TV: Trying before buying to avoid disappointment.

giddyup

I had my heart set on a Sony 43" UHD, 4K model that I was going to order through Lazada, but I thought I'd check it out in one of the electrical outlets first. I normally download all my movies and TV series and transfer to a flash drive, which I watch through a media player plugged into my old Panasonic 42" Viera, so I took a stick with me to try on the Sony Bravia, but a 49". Had to say I was a tad disappointed with the picture quality considering the Sony is supposed to upscale with the 4K. Honestly, the picture was on a par or a bit less quality than my Panasonic. Another thing the Sony won't do is start the program on the flash drive at the same place if it's been stopped, as my media player will do, it goes back to the beginning every time. Wasn't possible to view anything else like cable TV, you're stuck with the UHD loop that shows the TV in it's best light. Unless I start paying for Netflix there probably isn't much point in spending 23,000 baht to upgrade.

I had pretty much the same experience.

My flash drive consisted of a few AFL games and TV shows.

My friend in Oz has Foxtel and a HD box to run it through and the picture

is superb.

I was hoping for the same but it was not to be. I thought the picture on the new 4k's

only slightly if any,  better than my current plasma that needs replacing.

I think if you're not watching HD and or blu ray, you won't see a major difference.

That's why I think it's a waste of money to be paying top dollar for the OLED's

and top of the range stuff, as you don't really get a big enough increase in quality

to justify the price.

So I'm just thinking of getting a mid-range 65 inch Sony or going for something a

bit bigger. Think I'd rather pay for a bottom of the line 75 inch than a top of the line

65 inch when the pricing is around the same.

7 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I had pretty much the same experience.

My flash drive consisted of a few AFL games and TV shows.

My friend in Oz has Foxtel and a HD box to run it through and the picture

is superb.

I was hoping for the same but it was not to be. I thought the picture on the new 4k's

only slightly if any,  better than my current plasma that needs replacing.

I think if you're not watching HD and or blu ray, you won't see a major difference.

That's why I think it's a waste of money to be paying top dollar for the OLED's

and top of the range stuff, as you don't really get a big enough increase in quality

to justify the price.

So I'm just thinking of getting a mid-range 65 inch Sony or going for something a

bit bigger. Think I'd rather pay for a bottom of the line 75 inch than a top of the line

65 inch when the pricing is around the same.

I may just go for a UHD and forget the 4K and save myself a few thousand baht.

I have been a Sony TV fan for the past 25 years but have only purchased units that were actually manufactured in Japan & not Malaysia,where most units are from. Although slightly dearer than the Malaysian units the quality of the picture from the Jap units is far more superior.