China considers three-year jail terms for disrespecting national anthem

webfact

China considers three-year jail terms for disrespecting national anthem

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO - People walk at a hutong alley decorated with Chinese national flags during the ongoing 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China, in Beijing, China October 21, 2017. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu

BEIJING (Reuters) - China's largely rubber-stamp parliament is considering tougher penalties for those who disrespect the national anthem, including up to three years in jail, state news agency Xinhua said on Tuesday.

In September, China passed a new law mandating up to 15 days in police detention for those who mock the "March of the Volunteers", a law that also covers the Chinese territories of Hong Kong and Macau.

Parliament is now looking at whether to amend the country's Criminal Law to include criminal penalties for disrespect of the national anthem, Xinhua said.

A draft amendment has been submitted for deliberation at a bi-monthly session of parliament's standing committee, which started Monday, it added.

"Violators in this regard may face punishments of up to three years of imprisonment, according to the draft."

It is not clear when the amendment could be passed.

The earlier national anthem law has fuelled concern in Hong Kong, whose residents have grown nervous over China's perceived encroachment of the city's autonomy following such events as the disappearance of booksellers who later emerged in mainland Chinese custody.

In 2015, Hong Kong football fans booed the Chinese anthem during a World Cup qualifier, prompting a fine for the territory's football association from world body FIFA.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-10-31

Maybe the US could adopt a similar law...... If you don't 'love it' ... Than 'leave it'.... Or do 'TIME'....

But in the US it seems that it is a move to make the population love the 'blacks' more.... as somehow they seem to feel they deserve respect just for being 'black' and not anything to do with them working harder to deserve or earn that respect............ LOL.............

31 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Maybe the US could adopt a similar law...... If you don't 'love it' ... Than 'leave it'.... Or do 'TIME'....

Excellent idea - freedom is overrated anyway.  We could have a Federal Department of Love-it-or-leave-it that would be in charge of giving pop-quizzes to random people on the street, to see if they express the appropriate amount of "love" as defined by the government.  They would have black vans with polygraph machines in the back.  If you fail, there is always the option of re-education camps or trans-orbital lobotomy.  If you don't like those options, we will spin the big wheel to see which country is going to be your new home after selling off all your assets to the state.

Edited by attrayant

1 hour ago, sawadeeken said:

But in the US it seems that it is a move to make the population love the 'blacks' more.... as somehow they seem to feel they deserve respect just for being 'black' and not anything to do with them working harder to deserve or earn that respect............ LOL.............

I know. Their use of opioids, amphetamines, and alcohol has soared. Those lazy good-for nothing...oh wait that's white people. 

1 hour ago, sawadeeken said:

Makes one wonder how the founding father's could have got it so wrong.

download (1).jpg

9 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Yes, another classic, where the author demonstrates their crystal clear thinking by not understanding the difference between "than" and "then", or the use of ellipses, all-caps or...well, let's just summarize that the post reflects the intelligence, understanding and care taken by the poster. 

And just to point out the obvious, the protests have nothing to do with "make the population love the 'blacks' more", it's about "make the police stop shooting the 'blacks' more". By the way, the people whom you're targeting as lazy or not having earned respect have to both maintain world-class physical conditioning and spend countless hours studying film in order to perform at a high enough level to keep their jobs. I don't know you obviously (nor would I like to based on your post), but I'm guessing you couldn't go through 10 minutes of an NFL Training Camp workout without collapsing.

7 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Makes one wonder how the founding father's could have got it so wrong.

download (1).jpg

What part of, it only pertains to government and not to private parties do you not understand? Example:  You have a right to free speech on the public street, but lose that right as soon as you come on my property. 

48 minutes ago, habanero said:

What part of, it only pertains to government and not to private parties do you not understand? Example:  You have a right to free speech on the public street, but lose that right as soon as you come on my property. 

so it's not that they kneel that bothers you?,, it's that they kneel on private property.

2 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

so it's not that they kneel that bothers you?,, it's that they kneel on private property.

Exactly. I have to pay to watch an NFL game whether I am at the game or watching it on paid TV. I do not wish to watch some political BS, when it is a football game I am paying to watch. If they want to go out on the street and kneel to their heart's content. I have no problem with that.

34 minutes ago, habanero said:

Exactly. I have to pay to watch an NFL game whether I am at the game or watching it on paid TV. I do not wish to watch some political BS, when it is a football game I am paying to watch. If they want to go out on the street and kneel to their heart's content. I have no problem with that.

That's exactly how I feel. I don't pay to watch a crowd sing the national anthem. If they want to engage in an irrelevant display of patriotic fervor, they should take it outside.

19 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

That's exactly how I feel. I don't pay to watch a crowd sing the national anthem. If they want to engage in an irrelevant display of patriotic fervor, they should take it outside.

Come on.  A little bit of patriotism is OK!  I've seen this in many different countries around the world.  Fantastic.  You should love your country, be proud of it, and help it to get better.

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Come on.  A little bit of patriotism is OK!  I've seen this in many different countries around the world.  Fantastic.  You should love your country, be proud of it, and help it to get better.

We're all applying our own definitions according to our own arbitrary standards.  I could just as easily say that kneeling during the anthem is demonstrating "a little bit of patriotism".

