non O visa passport lost 5 days before renewal

Hi everyone,

I got a 1 year non 0 visa based on marriage, it will expired in 5 days, the immigration told us we could get one year again with 400 000 bahts proof. I wanted to go today but unfortunately I can't find my passport, my children probably played with it, I spent hours searching for it but it seems nowhere.

I'm French I tried to contact the embassy but get only a recorded message. I suppose I need an emergency passport but on the documents required on the embassy website they mention a paid flight ticket, which make little sense as I want to stay here.

What happened if my visa expires before I get the new passport?

Not sure how the France does an emergency travel doucment. Some countries only issue them for a trip back home.  Others will issue them without a ticket out of the country if you need to extend you stay.

You will need to do a police report for a lost/stolen passport.

You will be on an overstay unless you can get a doucment equal to a passport that they can stamp your extension into.

Thank you Ubonjoe, the French embassy is not very efficient and full of surprises but it would make sense that they offer this possibility. I will go to the police station then the embassy tomorrow.

Could I still get one year visa after an overstay?

Also I'm always confused, after my first year non O visa based on marriage is the second year an extension or a new visa?

1 hour ago, fry30 said:

Could I still get one year visa after an overstay?

Also I'm always confused, after my first year non O visa based on marriage is the second year an extension or a new visa?

Probably, as long as you report the passport stolen. Also, you'll almost certainly have to pay 500 baht in overstay fines for every day you're late applying.

The second year is a new extension of stay. Each year you go to renew is effectively a new application. As you're already in the country you don't need a visa.

Edited by elviajero

I found my passport but unfortunately a bit late. We went yesterday to make a new extension of stay based on the 400 000 required, it was 3 pm and they close at 4:30 so they didn't have time and get a bit pissed they still checked our documents, told us that the statement from our bank wasn't the one they need and it should be 3 months not 2 months, furthermore the statement has to be before the end of my visa.

My visa end today 18 November, we went back to the bank but they couldn't make this statement because they are not the bank in which we opened the account however they will try to persuade the other branch to change the date of the statement, this branch is not open on Saturday so we it will be on 20, hopefully they will accept to change it for 17. My first question is, do we really need the statement to be before the end of the visa.

My second question is about the 3 months required, I asked this question previously on the forum and was told 2 months, I'm pretty sure that they also told us this at the immigration, let say they changed this and it's really 3 months, I put the money on 23 August, in 5 days it will be 3 months, could we use an overstay? this wouldn't work if the statement has indeed to be before the end of the visa.

Not sure why you are getting a bank statement instead of just updating your bank book and making copies of it. Have you already gotten the bank letter.

The 400k baht only needs to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for your extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage.

thanks Ubonjoe, I think I got the difference between extension of stay and visa, thanks to Elviajero, as long I'm in the country it's an extension of stay, now if I can't get this extension and need to go outside the country I will need a visa.

I updated the bank book as well yesterday, I added 500 bahts just to get an historic but they seem adamant that we need a statement, I will try with the book bank too. We will try to get the bank letter next Monday and do the extension of stay after. What happen if they insist that it needs to be 3 months? also could it be a problem to be on overstay?

They are usually nice but I think they get pissed that we came at 3 pm and just one day before the end of the visa, they forgot we called them when we lost the passport, possibly they will be in better mood Monday.

fry30, do not panic!
The money must be in the bank two months before applying for an extension the first time only. This is your second extension and subsequent years the money must have been the in the bank for three months.
Your situation:
1. Your extension to stay has expired so you are now technically illegally in the country. This infringement makes you liable to daily fine.
2. Your bank balance has not been in the bank long enough to be given an extension.

How do things appear to Immigration Officers?

You are late applying because you are disorganised and lacking knowledge of Immigration procedures, nothing dishonest and nothing with which Immigration is unfamiliar. Certainly not deserving of imprisonment, deportation, tearful separation from your family, banishment never to return or failing any of the above, beggarment due to large fines or the need to make expensive journeys, in my opinion.

Be cool and calm at Immigration, you are at their mercy I believe that if things are as you say, Immigration will help you and it shouldn’t be too bad.
At least now, you know what has gone wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

thanks tgeezer, it's my first extension so it should be 2 months? I stayed one year with a non O based on marriage then I'm requiring another year with 400 000 proof.

Now it looks like it's going to be even more complicated than we expected, we got a paper to fill where they are asking a lot of questions, like how much money I'm getting every months and from where, what is the job of my wife, how much in her bank account. Unfortunately we have nothing because we put all in a shop we opened for her.

I thought I would just have to show 400 000. We are super worried now, trying to be prepared for all possibilities, I invested everything here so even to come back in France it would be with a huge loss and we are far to be rich.

