Video: If you want a taxi - call a policeman!

webfact

The next fine step would be to have the Thai Police stopping the taxis and the tuktuks who cheat farangs and locals by refusing to turn on the meter or by overcharging.

Would this be a dream to happen one day ?

Edited by observer90210

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

What difference does it make to anyone whether the light is on or off, it's not legislated. If the taxi is driving past it's obvious that it's not available and no potential passenger is going to be inconvenienced because they won't be interacting with that taxi.

As in the Real World, even in Thailand the light on means the taxi is available, and if the light is off it is not. But very, very often the driver appears not to understand that basic and common sense rule. Or is too lazy to turn it off if he isn't available.

17 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I think Uber might be illegal in Thailand? not sure. I just recently tried Uber in Malaysia for the first time. Worked very well. Uber offers multiple different services, some of which are way more expensive than a standard Taxi. Customers using Uber state the main reason for using it is that it is convenient, the price picture is not the main reason. So why doesn't Uber get in touch with the taxi organizations, and offer "UberTaxi" along with UberBlack, UberBig and whatever other services they have now? I think many people will use UberTaxi, even if it is slightly more expensive than the cheapest Uber driver, just because it is a licensed and insured taxi. And if it was as convenient as an Uber driver, no contest.

the cops have banned them in Pattaya to save the taxies

18 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

So why doesn't Uber get in touch with the taxi organizations, and offer "UberTaxi" along with UberBlack, UberBig and whatever other services they have now? I think many people will use UberTaxi, even if it is slightly more expensive than the cheapest Uber driver, just because it is a licensed and insured taxi. And if it was as convenient as an Uber driver, no contest.

What you describe is 100% GrabTaxi and does already exist.

20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Taxi drivers are not obligated to stop and being in the middle lane is a good indication that they are not looking for a fare at that moment but if they do stop they are obligated to accept the fare.

Not all taxis waiting for customers refuse to use the meter and not all of them charge triple the fare.

I usually have good luck with taxis. In my area many seem to understand falang=tip. 

But I notice it is difficult to find a taxi on  Suttisan aka short cut to Ladphrao Soi 48/64. One cab kicked me out because I couldn't remember sutthisan name I called it Soi 64 shortcut he wanted to take Ladphrao from Esplanade 

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As in the Real World, even in Thailand the light on means the taxi is available, and if the light is off it is not. But very, very often the driver appears not to understand that basic and common sense rule. Or is too lazy to turn it off if he isn't available.

In any world, even yours, it means that the taxi is only available if it stops, and they don't have to stop!  But, what difference does it make to anyone who is not going to be a passenger in that taxi, anyway?  It does not affect you either way...unless you're a self-appointed Thaivisa taxi rule enforcer, of course.  

21 hours ago, berybert said:

Yeah the way he managed to block the left hand turn lane was amazing.

Give it 2 or 3 minutes and that traffic would have backed up for miles.

Is life that bad in Bangkok where the traffic cannot wait 3 minutes for a Taxi to stop ???, Then Bangkok has a REAL problem compared to all other Western worlds Mr Berybert