What do the Excise department do with unwanted / unclaimed goods?

baboon

My pal sent me some Swedish snus and I was called in today to pay tax on it. How much did they want? They didn't know. When WOULD they know? They didn't know. Why are they demanding tax when they don't even know what the stuff is? Because. How can I pay the tax and take my stuff home, then? I can't. Not today. So why in Christ's name did you call me in in the first place then?

I shall try again in a few days but if this nonsense persists, I shall tell them to stick it up their jacksys. Should that happen, what would they do with my stuff - burn it? Sell it? In the case of the latter, I sure hope whoever ends up with it becomes sick as a dog...

Baboon, that is strange in BKK it seems to be better regulated. I have been called to the tax office 2 times and both times after i showed an invoice and on my phone the website what it was it was taxed at that office and done. 

Strange that they can't do the same for you

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

Baboon, that is strange in BKK it seems to be better regulated. I have been called to the tax office 2 times and both times after i showed an invoice and on my phone the website what it was it was taxed at that office and done. 

Strange that they can't do the same for you

Given they were frequently changing their story, I suspect tax to the government might not have been the only thing on their minds. They looked rather perturbed when I loudly stated that this was all crap, that I would happily walk away with nothing if I had to and tell others never to ship anything here...

Edited by baboon

50 minutes ago, baboon said:

Given they were frequently changing their story, I suspect tax to the government might not have been the only thing on their minds. They looked rather perturbed when I loudly stated that this was all crap, that I would happily walk away with nothing if I had to and tell others never to ship anything here...

Ah corruption, guess that would have been on their mind. I think it happens less at Laksi (Bangkok) office as its quite big and always many people waiting. Real official and all. That really sucks needing to pay extra to get something released. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ah corruption, guess that would have been on their mind. I think it happens less at Laksi (Bangkok) office as its quite big and always many people waiting. Real official and all. That really sucks needing to pay extra to get something released. 

They'll get nowt extra from me. I am not paying for the item + VAT + shipping + Thai tax + a bribe. No way.

What they will get if this cannot be resolved reasonably, is my pal shipping me perfume bottles filled with urine and the like, just in case they might be operating a little business on the side...

29 minutes ago, baboon said:

They'll get nowt extra from me. I am not paying for the item + VAT + shipping + Thai tax + a bribe. No way.

What they will get if this cannot be resolved reasonably, is my pal shipping me perfume bottles filled with urine and the like, just in case they might be operating a little business on the side...

I recently had a kettebel send to me (special kind from Ironmaster). Quite expensive and 100 euros postage (the kettlebel was double that).. I would have expected tax or something like that no tax nothing. I really don't get it something of a bit under 20 kg does not slip through unnoticed.. but i guess they did not want to tax a heap of iron. (I bought it as it works in combination with other Ironmaster stuff i got)

Sometimes its crazy when and how they tax.. same with the cheese i get send (get the cheese for free from my parents i pay postage only) sometimes its taxed and sometimes its not. 

And I would not like paying bribes too.. (depending on how much the item was they were holding hostage)

Edited by robblok

42 minutes ago, baboon said:

How about 'urine' wine? What a laugh that would be.

9 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

How about 'urine' wine? What a laugh that would be.

Why pay the extra for the postage when someone's wife using her bottle of special 'perfume' would yield the same results...?

Managed to cobble together a deal for most of my gear today.

Christ they were slow but I was starting from scratch with a different crew. To be fair, they were quite pleasant and no bribes were solicited - I even got a coffee and a few smiles, but then I am one good-looking son of a bitch...?

Christ they were slow but I was starting from scratch with a different crew. To be fair, they were quite pleasant and no bribes were solicited - I even got a coffee and a few smiles, but then I am one good-looking son of a bitch...[emoji38]

double im fishing internet is patchy. Now if i were to catch some fish.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Christ they were slow but I was starting from scratch with a different crew. To be fair, they were quite pleasant and no bribes were solicited - I even got a coffee and a few smiles, but then I am one good-looking son of a bitch...[emoji38]
Good on you happy it worked out. What was the tax ?

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Good on you happy it worked out. What was the tax ?

668 Baht. Not the end of the world, I suppose, but still pricey considering what it costs...

I was at Customs Services at Lak Si this afternoon. Definitely no tea money needed there. Everything is very transparent and there is a receipt for everything.

In case anyone needs the co-ordinates:

Edited by blackcab

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

I was at Customs Services at Lak Si this afternoon. Definitely no tea money needed there. Everything is very transparent and there is a receipt for everything.

In case anyone needs the co-ordinates:

How long did it take to have your stuff released, out of interest? 

How long did it take to have your stuff released, out of interest? 
When there is stuff they dont know its value then i go to Laksi too been there 3 or 4 times in ten years. Always got the stuff the same day.

Things they do know its worth the just send to the local post office and i pay the tax there and get it the same day too.