Multi Entry while holding a Retirement Visa

First, I think you have a one-year extension of your permission to stay in Thailand, granted at an immigration office inside Thailand (it is not a visa). If this is incorrect, please clarify exactly what you have.

To keep a permission to stay (extended if applicable) intact when you leave then come back to Thailand, you need something called a reentry permit. You can get a single reentry permit for 1,000 baht, and a multiple reentry permit for 3,800 baht. The requirements are a photo and the fee mentioned above. If you apply at the airport on your way out of Thailand, these are the only requirements. If you apply in advance at your local immigration office, they may want proof that a TM30 notification was filed by the house master of the dwelling where you live. Not all offices require this.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, wilinusa said:

I was told I will need a Multi Entry Visa so that I don’t invalidate my 1 year Visa.

Probably you were told you needed a (multi entry) re-entry permit.

If you went to an immigration office in Thailand and got an extension of stay based on retirement that expires in October 2018, since that is NOT a visa you would need a re-entry permit. If this is the only trip out of the country you plan on making, a single entry re-entry permit would do. If you plan on traveling out of the country several times during this next year, a multi entry re-entry permit might be worth the extra expense.

Otherwise,  if you got this visa from a Thai embassy or consulate outside Thailand and if the visa  shows the "category" to be O-A and if the "enter before" date is Oct 2018, you don't need a re-entry permit. Just use the visa. It's a multi entry visa and can be used to enter Thailand as often as you like up to the "enter before" date.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tontraveller said:

I just renewed my retirement visa

For muliple entry stamp, you need to fill in again an application form, add picture and few copies...

Pay 3800 Thb and can wait about 30 minutes if not too busy

If only single re-entry  same procedure,,pay 1900 Thb

Confirm the single entry was 1,900 Baht in August.  Since then got multiple entry when extension renewed in September and it was 3,800 Baht.

I'm sure my single re-entry cost me 1000 baht a year ago.   Maybe there's been a price increase.

WARNING:  if you should leave without a re-entry permit, you're in trouble on return.  I believe you must re-apply for another extension based on retirement. It's much safer to get a multiple and then if you're running late for a flight, you don't have to worry about the extra ten or fifteen minutes it takes to get a single re-entry permit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Qman said:

Confirm the single entry was 1,900 Baht in August.  Since then got multiple entry when extension renewed in September and it was 3,800 Baht.

I last got a single re entry permit at Chaengwattana in June 2017 and it cost 1000B, just like every other one I've bought for the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, tontraveller said:

For muliple entry stamp, you need to fill in again an application form, add picture and few copies...

Where did you get the multi-entry stamp in under 30 mins? Last time I went to CW (Dec.'16) it took the entire afternoon. Submitted just before lunch break and got it 4:45pm. Maddening!!

9 minutes ago, phkauf said:

Where did you get the multi-entry stamp in under 30 mins? Last time I went to CW (Dec.'16) it took the entire afternoon. Submitted just before lunch break and got it 4:45pm. Maddening!!

Mine was in Jomtien and took about 15 minutes.  It was late afternoon and there is a separate counter for re-entry permits with no one ahead of me.

2 hours ago, tontraveller said:

You do not "renew a retirement visa". You either apply for a new Non O-A (long stay) visa in your home country, or apply for a one year extension of your permission to stay (on the basis of retirement) at your local immigration office in Thailand.

single reentry permit costs 1,000 baht. You may be confusing the cost with that of an extension which is indeed 1,900 baht.

• Like 2

I watched a recent video by Thai vlogger Kev in Thailand who was applying for his retirement extension. A single entry  was 1900 thb and a multi entry 3800 thb,  Im confused by this thread.

Edited by Jim P

11 hours ago, wilinusa said:

I have a 1 year “Retirement “ Visa the expires Oct 2018. I will be traveling to the USA for Christmas this year. I was told I will need a Multi Entry Visa so that I don’t invalidate my 1 year Visa. Does anyone know the requirements to obtain this visa? Bank Balance etc?

It is straightforward, You apply for re-entry permit on Form TM8 (require photo on the back). Include photocopies of relevant pages of Passport. A single re-entry cost 1000 baht and a Multi Entry 3,900 baht (i think). Mark on the TM8 what you want.Valid till expiry of "Retirement Visa".

Edited by William T

5 hours ago, masuk said:

I'm sure my single re-entry cost me 1000 baht a year ago.   Maybe there's been a price increase.

WARNING:  if you should leave without a re-entry permit, you're in trouble on return.  I believe you must re-apply for another extension based on retirement. It's much safer to get a multiple and then if you're running late for a flight, you don't have to worry about the extra ten or fifteen minutes it takes to get a single re-entry permit.

Nope- for 5 years at least that I can recollect its B1900 (single( and B3800 multiple).

Just now, Jim P said:

Starting at 6.20, it would have been cheaper for him to buy re-entry permits for his two trips abroad rather than buy a multi entry extension for 3800thb

He calls it a retirement visa, but it is the extension he is purchasing.

12 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Actually come to think of it he has saved 100thb. 1900 for the single extension plus two trips aboard requiring re-entry permits at 2000thb, total 3900thb

wrong again.

If he bought a multi re-entry permit, his costs would have been 1900 for the extension and 3800 for the Multi Re-Entry permits. Sums up to 5700 THB total.

If he only bought the extension and a single re-entry permit, it would cost him 1900 + 1000 = 2900 THB.

A second single re-entry permit at the airport costs 1000 THB, adding up to his already spent 2900 totals 3900.- Baht. 

Against 5700 THB this is a saving of 1800 THB , not only 100.- !

Edited by crazygreg44

you can buy an extension plus the single re-entry permit for 1900 plus 1000.

You can do 3 re-entries and still have saved 800 THB against buying the multi re-entry permit.

Only after 4 re-entries, the money you paid out for a multi re-entry saved you 200 THB, against using single re-entries only

Edited by crazygreg44