THai backyard FMF exhaust vs. FMF made exhaust

cam3l

Hello,

I have a Honda CRF250L and the amount of spare and after market parts is just astonishing. I want to upgrade the exhaust and it took me a while to understand how some guys could sell a FMF exhaust for as low as 5000b for a full system.

But then I realized... They are not real FMF, they are thai FMF.

The only difference (from what I can tell) is the FMF logo on the 'expansion chamber' and the price which is 1/3 of a real FMF: See attached photos.

Is there a big change in quality & output on thai backyard made FMF?

Thanks in advance

23335696_1556402311121407_871908131_o.jpg

23376916_1556402317788073_196161002_o.jpg

22883534_1556402371121401_2091905697_o.jpg

I cant coment on the Thai made version but I was lucky enough to pick up a sendhand original FMF Q4 for just 8500 baht.  This was the whole system with powerbomb.  The new price was around 21,000 baht 

I did a repack of the muffler just to be sure it would perform as close to a new one. I think I was very lucky to stumble upon that deal.  It was a hell of a lot lighter than the original Honda muffler and together with airbox mods and an EJK, performance was noticeably better.  

The Thai copies look ok but you can tell they are copies by their construction.  Like a lot of Thai 'soda can' mufflers/silencers I doubt that there is much 'guts' inside them.  They churn out a lot of noise by allowing exhaust gas to pass straight through with least resistance.  Performance wise....who knows but I wouldnt expect much.  Sometimes you gets what you pay for.

2 hours ago, cam3l said:

Is there a big change in quality & output on thai backyard made FMF?

There are many exhaust made in Thailand. It is just tubing and welding. The welds look OK.

If it works for you then don't worry about it.

The flow must be considerately better with bigger tubes and as well the weight. I am thinking of buying one.

I got a quotation from my shop (BNS-Shop) in Chiang Mai who could get me a "Acropovic full exhaust" for 7000b. I believe that one was without the expansion chamber; does that chamber do much?

I wouldn't bother with either. I bought a backyard 'Yoshi', beautifully made but sounded vile, I was embarrassed to ride it in town. Also killed torqu while adding some top end. Not being too hopeful I had the original 'gutted' at the place in CM that makes the copies and was amazed at the results. More torque than std, a gear or two lower for any given speed and as much top end as the copy. Had a drag race with a similar CRF with a copy pipe and creamed it, including top end;-)

Also sounded like a 'real' bike but cops and border officials don't look twice. 1k Bht.

8 hours ago, canthai55 said:

4 stroke engines do not use expansion chambers

Not as such , no. He means the "Power bomb" resonance / expansion cone that sits along side the cylinder head. It alters the pressure waves to gain a little torque. Nice to have depending on the extra cost. On a CRF , id go for a quiet replica system , and a fuel re-map.

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

4 stroke engines do not use expansion chambers

Actually, both the copies and the real ones have a small bulge in the downpipe, probably for some pulse reflection tuning similar to a 2 stroke.

The Google Map details are - https://goo.gl/maps/ofDhS4Hd4ww - if this works, odd error below!

Trat Wong Rd Soi 3