‘I believe I can win’, says halfway leader Chanikarn

‘I believe I can win’, says halfway leader Chanikarn

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam 
The Nation

8c5faa357b4645f757eec0d988eca3bf.jpeg

Chanikarn Yongyuan

Hua Hin - Chanikarn Yongyuan showed a steely resolve to hit an even-par 72 and keep the halfway lead in the Singha Thailand Junior World Golf Championships at the Royal Hua Hin Course yesterday.

The 17-year-old, who is seeking her maiden title, holed a six-foot birdie on the eight on the way to carding a par 72 and a two-round 144 on a windy day at the oldest 18-hole course in the Kingdom, built during the reign of King Rama VII.

“I was a bit tense at the beginning as I didn’t want to fall too many strokes behind said the teenager, who was followed a shot behind by Hsieh Chia-Yu of Taiwan and Hiraki Arina of Japan.

“That six-foot-birdie on the eighth [she started on the back nine] really got my momentum back. I’m happy to still be sticking to my goal of hitting even-par in each round. 

“This is the first time that I’ve been producing my best golf in this event. I’m quite excited to be in the lead.

“I will try to hit even-par again at the weekend. If I can maintain this level I think I can win this week,” added the Phitsanulok-based player, who has received a scholarship to enter University of Southern Utah next year. 

She has no plans to turn pro soon.  “Education is still my priority. If I sustain any injuries from golf, at least I will still have some security in my future if I have a degree,” said Chanikarn, who plans to study psychology in the US.

In the boys category, Filipino Luis Miguel Castro, despite  74, still remained atop of the leader’s board with a halfway total of 145, one over par.

That put him two ahead of local hope Akedanai Ponghathaikul, who shot a second-round 73.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30330737

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-04