US cuts out funding to clear wartime bombs

geovalin

The Cambodian Mine Action Centre yesterday said the United States would cease funding its work to clear the country of unexploded ordnance from January. CMAC director-general Heng Ratana said on Facebook he was informed of the decision by their partner NGO Norwegian People’s Aid.

“The US has cut its aid to CMAC through NPA without giving a reason,” Mr Ratana said. The US was supplying CMAC with $2.5 million annually through NPA to clear UXOs.

“I am disappointed they are stopping funding at a time when Cambodia has discovered and is suffering from chemical remnants of war left by the US,” Mr Ratana said. “The US government must be held responsible.” Despite this, Mr Ratana urged the public not to worry about the aid cut, since Prime Minister Hun Sen would not allow the issue to affect the operations of CMAC.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5089294/us-cuts-funding-clear-wartime-bombs/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 07/11

27 minutes ago, Katipo said:

I see there is no mention of the millions of mines planted by Hun Sen and his Khmer Rouge. 

You can add Pol Pot with Hun Sen and their merry bunch of murdering thugs as the land mines they plant are still killing and maiming Thais and Khmer on both side of the border from Chong Chom to Preah Vihear. 

Edited by khwaibah

He forgot to mention that C-MAC has been misusing the money for a decade.  We have given multi-millions for UXO clearance, with dismal results.   Private UXO companies do a much better job of it.  Cambodia has been a welfare State for almost 30 years, bout time it stood on its own two feet.

Old landmines get destroyed in Surin

To mark the International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action, which falls on April 4 every year, army officers brought 3,000 mines to be destroyed in a ceremony held on Tuesday at Ban Charas in Surin’s Bua Ched district. 

Royal Thai Armed Forces’ Thailand Mine Action Centre officers, together with Thai Civilian Deminer Association personnel, placed mines and explosives retrieved from the Thai-Cambodia border area in one-metre-deep holes before detonating them during the ceremony.

The landmine clearance activities are important to prevent landmine accidents from causing accidental deaths, particularly of villagers in the border area, and to provide safe areas at border crossings to facilitate trade.

Read more here:  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311273

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy, link added.