thua lisong tao (ถั่วลิสงเถา)

Thian

I want to grow this under my fruittree's but do i have to cut this plant regularly? And how high will it grow without cutting?

thua lisong tao (ถั่วลิสงเถา) 

It is the yellow flowering grass...all over the place....

Edited by Thian

There was a lawn thread going somewhere about clover.

@drtreelove identified a 'clover-type' cover crop for lawns.

I think it was @FarmerJoe who said he had some growing and posted up a pic.

We've got loads of the stuff growing here and we're encouraging it to grow over the lawns, between rubber trees and bananas.....

Grows really low and forms a carpet that blocks out grasses. Hardly needs mowing. I'm hoping it's a good nitrogen fixer.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

I read a bit about this plant and it's very hard to get rid of.....also it spreads like 2 meters a year so will be all over the garden in no time...but worst is that rats and mouses plus maybe squirrels love to eat the peanuts, don't want anymore squirrels here, they steal fruit and worst of all they ruin the electric cables so we're out of power for many hours.

11 hours ago, Thian said:

I read a bit about this plant and it's very hard to get rid of.....also it spreads like 2 meters a year so will be all over the garden in no time...but worst is that rats and mouses plus maybe squirrels love to eat the peanuts, don't want anymore squirrels here, they steal fruit and worst of all they ruin the electric cables so we're out of power for many hours.

Er, they're not peanuts. Yes it's prolific but the stuff here stays about 1/2" deep. It's quite easy to keep out of the flower beds. Maybe you're looking at the wrong stuff?

Grass substitute is one thing, but there are pros and cons of ground cover under fruit trees. Consider competition for water and nutrients; if you provide enough for all, OK, but nitrogen fixing of a legume cover crop is only one aspect, there are of course many more plant nutrients that are used by ground covers and will therefore be less available to the fruit trees, unless supplied by a good soil fertility program. 

Raised beds? I would choose a thick layer of mulch instead of a live plant ground cover.

Mine isn't the small clover type. It's the large 3 leaf one Samsamourai shows. We keep letting it grow everywhere. Looks beautiful the way we have it arranged in our gardens. It does grow fast in the rain season. But little maintenance is needed. If you wish, I will take a photo of our place and send it to whoever would like to see how it grows in a controlled environment.