new laptop/notebook

overherebc

2 hours ago, Meljames said:

I'd stick with the Lenovo. Thinkpad 570, goes for about 600 US.

Forget Lenovo (and Acer and HP) -- poor build quality and reliability.   From Square Trade: "ASUS and Toshiba, reliability winners 
We next turn our attention to the relative reliability of different laptop manufacturers.  Our study data includes 9 brands with a minimum of 1000 units, which is enough to give us a statistically significant look at the 2 year failure rates. ASUS and Toshiba come out on top.  With 3 year malfunction rates forecast to be under 16%, laptops from these two manufacturers are nearly 40% more reliable than Hewlett-Packard [25.6% fail rate], the worst performer in our study.  [Lenovo at 21.5% and Acer at 23.5% were not much better than HP.] Sony and Apple also performed better than the average.
The industry leader HP, which shipped nearly 16 million laptops in the past year according to IDCiii,  ranked dead last in our reliability study with over one-fourth of laptops expected to malfunction in 3 years.  Gateway and Acer, the #2 maker of laptops, were also nearly as unreliable as HP, with an expected malfunction rate of over 23%.
Conclusions on laptop reliability   ASUS and Toshiba laptops failed just over half as frequently as HP, which makes them a solid bet in terms of reliability." 

Asus has excellent build quality and reliability and IMO the best value for money of all of the laptops (and tablets and smartphones) available in Thailand. Check Lazada for the best prices. And there are factory service shops in BKK (near Fortune Town on Rama IX) and Rayong in the unlikely event that something goes wrong. 

Edited by Thailaw
fixed typo

12 minutes ago, Thailaw said:

Forget Lenovo (and Acer and HP) -- poor build quality and reliability.   From Square Trade: "ASUS and Toshiba, reliability winners 
We next turn our attention to the relative reliability of different laptop manufacturers.  Our study data includes 9 brands with a minimum of 1000 units, which is enough to give us a statistically significant look at the 2 year failure rates. ASUS and Toshiba come out on top.  With 3 year malfunction rates forecast to be under 16%, laptops from these two manufacturers are nearly 40% more reliable than Hewlett-Packard [25.6% fail rate], the worst performer in our study.  [Lenovo at 21.5% and Acer at 23.5% were not much better than HP.] Sony and Apple also performed better than the average.
The industry leader HP, which shipped nearly 16 million laptops in the past year according to IDCiii,  ranked dead last in our reliability study with over one-fourth of laptops expected to malfunction in 3 years.  Gateway and Acer, the #2 maker of laptops, were also nearly as unreliable as HP, with an expected malfunction rate of over 23%.
Conclusions on laptop reliability   ASUS and Toshiba laptops failed just over half as frequently as HP, which makes them a solid bet in terms of reliability." 

Asus has excellent build quality and reliability and IMO the best value for money of all of the laptops (and tablets and smartphones) available in Thailand. Check Lazada for the best prices. And there are factory service shops in BKK (near Fortune Town on Rama IX) and Rayong in the unlikely event that something goes wrong. 

Thanks ?

1 hour ago, Digitalbanana said:

That is from an article (link below) written over 8 years ago! Technology and even companies change.

https://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

The Most Reliable Laptop Brands of 2017 | Apple, Dell, and More ...

Aug 14, 2017 - If a reliability is as important to you as performance and looks, read on to see ... that Asus also makes it on our list of the most reliable laptop brands. ... Update: Replaced Toshiba with Samsung in the runner-up position.

------------

Better?

I had an ASUS netbook (remember them?) that I bought in saudi in 2009 and it was a delightful little unit, good build quality and etc...then I hadta get serious again with a full sized 15.8" laptop and bought an Acer in 2010 in Hanoi that performed well and that went thru some rough duty at jobsites, dirt, dust, etc...then it started to slow down after about 4 years and I remembered the ASUS and got one of those, top of the line laptop in Jeddah again and straight off started having keyboard problems; I noticed that the entire keyboard would deflect when I typed and keystrokes wouldn't register...disappointment...

at work I had a colleague that had a new lenovo laptop and thought (when I had enough of the ASUS laptop keyboard) I'll try that one and have been contented ever since, bought in January from invadeit...

the ASUS netbook and the Acer are still in use in the house somewhere...I kept the ASUS laptop as a back up...the kids all use their smartphones these days...

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 7:39 PM, Thailaw said:

The Most Reliable Laptop Brands of 2017 | Apple, Dell, and More ...

Aug 14, 2017 - If a reliability is as important to you as performance and looks, read on to see ... that Asus also makes it on our list of the most reliable laptop brands. ... Update: Replaced Toshiba with Samsung in the runner-up position.

------------

Better?

Well, maybe. Samsung don't have a full range in the laptop market. Just going by what one finds on sale at Better Buy, the choice is Apple, HP, Asus, Acer and maybe Dell. Toshiba? Easiest for the latest reviews just go to CNET.

Edited by SheungWan