Painting a wooden fence – Have I been given the wrong paint

Once Bitten

Ive recently made and installed a long out doors picket style fence made from wood , the wood has been sanded and is ready for painting. I want to paint the wood a white color so I went to the local DIY shop and asked what white paint they had for wood . They told me that they had the Lobster brand Synthetic Resin Alkyd Enamel paint and it would be ok for painting on wood. I asked about an undercoat paint and they said it was not necessary , just apply a few coats of the Lobster paint and it will be ok. 

Well on starting to paint the wood fence it soon became apparent that to completely cover the wood I would need to apply at least 4 coats of Lobster paint and that will not only take a lot of the paint , but take a very long time to finish the job.

So I'm now wondering if there is an undercoat paint ( possibly gray color ) that I could apply first to the wood that will then mean I only have to apply one white paint top coat .

So could the white paint I have been sold not be correct type .

I am planning a trip into the city and hopefully depending on the advice I get here , look for an undercoat paint at a large DIY / Builders merchants.

Any advice most welcome . 

Paint1 - Copy.jpg

yes an undercoat of the same brand is essential  to reduce usage of top coat

added to that  the undercoat is of a thinner consistency   allowing it to soak into the wood for better adhesion   Lobster is from my experience a reasonably good quality product  my advice as to makers thinning instructions   dont bother  if needed  just test piece a small area  and see how it settles       you are not going to achieve  car type factory finishes

just a good lasting/adhesion and weather proof coating  oh yes bin the cheap brushes  in fact a roller system cuts out a lot of labor time  

2 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

yes an undercoat of the same brand is essential  to reduce usage of top coat

added to that  the undercoat is of a thinner consistency   allowing it to soak into the wood for better adhesion   Lobster is from my experience a reasonably good quality product  my advice as to makers thinning instructions   dont bother  if needed  just test piece a small area  and see how it settles       you are not going to achieve  car type factory finishes

just a good lasting/adhesion and weather proof coating  oh yes bin the cheap brushes  in fact a roller system cuts out a lot of labor time  

Thanks , Ive still got this strange feeling that when I walk into a city store and ask for undercoat I will be told don't need . I would like to find a photograph showing a Thai brand of suitable undercoat just to show the store sales people .

Lobster is the lower priced brand from U.R. Chemical Co Ltd. Gallant is the better grade of paint from U.R. Chemical sold in Thailand. If I was painting a wood fence I would buy Nippon Bodelac 9000 or Bodelac 1000 solvent based wood paint. Another moderately priced exterior wood paint option is TOA Industrial Laquer or TOA Flat Enamel paint. The brochures and paint buckets are in Thai language and English language.  Mom and POp shops often only stock the least expensive paint. Mandarin Duck is the least expensive TOA paint. Mixed to a lower spec than SuperMatex paint or 4 Seasons paint. 

Buriram Nippon Wood Solvent exterior paint.jpg

Buriram TOA Wood Fence Paint.jpg

16 minutes ago, Once Bitten said:

Thanks , Ive still got this strange feeling that when I walk into a city store and ask for undercoat I will be told don't need . I would like to find a photograph showing a Thai brand of suitable undercoat just to show the store sales people .

sort of half empty reply  go to the store where you purchased the top coat if no luck  brouse  the shelves  choose the product that has undercoat written in English which LOBSTER has

I would consider the TOA Lacquer Primer Surfacer for a wood fence. If budget is a driving consideration then the inexpensive Mandarin Duck Universal Undercoat clearly states WOOD in Thai and English. This is a step up from Shark brand paint in Thailand.  Any TOA paint brand or Beger paint brand has a fantasy list price and deep discounts should be offered 7 days a week, all year long on any paint from TOA or Beger.  Both companies present themselves as premium in advertising.  

Wood Fence Undercoat Paint Buriram Thailand.jpg

Edited by kamalabob2

Thanks every one its appreciated :thumbsup:

I'm looking at some Thai paint web sites and it seems that for the words  '' wood  Undercoat  paint  ''  some web sites are using the words  '' wood Primer paint  '' .  Any real difference between Undercoat and Primer ?