Austrian Jews tells centrists: don't work with far right Freedom Party

webfact

Austrian Jews tells centrists: don't work with far right Freedom Party

tag-reuters.jpg

Head of the People's Party (OeVP) Sebastian Kurz arrives to meet head of the Social Democrats (SPOe) Christian Kern for talks on a possible coalition government in Vienna, Austria, October 22, 2017. REUTERS/Heinz-Peter Bader

VIENNA (Reuters) - The head of Austria's Jewish community issued a warning to the conservatives (OVP) and Social Democrats (SPO) against working with the far-right Freedom Party (FPO) as OVP leader Sebastian Kurz, heading into coalition talks, spoke of overlap with FPO.

Kurz, whose OVP won elections this month but fell short of a majority at around 32 percent, said late on Sunday his party has common ground with the FPO "on many issues" and that he held constructive talks with FPO leader Heinz-Christian Strache.

"When the nationalist wolf puts on a blue sheep skin it does not change its nature, only its appearance," said Oskar Deutsch, head of Austria's main Jewish association, in an open letter on Facebook to both centrist parties.

Blue is the Freedom Party's colour."If OVP and SPO believe they can tame the wolf, they are deceiving themselves," Deutsch said.

Founded by former Nazis six decades ago, the Freedom Party long ago left the political fringes to establish itself as a mainstream party, gaining around a quarter of votes in parliamentary elections on Oct. 15, within a whisker of the Social Democrats.

In 2000, the EU imposed sanctions on Austria over the FPO's joining the government. Such a step seems unlikely today, given populist movements in Europe that drove Britain from the EU and put a far-right party, the Alternative for Germany (AfD), into the German parliament.

Strache has worked for years to sharpen the party's focus from broadly anti-foreigner to fiercely anti-Islam.

Strache insists that anti-Semites have no place in today's FPO, which routinely has to expel members who step over the line. He has visited the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem and has called anti-Semitism a crime.

"(The FPO) make scapegoats of people who think and look differently," Deutsch said, adding that "almost daily" there were racist and anti-Semitic incidents.

"Symbolic visits to Israel cannot conceal all this. Austria's Jewish community will not whitewash (this)."

Kurz finished initial talks with the heads of all parliamentary factions on the weekend, planning to head into formal coalition talks quickly and form a government within two months.

"From my point of view it's clear that there is conformity in terms of content on many questions with the FPO," Kurz said late on Sunday. Both conservatives and the far right want to curb immigration, cut back the state and decrease the tax burden on companies.

(Reporting By Shadia Nasralla; Editing by Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-23

It is high time the Jews stop interfering. They should look what is going on at home and clean the dung of their own doorsteps. Austria and Germany have been paying far too much to them already 

to make up for the war. It is time they start working and make their own money instead of begging and blackmailing. They can go and tell Trump what to do but not us Europeans.

On 23/10/2017 at 3:08 PM, webfact said:

Strache has worked for years to sharpen the party's focus from broadly anti-foreigner to fiercely anti-Islam.

The FPO is clearly driven by anti-Islamic sentiment; strange bedfellows, the pro-Islamists and the Jews making common cause.

On 23/10/2017 at 3:08 PM, webfact said:

"(The FPO) make scapegoats of people who think and look differently,"

And Israel doesn't?

20 hours ago, jobwolf said:

It is high time the Jews stop interfering. They should look what is going on at home and clean the dung of their own doorsteps. Austria and Germany have been paying far too much to them already 

to make up for the war. It is time they start working and make their own money instead of begging and blackmailing. They can go and tell Trump what to do but not us Europeans.

Always a few neo-Nazi supporters who like to pop out from under their stones now and then.

These Austrian jews (bless 'em) don't seem to have quite grasped the concept of democracy. I know, I know, their ideas are far superior to anybody else's and what they think should count more than everybody else together, but alas this pesky democracy they still have in Austria. One man, one vote and all that. Austrian voters overwhelmingly chose change, and by Jove, change is what the Austrians will be getting.

The irony here is, that the (so-called)"far right" that the Jews are denigrating, are perversely the only chance the Jews have to survive long term in Europe.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Always a few neo-Nazi supporters who like to pop out from under their stones now and then.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Great, maybe you should read some foreign newspapers instead of your government controlled crap. I am sure you have no idea what you are talking about. Next time you pop out get your brain recharged

or get proper info. 

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

3 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

These Austrian jews (bless 'em) don't seem to have quite grasped the concept of democracy. I know, I know, their ideas are far superior to anybody else's and what they think should count more than everybody else together, but alas this pesky democracy they still have in Austria. One man, one vote and all that. Austrian voters overwhelmingly chose change, and by Jove, change is what the Austrians will be getting.

The irony here is, that the (so-called)"far right" that the Jews are denigrating, are perversely the only chance the Jews have to survive long term in Europe.

Strike 2.

3 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

These Austrian jews (bless 'em) don't seem to have quite grasped the concept of democracy. I know, I know, their ideas are far superior to anybody else's and what they think should count more than everybody else together, but alas this pesky democracy they still have in Austria. 

Anti-semitic much?

On 10/24/2017 at 10:59 AM, jobwolf said:

To start with, they should return all the Nobel Prize money that they begged and borrowed.

Interfering how? These are Austrian citizens and voters. Austria is their home.

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Strike 2.

What is this all about? One part of open communication is to allow everyone to talk and say what they think about. 

That's what is the basis of free and open dialogue of talk. 

If there are some entities, who restrict the freedom of talk, I'd give them a strike as well. Given that this suppression of free speech has gone for decades, maybe it's time to give them.

Strike 2.

8 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Anti-semitic much?

Is calling someone Anti-semitic supposed to impress people? 

