Proof of Income for Marriage Extension - Urgent

Hi,

I own a property in the UK that I have rented out for the last 11 years and I this year I have used this to show I have the income to support my wife

I have provided immigration with copies of the statements I receive from the letting agency along with the letter from the British embassy

but they are now asking for a copy of my rental agreement!

Has anyone else come across this? I will be asking my letter to provide a copy of the original agreement (fortunately the same family are still renting it) along with a supporting letter from the agency stating that that the agreement is still in place 11 years later

Has anyone else come across this situation? Is there anything else that I can ask my letting agency for?

Thanks in advance

I think that the OP is saying that his income includes the rental income that he showed statements for (these would likely have been provided to the embassy as well to support the figures for the income letter).

I have done the same in the past but immigration NEVER questioned the gross income figure signed off by the British Embassy.

Frankly, an IO would not have the slightest idea how to accurately assess rental income.

IF, IF, if the OP is being asked for supporting information then the rental agreement should be easy to supply..... I REALLY doubt that is the case though.

I sent the statement to the British Embassy to get my income letter and it was still attached to the letter when I submitted it to immigration along with my other documentation 

We live rent free at an apartment owned by my brother in law so we provided immigration with a letter from my brother in law stating this in lieu of a rental agreement in Thailand

The immigration officer definitely wants a copy of the UK contract (although I don’t see that many people in Thai Immigration will be able to understand a British Legal Contract)

When I said the original was 11 years old he suggested that I just draw up a new contract (Thai style I guess)

5 minutes ago, narkeddiver said:

I sent the statement to the British Embassy to get my income letter and it was still attached to the letter when I submitted it to immigration along with my other documentation 

I think most people would of removed the statement for their records. That is why the embassy send it back to you with the letter. 

5 minutes ago, narkeddiver said:

We live rent free at an apartment owned by my brother in law so we provided immigration with a letter from my brother in law stating this in lieu of a rental agreement in Thailand

I think you need to check to be sure that the officer understood that was equal to a rental agreement. Is a signed copy of his house book and ID card attached to it.

Hi UJ,

The letter from my brother in law had signed copies of his house book and his ID card attached to it and we explained to the IO at the time and it was accepted 

I should explain that we originally submitted this documentation in September and I got a stamp in my passport saying to return in November

Assuming that everything gets resolved this year I’ll make sure to remove the supporting documentation from the Embassy letter next year!

16 minutes ago, narkeddiver said:

I should explain that we originally submitted this documentation in September and I got a stamp in my passport saying to return in November

It appears that was requested by division 5 headquarters when your application was sent to them for approval.

What is your report back date on the under consideration stamp?

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It appears that was requested by division 5 headquarters when your application was sent to them for approval.

What is your report back date on the under consideration stamp?

10th November - but my local IO wants the UK contract by tomorrow lunchtime

I have a feeling that HQ didn’t understand the rental income statement and asked the local IO to clarify things with me

When I spoke to the IO on the phone he was able to understand it but then he phoned back two minutes later having spoken to his boss to ask for the contract 

7 minutes ago, narkeddiver said:

When I spoke to the IO on the phone he was able to understand it but then he phoned back two minutes later having spoken to his boss to ask for the contract 

Can you get a scan of it sent by email to you? I am sure that would be accepted.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Can you get a scan of it sent by email to you? I am sure that would be accepted.

I am trying to get hold of a scanned version at the moment, along with a letter stating that it is still current and what the current rental income is (as the monthly rent has gone up over the last 11 years)