EU states see Britain failing to meet Brexit divorce terms

webfact

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

I think it's actually more like 7 billion euros which is not even the size of Germany's Budget surplus. The EU has a total GDP of 14 trillion euros..The EU will manage just fine without the UK's contribution.

And here's an interesting fact. The UK and Portugal were tied for last place in terms of economic growth in the 2nd quarter of 2017.

https://www.ft.com/content/d28f87df-ad13-3f34-974b-2ab436a4f6e8

The amount is closer to 10bn Sterling per annum.

Germany will have no noney to spare because of Merkel needing to buy a coalition government (if that's what you're suggesting), and none of the other countries have any spare money. So, yes, it would be a very large shortfall for the EU.

You forgot to insert the word 'historic' before the word 'fact': the third quarter results are out now.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

The standard nonsense from someone who is taken in by stupid voters for remain.

You poor Brexiteer. You cannot see the writing on the wall. It was so obvious even before the vote that it was going to be a disaster for Britain.

I shall watch Britains sad fate from afar.

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Nope!

Sensible people know that Brexit is just foolish self harm

Do you think upper quartile Brits will not buy their BMW, Merc, Audi because of 10% duty? However, in Europe, 10% on your typical Honda, Toyota or Nissan imported from U.K. IS a big deal. They will lose out to VW, Renault and Peugeot obviously.

Again, are upper quartile Brits going to give up drinking Champagne, Prosecco or Cava? Nope

Now let's talk about Euratom. Shall I start?

Just now, ResandePohm said:

You poor Brexiteer. You cannot see the writing on the wall. It was so obvious even before the vote that it was going to be a disaster for Britain.

I shall watch Britains sad fate from afar.

The wall is a blank canvas at the monent. And you should go into the psychic industry.

3 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Whether we agree with someone's opinion or not, the point surely is to put forward a coherent argument in support of your position. They might reply that they believe you to have been "taken in by" leave arguments in the Daily Mail ("Journalism's answer to rabies"), whereas quite probably you don't even read that "Newspaper".

Just now, Khun Han said:

The wall is a blank canvas at the monent. And you should go into the psychic industry.

Do you really believe that?

It is most likely to be a hard exit because no agreement is yet written on your blank wall. That will be a sad day for all who live in the UK.

33 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think you have delusions of grandeur (assuming you're an EU citizen). 

I disagree.  I think it is more of a disaster for the EU.  The EU should give the UK a good trade deal to avoid their own self destruction.  The UK will prosper either way.

Yes I am an EU citizen but I am also a Brit. Delusions of grandeur? Thats a good one. I am just sad to see my country go down the tubes because of the emotional arguments put out by the British press. No rational analysis or argument was ever put forward for the Brexit case. Just pure emotion.

Why should the EU give Britain a good trade deal. What has Britain  got to give in return? Or do you believe Britain deserves something for nothing. In that case carry on dreaming.

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

I don't need to, I've read enough.  The overlooking of material errors in EU spending for 20 years is well publicised.

If your house has a leaking roof would you just walk away and say I can't live there. (maybe you would) Most people would fix the problem. It would be expensive to just walk away and that is what brexit is finding out now.

1 minute ago, ResandePohm said:

If your house has a leaking roof would you just walk away and say I can't live there. (maybe you would) Most people would fix the problem. It would be expensive to just walk away and that is what brexit is finding out now.

You think that they didn’t try to fix it.......?

Cameron’s ineptitude and the arrogance of the EU leaders ensured that the leK could not be fixed.

Yes........ I would certainly move out in those circumstances.

Yes I am an EU citizen but I am also a Brit. Delusions of grandeur? Thats a good one. I am just sad to see my country go down the tubes because of the emotional arguments put out by the British press. No rational analysis or argument was ever put forward for the Brexit case. Just pure emotion.

Why should the EU give Britain a good trade deal. What has Britain  got to give in return? Or do you believe Britain deserves something for nothing. In that case carry on dreaming.

Tell me this.  If the EU is so gracious and great, and they believe a harmonised Europe is best for peace, and that we should all prosper; why would they be so keen to punish the UK for leaving the union? Why would they not want to retain a good partnership with the UK?

If the union is so great, and the people running it are so wonderful, why would they be so spiteful? Why would they not show some compassion or some empathy? 

If they are so great, why would they want to hurt the 48% of UK citizens who voted to remain in the union?

And don't tell me they want to punish the UK as a warning to other nations not to leave the union.  Because that would make them dictatorial.

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Is that the same larger power that has had 20 years of unsatisfactory audits? The same larger power that is run by over paid, under qualified protectionists who are desperate to protect their huge pensions?

No thank you.

......and as importantly an "unelected cabal"

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

The Komodo Cons don't want a deal. So they will storm out blaming EU intransigence.

UK is destined to become a low rent low pay low tax offshore economy. This of course will be most harmful to the very people blindly pushing for Brexit. They should be sectioned for self harm.

Its already a low pay country with wage supression due to over 3 million EU Immigrants. Unfortunately its not a low rent country due to the same mass immigration creating a housung shortage thus increasing rent and property prices. They certainly should section for self harm, anyone that wishes this nonsense to continue and ruin the future for generations to come.  Within the next few years UK will prosper in every way. 