51 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

The money must be in the bank two months before applying for an extension the first time only. This is your second extension and subsequent years the money must have been the in the bank for three months.
Your situation:
1. Your extension to stay has expired so you are now technically illegally in the country. This infringement makes you liable to daily fine.
2. Your bank balance has not been in the bank long enough to be given an extension.

Wrong

For an extension based upon marriage only has to be in the bank for 2 months for every extension. You confusing it with a retirement extension.

1. If he applies on Monday he will not be fined since his current extension ends to today when immigration is closed

2. Wrong

36 minutes ago, fry30 said:

Now it looks like it's going to be even more complicated than we expected, we got a paper to fill where they are asking a lot of questions, like how much money I'm getting every months and from where, what is the job of my wife, how much in her bank account.

That is the standard statement your wife needs to complete. The space for your income is not that important especially since you are using the money in the bank option.

1 minute ago, fry30 said:

@Ubonjoe that's reassuring but if the officers don't understand this?

They should know the rules. From the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18 

The info is exactly the same as clause 2.18 of Police Order 327/2557  basis for extension of stay

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

I was not aware that they gave one year at port of entry, I can’t understand why they should do that or why anyone would want it. That doesn’t change anything as far as money in the bak is concerned, it is two months the first year because applicants will not have been in country three months, you have been in the country more than three months.
<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
inflammatory off topic comment removed

If this is not yet clear ...

If you have not previously had a 60-day extension to visit your wife, you can apply for one on Monday. No financial proof is required for this, but your wife must be with you. When I say "not previously had a 60-day extension", I mean since your last entry into the country using a visa. You are allowed one 60-day extension per entry, but coming in on a re-entry permit does not count.

12 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I was not aware that they gave one year at port of entry, I can’t understand why they should do that or why anyone would want it. That doesn’t change anything as far as money in the bak is concerned, it is two months the first year because applicants will not have been in country three months, you have been in the country more than three months.

He had a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

It is 2 months for every extension. Read both my posts or the immigration website I posted a link to.

tgeezer, we did ask the officer what was required and they told us don't worry just 400 000 in your book bank for 2 months and the same documents than the first time. 10 days before we decide to go there with the documents but my 30 months daughter managed to climb at the top of the shelf and take the passport out of my bag, I wasn't expecting this... She has some skills.

Edited by fry30

@tgeezer, we even asked several times, with the same answer, just 400 000 and the same documents but now they are asking more things, we didn't have to prove the income of my wife the first time

ubonjoe, I didn’t work it all out but went on what fry 30 says and what Immigration told him. I take the point that he is not on overstay. It appears that my rationalisation of maturing the money is based on Immigration being as confused as me. However I return to my initial post “don’t panic” there is even less need to worry since in spite of what he has been told and I took to be the case he has no problem.

So could it be a problem that I'm not working and that my wife has no money? we are indeed living on the shop that I paid, I bought the house, land, car and shop still have in bank and will find a job later but I need to be with my family for a while, my wife can't set the business alone and I need to finish the house to make it safe.

I feel like a criminal because I want to live with my family and because I'm not rich enough, I will try to bring all my family in France where we have more chance to be accepted but I invested all I have here and even if we try to go in France I need time here to prepare this.

@tgeezer, we even asked several times, with the same answer, just 400 000 and the same documents but now they are asking more things, we didn't have to prove the income of my wife the first time

I think that I had better defer to the “experts” on this. You and Immigration say that you flled out forms the “first time” yet ubonjoe says that you were on a visa allowing for 90day visits which would involve no form filling or contact with Immigration at all. Frankly it is all beyond me.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 minutes ago, fry30 said:

So could it be a problem that I'm not working and that my wife has no money? we are indeed living on the shop that I paid, I bought the house, land, car and shop still have in bank and will find a job later but I need to be with my family for a while, my wife can't set the business alone and I need to finish the house to make it safe.

Don't worry about what you need to put on the statement. You meet the financial requirements with the 400k baht in the bank.

Your bank book probably shows funds coming into the country that includes the 400k baht in the bank and the purchases you have made.

I feel like a criminal because I want to live with my family and because I'm not rich enough, I will try to bring all my family in France where we have more chance to be accepted but I invested all I have here and even if we try to go in France I need time here to prepare this.

Do not feel bad Thailand is not out to frustrate your arrangemts and the fact of being poor is more proof of honesty than criminality. As ubonjoe notes you are perfectly legal in having brought a lot of money into Thaiand and there is no reason why this shouldn’t be the source of the 400.000 Baht which you show.
If Thailand accepts marriage to a Thai then in a genuine situation they must accept that money belongs to the family so I wouldn’t expect an Immigration officer to probe too deeply in your situation. Good luck, I am sure that all will be well, just remember Immigration has a job to do make them like you if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app