What was originally intended and having it taken to extremes are very different things. I don't believe there is a single player, black or otherwise, that has any idea of how the common person lives day to day. Asking them to show a little respect for a country that allows them to earn more in 1 afternoon than the average family earns in a year isn't out of line.

Keeping in mind that this is the same country that was founded and built by mostly white Europeans seeking freedom, not of expression, but from oppression, it boggles the mind that now, Blacks, Asians, Muslims, Mexicans, etc. can create organizations that exclude all but themselves and are called "Affirmative Action Groups, but any organization that promotes whites in the same fashion is labeled as racist.

Too bad we can't find a happy medium between the US's views and the Chinese views.

"I don't believe there is a single player, black or otherwise, that has any idea of how the common person lives day to day."  Because these  players, particularly the black ones all come from wealthy families and had privileged upbringings? Are you serious?

White Europeans seeking freedom? So that's why they established the slave trade. It was for the sake of freedom. To this day, black people celebrate the freedom of expression they enjoyed in the slave colonies and then the slave states. And of course the thousands of lynchings that continued well into the 20th century make for inspiring reading, too. 

53 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

What was originally intended and having it taken to extremes are very different things. I don't believe there is a single player, black or otherwise, that has any idea of how the common person lives day to day. Asking them to show a little respect for a country that allows them to earn more in 1 afternoon than the average family earns in a year isn't out of line.

Keeping in mind that this is the same country that was founded and built by mostly white Europeans seeking freedom, not of expression, but from oppression, it boggles the mind that now, Blacks, Asians, Muslims, Mexicans, etc. can create organizations that exclude all but themselves and are called "Affirmative Action Groups, but any organization that promotes whites in the same fashion is labeled as racist.

Too bad we can't find a happy medium between the US's views and the Chinese views.

Oh really. You think that the NFL players, many of whom come from very poor backgrounds, don't have any idea about how the common person lives day to day. You think they've completely forgotten their upbringing, their mother, their siblings, cousins, neighbours...how would that even be possible?

Just because the White Europeans (who quite happily slaughtered and subjugated the natives who happened to be living there already) were looking for freedom does not mean that they were all for freedom for everyone else. You may have heard of the slave trade perhaps?

The reason minority people form these affirmative action groups is because they aren't getting a fair deal simply because of the colour of their skin. The reason White people don't have a basis for forming affirmative action groups is that they're not being oppressed or otherwise discriminated against for being White. Despite whatever propaganda you've read about Black Lives Matter, there's nothing in their platform that is about oppressing White people or denigrating them or removing their rights. That's the only platform for your White "affirmative action" groups with respect to non-White people. 

Your last sentence is a non-sequitur. But no need to explain, I'm sure it's just more racism.

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Asking them to show a little respect for a country that allows them to earn more in 1 afternoon than the average family earns in a year isn't out of line.

Nothing wrong with showing a little respect, however I still maintain that it's lunacy to show respect to inanimate objects, songs, pieces of land, etc.  People deserve respect (if earned).  Things, ideas and beliefs don't.

The second problem is that the whole concept of living in a free country means nobody should be able to dictate to you how to show respect.  As soon as laws start getting passed that says you have to stand up for a special song, you've lost some of your freedom and liberty.

4 hours ago, JCauto said:

You may have heard of the slave trade perhaps?

yes, have you? the portuguese started it in the 15th century. Didn't have any customers in the states until around 1650 when the British started dying off from working in the elements and needed a larger labor force.

Pretty sure I didn't have anything to do with it nor did our President. We DID however have a President that set them all free 200 years later or did you miss that day in civics class?

Now here we are after another 200 years and it's still being whined about?

6 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

yes, have you? the portuguese started it in the 15th century. Didn't have any customers in the states until around 1650 when the British started dying off from working in the elements and needed a larger labor force.

Pretty sure I didn't have anything to do with it nor did our President. We DID however have a President that set them all free 200 years later or did you miss that day in civics class?

Now here we are after another 200 years and it's still being whined about?

Nice avoidance and attempt to distract. But even when you do that, you manage to trip over your own feet. I thought you said it was White Europeans who built America?  Then in this post, you claim they couldn't hack it so had to import slaves for labour. Sounds a lot like the slaves were the ones doing the work, at least in the South. 

As you know already, they're not protesting slavery, they're protesting the obvious disparity in the way police treat black people versus white people. This is easily seen in statistics and in numerous incidents of filmed brutality and murder. Would you claim that this is not the case? 

2 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Nice avoidance and attempt to distract. But even when you do that, you manage to trip over your own feet. I thought you said it was White Europeans who built America?  Then in this post, you claim they couldn't hack it so had to import slaves for labour. Sounds a lot like the slaves were the ones doing the work, at least in the South. 

Never mentioned the south - these were brits that stayed in the north - Jamestown to be specific. (do I have to keep educating you?) "White Europeans" encompasses many folks from many countries so do try to keep up.

The Portuguese found a market with the brits as they were already used to enslaving every country they tried to rule.

Slaves didn't become a commodity in the south for another 100 years.

1 minute ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Never mentioned the south - these were brits that stayed in the north - Jamestown to be specific. (do I have to keep educating you?) "White Europeans" encompasses many folks from many countries so do try to keep up.

The Portuguese found a market with the brits as they were already used to enslaving every country they tried to rule.

Slaves didn't become a commodity in the south for another 100 years.

Whatever. Irrelevant to the discussion. 

Care to refute the counterpoints made to your original post?