Ancient Village Of The Long-neck Tribe

DragonQuest

:jap:hello peolpe, I really want to visit these peolpe that have long necks,(and its the only tribe in the world that does this) I know its a few hours away from chaing-mai, anyone has been there or heard about them please share your thoughts thank you. I will be starting my journey this year, MAPS, details, FAQ'S anything that can help my Quest would be apreciated :o

There's a group in Mae Sa Valley which is only about 20 minutes from Chiang Mai. Other places included Thaton, Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son. All of them are tourist traps.

Of course they are tourist traps. That's why they are here in the first place!! And the reason so many tourists go to them is that they are very,very interesting! Yes, they are there for the money. So is every other business. What's wrong with that?

The Long Neck Karen and their kin, the Big Ear Karen (who usually build their villages side by side,) need cash money these days. They can't pay a dentist or hospital with chickens any more, nor can they trade some cloth for gas for their motorbikes. The need cash money. They need the tourists to bring it in exchange for sharing their culture. As in any good business, both sides get what they want. The tourists get a glimps of an ancient culture, and the tribes get cash.

They need cash. They can't generate that cash back in Burma, so they come here, rent space in a village built by a Thai entreprenure who charges an entry fee as well as charging the Karen for rent on their houses. The Karen, in turn, pray that the tourists WILL come to this village and purchase the goods they are selling. Once they have sold out their merchandise, they leave and return to Burma to refill their stock.

The shame of it all is that the enterence fee paid by visitors to go into the village doesn't get back to the Karen people. That stops with the Thai who built the village, pays off the local immigration, border patrol, and constabulary to allow the Karen to remain there. Of course, he does have his overhead to consider too. After all, he is running a business also. Only the money that the tourists bring and spend gets to the Karen people.

The Hill tribes today (and this was NOT the case 100 years ago,) need the tourist business. Most of them, not just the Long Neck Karen. As modern society encroaches upon their ancient lifestyle, barter alone won't keep them alive and healthy any more. They need folding money to survive today. Folding money that the tourists bring in.

The Fly Fisherman

I am going to have to go with Physherman on this one. These people do need the money, but nowadays , who doesn't ? Sure it is a tourist trap, But so is going to the National forest now ( 400B farang ) or Wat Po in BKK or any number of places around the world. But irreguardless, if it is something that YOU would like to experience, then who cares ! Just go in with your eyes open and enjoy life :o

:jap:hello peolpe, I really want to visit these peolpe that have long necks,(and its the only tribe in the world that does this) I know its a few hours away from chaing-mai, anyone has been there or heard about them please share your thoughts thank you. I will be starting my journey this year, MAPS, details, FAQ'S anything that can help my Quest would be apreciated :D

They are called the Kayan and their few locations in Northern Thailand are a bit touristy; not to mention that the people themselves are treated little better than zoo animals. But then some people like zoos.

The Burmese Kayan people here in Thailand are also far from the only ones who go for the long necks. There are also Kayan (unrelated) or Ndebele in Borneo and many tribes in Africa who do the same and can be found off the well-beaten tourist paths.

Tourism is cool tho and often many people would get glimpses of a particular culture no other way. I prefer exploring on my own on foot or motorcycle but bus tours have their place as well. And novelty people are found everywhere tourism exists from the alligator-wrestling Seminoles in Florida to the Hula-dancers in Hawaii to Watusi' leaping around a bonfire in deep/dark African tourist villages. :o

Have a good time and remember that behind the show are a people deserving of sincere respect.

Many years ago I visited the long-necked hilltribe women near Mae Hong Song up in the hills. Fantastic experience and great photos to take back to Mom and friends of a completely exotic locale.

Equally interesting, was my anthropological foray to visit the short-necked rather rotund farang tribe that slothed from bar to bar on Walking Street in Pattaya. This tribe was rather gruff and quick to anger when photographed!

Many years ago I visited the long-necked hilltribe women near Mae Hong Song up in the hills. Fantastic experience and great photos to take back to Mom and friends of a completely exotic locale.

Equally interesting, was my anthropological foray to visit the short-necked rather rotund farang tribe that slothed from bar to bar on Walking Street in Pattaya. This tribe was rather gruff and quick to anger when photographed!

How true that is ! :o:D :D

Whether to visit such places is a matter of personal choice and conscience. Many find them distasteful and exploitative, especially when the people are refugees from Burma. Others are comforted by the idea that the people earn some cash and therefore a fair exchange is taking place. One could justify visiting or not visiting the "villages" with all kinds of arguments. Whatever your position, don't believe the hype that you are on a rare trek to visit some ancient, lost tribe. You are instead going to view a cultural anomaly that has turned out to be a moneymaker in the tourism business -- that much is probably inarguable.

The shame of it all is that the enterence fee paid by visitors to go into the village doesn't get back to the Karen people. That stops with the Thai who built the village, pays off the local immigration, border patrol, and constabulary to allow the Karen to remain there. Of course, he does have his overhead to consider too. After all, he is running a business also. Only the money that the tourists bring and spend gets to the Karen people.

The Hill tribes today (and this was NOT the case 100 years ago,) need the tourist business. Most of them, not just the Long Neck Karen. As modern society encroaches upon their ancient lifestyle, barter alone won't keep them alive and healthy any more. They need folding money to survive today. Folding money that the tourists bring in.

The Fly Fisherman

First, there are plenty of hilltribe villages doing quite well without tourism. Tourism, in the form of trekking, is somewhat isolated to a few areas where there is a diversity of villages within a few days walking distance. There are areas, such as along the Burmese border, where there are many Karen villages but few, if any, trekkers as there are only Karen villages within the neighborhood. That being said, tourism certainly benefits some villages, or more often, some families within the village. The downside is that it can create a certain amount of inequality where previously there was little inequality. But one does not need tourism for that to happen when the modern world encroaches on these villages.

Second, the long-neck Karen, AKA Kayan or Padaung, are not indigenous to Thailand as are the S'gaw and P'wo Karen. These are for the most part, as are the Akha, internally displaced people who have migrated to the border regions to avoid the ethnic conflicts that plague Burma. A few Thais, as well as some Thai S'gaw Karens, saw tourist opportunities by bringing them across the border and displaying the Kayan to foreign tourists, and have reaped some profits. And yes, little of the entrance fee money goes to the Kayan, just as little of your money for that elephant ride go to the mahout, but then again, little of the money you are spending at Tesco goes to the clerks.

I believe the Mae Sa elephant camp is hosting some Kayan so one need not travel too far for a peek. And at least the owner of that tourist establishment will insure the well being of the people far more than some of the more, how shall I say, dispicable folks I have known who have opened such tourist attractions in the past.

Wow! I didn't realize that using the words "tourist trap" would elicit such strong responses. For the record, while I do find it a bit awkward to pay to see people, I've taken my friends and family quite a few times. I was not passing any judgement here.

Edited by earlofwindermere

When I first came to Thailand, four years ago, I too thought I would boycott the so called Long Neck Toursist trap. After finally letting my curiosity get the best of me I went to both villages near Mae Hong Song. I was so impressed with their english speaking ability and the broad interests of the ladies and girls I spoke with that I have returned several times.

It is their only source of income and if you actually spend time talking with them instead of just taking photos you will learn a lot.

As for tourist traps; the Flower Show is one of the biggest of all.....

Edited by silverhawk_usa

I visited a village that I believe was near Mae Hong Son. Had to travel by longtail boat. The village was run by Christian missionaries.

Met some wonderful people. I will never forget meeting three young girls who were sisters. One was a model student at the local school and spoke excellent English, and was a history buff.

I would like to visit again and see how they are getting along.