures after the events.
Errrm no the latest poll conducted by WTO AND mastercard puts bangkok at 3rd in the world based on money spent by tourists.

Pretty damned solid!!

10 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

WTO

They use the figures given to them by TAT thats why the local currency is so hi,gh one day soon bankruptcy court maybe

Send in the Clowns, Ahh don't bother they are here

Edited by wakeupplease

On 19/10/2017 at 11:27 AM, chinostar said:

Thai politics never fail to boast about themselves and apologize afterwards for failures.

You have a point.

But at least they appologize afterwards....in the west they never do ... after or later...

Edited by observer90210

But at least they apologize afterwards....in the west they never do ... after or later.

Are you a real Observer Observer 90210? In the Netherlands recently the minister of defence stepped down because of a huge mistake her department made. 

In developed countries (except the US) politicians take full responsibility. Never seen anything like that over here.

35 minutes ago, chinostar said:

But at least they apologize afterwards....in the west they never do ... after or later.

Are you a real Observer Observer 90210? In the Netherlands recently the minister of defence stepped down because of a huge mistake her department made. 

In developed countries (except the US) politicians take full responsibility. Never seen anything like that over here.

You perhaps do not understand the difference between stepping down and making a public appology, my dear fellow.