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

Tell me this.  If the EU is so gracious and great, and they believe a harmonised Europe is best for peace, and that we should all prosper; why would they be so keen to punish the UK for leaving the union? Why would they not want to retain a good partnership with the UK?

If the union is so great, and the people running it are so wonderful, why would they be so spiteful? Why would they not show some compassion or some empathy? 

If they are so great, why would they want to hurt the 48% of UK citizens who voted to remain in the union?

And don't tell me they want to punish the UK as a warning to other nations not to leave the union.  Because that would make them dictatorial.

Oh you poor disallusioned Brit. Britain has gained enormously financially by being in the EU and taking advantage of the single market.

The EU is not trying to punish the Brits. They are negotiating for the benefit of all their member nations which are larger and more powerful than Little Britain. They have the stronger position. It will not help crying like a spoiled child and saying it is unfair. We live in the real world and you cannot get everything you want. Brexiteers have just not analysed their situation.

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

It's mainly the British media, which is talking about punishing UK for leaving. Other EU countries don't care too much what happens to the UK afterwards as it's no longer part of our country. 

Naturally EU will use it's power and the upper hand to make the best deal for EU citizens. I assume UK will try to pay it's a lot smaller power for UK's benefit. 

There is absolutely no reason why EU should treat UK as a parent to a spoiled child. UK is and have for long been past adolescence as a country. You took the step out, now you need to bear the responsibilities which comes with the divorce. I guess there will be a mayham at the UK parliament, which also seems to be a kind of child care centre with yelling kids. 

Good luck UK.

13 minutes ago, ResandePohm said:

You use a good analogy.  Unfortunately though the roof cannot be fixed, because the people in charge of the roof seem to like that leak.

If the EU showed any real desire to reform I think the UK would have voted to remain.

Oh you poor disallusioned Brit. Britain has gained enormously financially by being in the EU and taking advantage of the single market.

The EU is not trying to punish the Brits. They are negotiating for the benefit of all their member nations which are larger and more powerful than Little Britain. They have the stronger position. It will not help crying like a spoiled child and saying it is unfair. We live in the real world and you cannot get everything you want. Brexiteers have just not analysed their situation.

LOL. We had the same message, using slightly different words. :)

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

You use a good analogy.  Unfortunately though the roof cannot be fixed, because the people in charge of the roof seem to like that leak.

If the EU showed any real desire to reform I think the UK would have voted to remain.

You get what you vote for. Change your EMP until you get one that will do what you want. Britain is not the only country not happy with aspects of EU policy. Together these problems can be fixed. Running away is rather cowardly don't you think

2 minutes ago, ResandePohm said:

You get what you vote for. Change your EMP until you get one that will do what you want. Britain is not the only country not happy with aspects of EU policy. Together these problems can be fixed. Running away is rather cowardly don't you think

The EU will never be fixed, sadly.  It's not as simple as you make it sound, i.e. "change your EMP until you get one that will do what you want".

I hope one day a new version of the EU is born.  One that is purely a trade partnership across 28 (or however many) nations. Maybe the UK leaving is the first step towards that happening.

1 hour ago, ResandePohm said:

Britain has got the Government it deserves. They voted them in. Same as the US has Trump. It stikes me the stupid voters for Brexit are now getting what they deserve. Did they really believe that the EU would just let them walk away. What has the war got to do with anything. It was Britains choice to go into both WW1 and WW2 so trying to use that is plain idiotic and besides the war ended more than 70 years ago which is longer than most whining Brits have been alive.

Brexit is an enormous disaster for the British economy and it was the Brexiteers who voted for it, so they need to stop trying to blame the EU for their self made dilemma. However it is still not too late as the Brexit vote was never legally binding. The Government, if it had the balls to do it, could still ignore the voting and stay in the EU for the benifit of the country.

"However it is still not too late as the Brexit vote was never legally binding. The Government, if it had the balls to do it, could still ignore the voting and stay in the EU for the benifit of the country." :cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by vogie

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Germany will have no noney to spare because of Merkel needing to buy a coalition government (if that's what you're suggesting), and none of the other countries have any spare money. So, yes, it would be a very large shortfall for the EU.

You forgot to insert the word 'historic' before the word 'fact': the third quarter results are out now.

A wonderful example of doublethink. On the one hand, Brexiteers generally claim that Germany is profiting enormously from the eu at the expense of other nations including the UK. On the other hand despite this enormous benefit Germany won't fork over extra money to keep the tremendous advantage they derive. Even if your 10 billion figure is correct (and it's higher than what I found) that would amount to less than 1 percent of the German budget. And this is assuming Germany takes responsibility for payment of the entire amount.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

And thanks for reminding me that the 3rd quarter results are out now:

UK economic growth dwarfed again by eurozone in third quarter

The eurozone’s economy once again grew faster than the UK’s in the third quarter of 2017, according to the latest data, confirming the divergence in economic fortunes between Britain and the continent as Brexit approaches in 2019.

Eurostat estimated on Tuesday that the collective GDP of the 19 states of the single currency area grew by 0.6 per cent in the three months to September, faster than the 0.4 per cent growth registered by the UK over the same period.

This follows eurozone GDP growth of 0.7 per cent in the second quarter, when the UK grew by just 0.3 per cent, also the weakest rate in the G7

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-economic-growth-eurozone-q3-2017-third-quarter-gdp-france-eu-brexit-a8028891.html