Sound proofing sliding glass doors

steveolevi

I looked into this before, believe your only option is heavy duty curtains, as far as I know there is no film that would help, you would still have to contend with the noise that would penetrate where the doors don't seal. My current house has zero sliding doors or windows, they are terrible when trying to insulate or keep the endless noise that Thai society produces at bay!

Good luck.

Properly made good quality sliding doors are fine for excluding noise. But good luck trying to find any proper ones here at any sort of sensible price. The cheap local frames as fitted to nearly all condo units here are absolute crap, barely thicker than a tin can and with no proper padding in the runners and the junctions. And single-glazed with the thinnest glass available.

I knew someone with a traffic noise problem here and he had a completely independent second layer of sliding doors fitted about 10cm in front of the existing ones. Whilst it was a bit of a pain to open both in order to get to the balcony in the morning he found that the noise reduction at night was very good and that he only needed to close the second layer whilst sleeping.

The price was literally 10 times less than thick imported replacements would have cost and they were made in a couple of days and fitted in just a few hours.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 5:39 PM, KittenKong said:

Properly made good quality sliding doors are fine for excluding noise. But good luck trying to find any proper ones here at any sort of sensible price. The cheap local frames as fitted to nearly all condo units here are absolute crap, barely thicker than a tin can and with no proper padding in the runners and the junctions. And single-glazed with the thinnest glass available.

I knew someone with a traffic noise problem here and he had a completely independent second layer of sliding doors fitted about 10cm in front of the existing ones. Whilst it was a bit of a pain to open both in order to get to the balcony in the morning he found that the noise reduction at night was very good and that he only needed to close the second layer whilst sleeping.

The price was literally 10 times less than thick imported replacements would have cost and they were made in a couple of days and fitted in just a few hours.

Good post .. a 60db wall/door ALONE will attenuate only about 6-8 db due to flanking sound.

On 11/15/2017 at 5:48 PM, bankruatsteve said:

If you don't need the view, you could tape some styrofoam sheets to the inside.  Otherwise, heavy drapes is the best option.

Sorry, but expanded polystyrene sheets glued to the inside of the glass will be virtually useless as a sound barrier. Pretty much ditto for heavy fabric drapes.

• 4 months later...

When I built a house in a couple of years. I want someone to build the wood frames for windows and the sliding doors. There must be a carpenter somewhere or at least someone there knows how to do.

The glasses I want to set in to reduce sounds are 5 m/m outside and 3 m/m on the inside with a little space between.  Instead of 5 m/m outside you can also consider plexiglass, not so easy to break through and then have 3m/m and 2m/m inside with a little space between. Yes, a little more expensive but not much noise from outside and with the plexiglass solution you don’t need the iron in front of windows.