Non Immigrant O 'Marriage Visa' - Questions on Form

Hi, 

I wonder if anyone can help with the following questions I have regarding completing the application form for a Non Immigrant O visa, 'Marriage to a Thai citizen.

I intend to submit my application in early December and move to Thailand to live with my Thai wife immediately in the new year.

I have been read the information on the Thai consulate website, which while extremely helpful does not answer the following questions. I hope someone with recent experience can help out. 

Question 1: 

What should I give as the purpose of my visit? 

• To live with my Thai wife?
  • Visit my Thai wife?
  • Stay with my Thai wife?
  • Some other answer that you used?

Question 2:

What should I give as the Proposed duration of stay?

I intend to live with my wife permanently in Thailand, but understand that the visa I will be issued with shall be for 90 days. 

• So do I answer:
  • 90 days?
  • One year?
  • Some other answer that you used?

Question 3: 

Where the form has a space for extra evidence should I list the documents I am attaching here or is this for some other purpose?

The answers I have given to the London Embassy for a Non 'O' multiple entry:

1. 'Stay with Thai wife'.

2. 'As per visa conditions'.

3. I list the documents I have provided.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but the above answers have worked for me.

• Like 1

Question 1 : any form of words that implies you want a Non Immigrant visa based on your Thai wife will be fine. I would probably use "Visit my Thai wife", as that is the official wording used in the regulations, but it does not matter.

Question 2 : 90 days. However, you need to decide your strategy for staying long term in Thailand. Do you intend to apply for an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand at the end of your initial 90 day entry? Alternatively, do you intend to make trips out of Thailand every 90 days to avoid the need to meet the requirements for the extension? If you intend to apply for an extension, you only need a single entry Non Immigrant O visa. If you will do border hops instead, request a multiple entry visa.

Question 3 : list of the documents you are attaching with the application.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Thanks for your help guys. 

I'll come back and let you know how I get on after I submit for my visa in December. 

Chommper to help you understand the procedure you will need to apply for a non 'O" 90 day visa,

this is a stepping stone to applying for an extension of your permission to stay on the grounds of

marriage to a Thai national, it is not a visa.

The last 30 days of your 90 day non imm "O" visa you can apply for your marriage extension, providing

you have the necessary funds/evidence of income and all the paperwork required.

There are many threads on the paperwork/finances required to obtain a marriage extension, good luck,

it is,by all accounts, not that difficult, but does take time and patience, just take it one step at a time

Just curious, though I'm sure an hour or ten spent searching would also tell me. Can I make a 'Non Immigrant O based on marriage' extension on the back of a 30 day visa exempt entry or do I need to make application for some sort of visa first? Secondly can this all be done in country or MUST I return to UK first. Currently I'm residing in various ME countries, not been to UK in years.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, bobnuts said:

Just curious, though I'm sure an hour or ten spent searching would also tell me. Can I make a 'Non Immigrant O based on marriage' extension on the back of a 30 day visa exempt entry or do I need to make application for some sort of visa first? Secondly can this all be done in country or MUST I return to UK first. Currently I'm residing in various ME countries, not been to UK in years.

Thanks

You would first have to do a conversion from the 30 day exempt entry to 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at a immigration office based upon qualifying for an extension of stay. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry to apply for the visa or the 30 day extension of it.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only on the date your apply for the visa or proof of 40k baht income by way of a income letter from you embassy.

You could also apply for single entry non-o visa without financial proof either the embassy in Vientiane or the consulate in Savannakhet Laos.

21 minutes ago, bobnuts said:

Thanks

I believe that it is possible to convert from a visa exempt entry to a non imm, "O" at most immigration offices

and then apply for an extension of your stay based on marriage to a Thai national.

I see UJ has answered, he is far more knowledgeable then myself so his advice is solid.

Edited by phuketjock
addition

6 minutes ago, Maverickthai said:

What to do then if your immigration office will not offer this conversion?
Suggestion to leave the country instead.
Is there a way to ( educate). I use this term gingerly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit Bangkok stay in a hotel and give this address at Chang Wattana who are guaranteed to do it if you meet the conditions, or visit Laos and get a Non-O visa there.

Again they will issue the visa if you have the proper paperwork.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

The option(s) you take depend on your plans in Thailand.  If you are coming "to stay" and will not be making frequent trips out, then a 1-year "extension of stay" at an Immigration office in Thailand should be your end-goal.  In this case, starting with a 90-day Single-Entry Non-O based on marriage is the easiest route. 

If you opt to go the "conversion" route, be aware that to fly into Thailand, the airline may demand to see an outgoing ticket dated within 30-days of your arrival.  Also be aware, that a few offices are difficult or impossible to deal with regarding conversions, leaving you no choice but a special trip out of the country to a nearby consulate.  Most offices will do conversions, so if you tell us where you will be living, this question can hopefully be cleared-up.

But you also mentioned living in the ME.  If you will be doing frequent travel out of the country, that could make completing that process more difficult - both the conversion-step and/or the 30-day waiting period upon the 1-year application. 

So, for frequent travelers, a 1-year Multiple-Entry visa from a Thai-Consulate is a better solution - available easily from Savanakhet Laos, locally - and also possibly from other Thai consulates in/near where you are living/traveling now.   This allows you to stay 90-days at a time, and each of those 90-day entries can be extended a further 60-days by a visit to local-immigration with your wife.

Okay, many thanks for the reply to my questions. This last five years or so I have just been making 10 day trips home every 8 weeks or so. Never done anything other than pitch up at immigration at the airport and get my 30 day visa exempt entry. Figure my total time in country is about 60-70 days a year.

When I stop this money making malarkey I am hoping to just pitch up and enter as usual on my 30 day visa exempt entry then convert to non immigrant O based on marriage during that 30 day time period.

Home is Pathum Thani,  just a 10 minute drive from immigration at Chaeng Wattana.

56 minutes ago, bobnuts said:

Home is Pathum Thani,  just a 10 minute drive from immigration at Chaeng Wattana.

If your address is in Pathum Thani province you will have to use the immigration office there not Chaeng Watana.

Edit: They have just relocated to a new office. Info is in this topic.