Converting single entry tourist visa to non imm O based on marriage or thai child

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some advice please. 

I am a 49 yr old Brit, married to Thai national with young child. I have been living and working on and off within Thailand for the past decade without a worry as I have alway had a non imm B visa and work permit etc. My work  abruptly stopped the other month and I my visa and work permit were cancelled. I went to Penang last month 2 get a single entry tourist visa (currently valid to Dec 2nd) and am no wondering about my next options hence the questions and request for advice. 

1) Should I apply for a non imm o based on marriage or having a Thai child? Is there much difference between the 2, requirements etc?

2) Should I go for a single or multiple entry? If I get a single entry non imm o visa am I able to get a re entry permit  and extend after 90 days. If so what is the duration of each extension and how many times can I extend. Before with my non imm b it was a year extension with a 90 days report, is it the same with the non imm O? 

3) To apply for the non imm o visa initially does the 400k in the bank account have to have been there for 2 months?

4) I have my wife and daughter's house registration docs but not a valid rental contract is that necessary? We currently live in Hua Hin and will move back to Bkk shortly.

5) Should I apply for a non o in a Thai consulate abroad or can I convert the tourist visa in Bkk immigration? Will they issue multiple entry non imm O?

Many thanks in advance for your replies and advice. I've read so many bits of info that its hard to pull out all the relevant parts. 

Cheers all

R

You could of gotten a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage in Penang instead of the tourist visa.

1. Since you are legally married you need to apply based upon marriage.

2/3 You can only apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. The 400k baht only needs to be in the bank on the date your apply for the visa. Then during the last 30 day of the 90 entry you could apply for a one year extension based upon marriage. The 400k baht would need to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for the one year extension.

After getting the extension you would apply for single or multiple re-entry permit to keep the extension valid.

4. You will need a rental agreement to apply for the visa and extension of stay at immigration.

5. The only advantage of applying at immigration for the visa is not needed to leave the country. You can get a single entry non-o visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof or the rental agreement.

1. There's not much difference and you end up with the same 'O' category non-immigrant visa. Marriage certificate and copies of your wifes ID and House Registration Book (Tabian Baan), or Birth Certificate and copy of the child's Tabian Baan.
  2. If you're living in Thailand it's best to get a Single Entry visa. Towards the end of the 90 days you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay, or a 60 day extension. You can apply for a 1 year extension after having a 60 day extension. It's only necessary to get a Multiple Entry Visa if you can't meet the finical requirements of a 1 year extension of stay.
  3. No.
  4. Not when applying for the visa abroad. Proof of where you live (not necessarily a rental contract) might be needed when applying for an extension of stay or a visa conversion.
  5. You could apply to convert to a non 'O' in Bkk as a prerequisite to a 1 year extension of stay. First you go to Bkk immigration to apply for a non 'O' visa. About two weeks later you go back to immigration and they stamp a visa in your passport and give you permission to stay for 90 days. Towards the end of the 90 days you go back to apply for the 1 year extension of stay. About one month after that you go back to get the 1 year extension of stay. Getting a Non 'O' abroad saves two visits to Bkk immigration. IMO it's less hassle to go abroad for a new visa. If you get a 1 year extension of stay you need a re-entry permit for any trips abroad during that 1 year. A multiple entry re-entry permit is 3,800 baht and Single entry re-entry permits are 1,000 baht.
Edited by elviajero

Many thanks for all the info, I really should've checked before I made my trip to Penang last month, it was all a bit rushed unfortunetly.

Once i obtain a single entry Non 'O' can I apply for a re-entry permit or do I have to wait until I get the year extension?

Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, dickboy101 said:

Once i obtain a single entry Non 'O' can I apply for a re-entry permit or do I have to wait until I get the year extension?

You can get a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry from a non-o visa to keep the remainder of it valid when you enter the country.

Then you would need a new re-entry permit for the one year extension of stay.

8 minutes ago, bobnuts said:

40k showing offshore? What does that mean? 40,000 baht in a non Thailand bank?

It is 40k baht of income proven by a income letter from your embassy. It can also be from legally working here with a work permit proven by tax payment receipts.

• Like 1