Should we say 'These are the God's chosen people, whose actions are never to be questioned. Nevertheless how selfishly they act and how <deleted> human kind they are'?

A lot of us have seen, met and interacted with these so called chosen people. All around the world, in 6 continents. 

These folks generally present themselves as <deleted>, not as good folks we like to spend our time with. 

11 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Should we say 'These are the God's chosen people, whose actions are never to be questioned. Nevertheless how selfishly they act and how <deleted> human kind they are'?

A lot of us have seen, met and interacted with these so called chosen people. All around the world, in 6 continents. 

These folks generally present themselves as <deleted>, not as good folks we like to spend our time with.

Strike 3.

Now don't understand me wrong. I appreciate every smart person, regardless of their religion. Being intellectual means being above the religious plane. 

Jews consist a lot of the intellectual people. That intelligence should be present. If it's not, I'm going to challenge it to be present again and again. 

The same applies to any other religions. In general, the less one believes, the more one thinks. 

On 10/23/2017 at 8:59 PM, jobwolf said:

Somehow I read an article about Austrian Jews who call Austria home. What did you read that got your panties bunched up, Jews??  Apparently the Mendel Beilis meme lives on.

53 minutes ago, Johpa said:

Somehow I read an article about Austrian Jews who call Austria home. What did you read that got your panties bunched up, Jews??  Apparently the Mendel Beilis meme lives on.

Somehow I read an article about Austrian Catholics who call Austria home. Bizarre.

Edited by ilostmypassword

Should we say 'These are the God's chosen people, whose actions are never to be questioned. Nevertheless how selfishly they act and how human kind they are'?

These folks generally present themselves as , not as good folks we like to spend our time with. 

Sounds like stupid jew hating rubbish to me. It is 2017 however and although nothing disgusts me more than Nazis if Europe follows it’s present course of Liberalism and appeasement it is doomed to complete Islamisation. Radical Islam it is not just religion there is an all or nothing political ideology that is fundamentally intolerant. Jews of course, feminists, gays, will be the first to the gibbet.

For the time being “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” comes to mind.

36 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Somehow I read an article about Austrian Catholics who call Austria home. Bizarre.

Bizarre indeed as I could find no mention of Catholics or even Catholicism whatsoever.  But thanks for confirming my point!

Just now, Johpa said:

Bizarre indeed as I could find no mention of Catholics or even Catholicism whatsoever.  But thanks for confirming my point!

I wrote "an article". Not "the article." And speaking of articles, you clearly aren't aware of how they work in English. It's a hard subject for non native speakers to understand. Although I still don't understand why you felt obliged to write "Austrian Jews who call Austria home." Seems kind of redundant to me. Now, if you were writing about Austrian Jews who called any other country home, say Thailand, there would be a point to the relative clause. 

35 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Sounds like stupid jew hating rubbish to me. It is 2017 however and although nothing disgusts me more than Nazis if Europe follows it’s present course of Liberalism and appeasement it is doomed to complete Islamisation. Radical Islam it is not just religion there is an all or nothing political ideology that is fundamentally intolerant. Jews of course, feminists, gays, will be the first to the gibbet.

For the time being “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” comes to mind.

What if we would think that Judaism is like 3rd wave feminism. Presented by the people who feel so entitled that they hate every other aspect of the world they encounter?

What if we, the ordinary people, no longer let some parts of our common society to behave the way they own and they are better than all the rest of us?

Should we have a open and collective talk together, or should we suppress all the feelings until we are ready to have yet another war against each other?

Do you wish to make me to look like a nazi, or do you want the whole Europe to become a wonderland for Trump and his way of thinking followers?

to make up for the war. It is time they start working and make their own money instead of begging and blackmailing..

You maybe unaware, but Austria is home to Austrian Jews

There was also an Austrian from 50-100 years ago, who also has similar beliefs that Austrian Jews belonged elsewhere , forget his name, had a mustache and one <deleted>

I'm afraid it's impossible for me to be an idiot. For you however, there is a chance. I'll just call you a moron, which have wider range of intellectual deficient. 

15 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

I cannot see any sense in what you are saying .

No one has gone against the democratic process

They are just forming alliances, which is quite acceptable in the democratic process and it doesnt undermine it

7 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I'm afraid it's impossible for me to be an idiot. For you however, there is a chance. I'll just call you a moron, which have wider range of intellectual deficient. 

Would you accept that you are an Anti semite neo Nazi who would welcome the 4 th Reich ?

Moronism is an old French psychological diaggnosis based on intellectual age. For example Trump. Have you ever met a Jew ? What did the jew do to you? My revulsion to antisemitism has nothing to do with Israel by the way, an apartheid state, so please don’t ask.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Would you accept that you are an Anti semite neo Nazi who would welcome the 4 th Reich ?

No. Why would you think that?

I however do want to have a freedom of discussion, even for the previously suppressed topics. I don't want to hide the discussions what made the Nazies to hate the Jews so much at the first place. I don't want to hide the discussion what made the ordinary people to join the nazi movement.

How about you? Would you like to keep this part of the history away from the common knowledge? 

I do want all the history to be shown out. I want all the history to be processed. For me, that's the only way to get out of the stupid problems, we are deemed to create between ourselves. 

Either we deal with the problems or we hide them. I prefer dealig with the problems.

6 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Moronism is an old French psychological diaggnosis based on intellectual age. For example Trump. Have you ever met a Jew ? What did the jew do to you? My revulsion to antisemitism has nothing to do with Israel by the way, an apartheid state, so please don’t ask.

I hope you are kidding me. I have indeed met multiple highly intellectual Jews who I respect. 

Do you feel, you are out of your depth?